Bas Rutten is the most underrated heavyweight of all time

He just discovered Bas and feels good about himself. Don't ruin it for him.

nice attempt at seeming cool

I've been an hardcore MMA fan since 2008. TUF noob but certainly not THAT new.

this comment makes it sound like there's a shit ton of guys just using the fuck out of it, yet i still find myself annoyed by the lack of jabs, jab feints and feints in general from 99.9% of MMA fighters.
They are not boxers. You tend to see more combinations and punch set ups from them. This is why i don't understand people shitting on 1 sport and praising the other. They are all fun and have a good stable of fighters.

Bas Rutten is one of the more well known guy from his era. Not sure where this is coming from, I would say after Ken Shamrock and Royce Gracie he is the most known 90s fighter - not including guys who started in the 90s but primed way later.

Well, to defend TS, he’s never talked about on here.

Then again, this is UFC discussion.

I’ll never frown on a Bas Rutten thread though.
Last time he fought in the UFC sherdog wasn't even around lol.

They are not boxers. You tend to see more combinations and punch set ups from them. This is why i don't understand people shitting on 1 sport and praising the other. They are all fun and have a good stable of fighters.

yeah pretty much only GSP and khabib come to mind immediately when i think of people who really work a stiff jab

I don’t know a single person outside of my local gyms who’ve ever heard the name Bas Rutten
And they've also never heard of Rickson Gracie, Sakuraba, or even Rich Franklin. They've never heard of anybody who's been retired for more than a couple years and haven't heard of 90% of the current roster.

yeah pretty much only GSP and khabib come to mind immediately when i think of people who really work a stiff jab
yeah and GSP developed that after investing a lot with freddie roach. I wish all of them were as well rounded but i find most to be wrestling or bjj and brawling with some very basic muay thai.

I'll always remember Bas for giving epic commentary alongside Stephen Quadros and then Mauro Ranallo on PrideFC events

Kevin Randleman got robbed in the fight against Bas Rutten. It was the biggest robbery in MMA history.

I honestly think those judges were racists. They knew damn well Randleman won and still gave it to Bas.

Kevin Randleman got robbed in the fight against Bas Rutten. It was the biggest robbery in MMA history.

I honestly think those judges were racists. They knew damn well Randleman won and still gave it to Bas.
nah, no hobbery there... kindah tricky 2 score tho..

Thread needs more El Guapo song...

Bas was easily a LHW,in modern world he could have cut down to MW too.

Bas Rutten is one of the more well known guy from his era. Not sure where this is coming from, I would say after Ken Shamrock and Royce Gracie he is the most known 90s fighter - not including guys who started in the 90s but primed way later.

My point exactly.

i understand they're not boxers, and i definitely didn't shit on any sport.

just replying to a guy who claims jabs are running rampant in MMA when they in fact are not, and i know this because i wish for more jabs during basically every fight. hell even a lot of pure boxers in boxing don't use it very well or often enough.

i understand they're not boxers, and i definitely didn't shit on any sport.

just replying to a guy who claims jabs are running rampant in MMA when they in fact are not, and i know this because i wish for more jabs during basically every fight. hell even a lot of pure boxers in boxing don't use it very well or often enough.
oh the post was intended to be general. I see so many insecure mma fans shit on boxing and vice versa when the 2 can co exist. The ones that don't jab well in boxing, will not have good longevity in the sport. Fundamentals win fights.

I will say this in the defense of Bas being lesser known... you cant compare Bas's popularity with Shamrock. Shamrock is known to many, many, many more people as Ken did a WWE stint that got him (and by default the UFC) a lot of exposure to casuals. I mean, come on, is there any point in time you could have walked down a walmart toy isle and seen Bas Rutten action figures being sold? Compared to Shamrock at that time, Bas may as well have been unknown.

Bassie is one of the pioneers, even before the UFC existed. Also a very funny and cool guy

I've noticed the same thing TS. For how great he was as a fighter, the dynamism and the liver shots alone he is not talked about enough.

If Bas is in there, Ken Shamrock would have to be.
I forget which fight it was but Ken subbed him like 9 times. Bas had to grab ropes to have the hold broken until Ken finally sunk it in the middle of the ring.
I met Bas and love the guy, but there's more than 10 HW's that come to mind when putting together an all time HW list.
As much as I like Ken, I honestly don't see him in there, either.
He was definitely a well rounded fighter very early in the game.

The Shamrocks were to Rutten as Sakuraba was to the Gracies

Back