Bas Rutten is the most underrated heavyweight of all time

EXOICHO

PRIDE
@Black
Reaction score
It's crazy how such an important and well rounded pioneer of the sport seems to be virtually unknown to fans. 28-4 at heavyweight back when he was one of the first real well rounded fighters.

IMO hes a top 10 GOAT in heavyweight

2d1d7e3d7c0f38117b20a8395668239f.gif

Dat palm technique

If Bas is in there, Ken Shamrock would have to be.

I forget which fight it was but Ken subbed him like 9 times. Bas had to grab ropes to have the hold broken until Ken finally sunk it in the middle of the ring.

I met Bas and love the guy, but there's more than 10 HW's that come to mind when putting together an all time HW list.

As much as I like Ken, I honestly don't see him in there, either.

They both were definitely rounded fighters very early in the game.

Last edited:
Well, to defend TS, he’s never talked about on here.

Then again, this is UFC discussion.

I’ll never frown on a Bas Rutten thread though.

I still remember training to his cd over a decade ago... I'll forever hear him telling me to sprawl. I wasnt even doing MMA at the time, but one of our coaches used to use it for our warmup.

Bas is a legend, and shame on anyone that doesnt know about him

among casuals? absolutely
Almost every retired fighter is virtually unknown to current casuals, and Bas fought almost entirely in Pancrase more than 2 decades ago. That's like some dude who catches a few baseball games here and there knowing who played 3rd base for the cubs in the 90s.

Most fans who watch more than just Conor cards know who Bas is. He's been on Rogan a few times, his bar fighting tutorial has almost 2 million views and all the old pride fights with him commentating have a good number of views on youtube.

It's crazy how such an important and well rounded pioneer of the sport seems to be virtually unknown to fans. 28-4 at heavyweight back when he was one of the first real well rounded fighters.

He is unknown because he doesn't work for UFC. If he were working for UFC he would be well known.

Also he is consider overrated not underrated. This is the same man who laughed at a boxing coach who was trying to teach him how to jab and box and move in the states, he said the Jab is useless in MMA and said you shouldn't throw it, now its considered one of the most used tool in every top MMA fighters stand up game, the jab, the feint jab, the double jab etc.

jucied to the gills but super explosive nontheless. those are some fast kicks for a man his size
Bas is 5 foot 11 and 210 pounds there, he was considered a small heavyweight by modern standards, but he refused to cut weight.

As far as juicing its hard to say, but from his story saying he was a sickly skinny kid and his modeling photos and then hairloss before 30, Id say it wouldnt be out of the picture, he did get pretty burly quickly. he weighed 155 pounds which is how much he weighed modeling just 3 years before he started fighting and went all the way to 210 pounds.

A lot of the fighters juiced in those days.

Maybe TS is actually Bas Rutten's sister??

Any of you old fuckers remember when she used to post here? Bas did too. He had a great feud with Jason Delucia back in the day

Last edited:
now its considered one of the most used tool in every top MMA fighters stand up game, the jab, the feint jab, the double jab etc.
this comment makes it sound like there's a shit ton of guys just using the fuck out of it, yet i still find myself annoyed by the lack of jabs, jab feints and feints in general from 99.9% of MMA fighters.

Never KO'd in his entire career, either.

Fought most of his career in Japan in Pancrase, and he lost to Randleman. Still a legend of early MMA.

Back