Barao did better (than I remember) after rewatching the fight muted.

Kwic

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
When I was watching the fight with Rogan's commentary I thought that Barao was TOTALLY outclassed and completely destroyed every round, because well, let's be honest, it was a shocker so Rogan wasn't really focusing on what Barao landed but more of what T.J. landed and it's hard to blame him, it was spectacular.
While it's true that in round 1 T.J. landed that bomb and in round 5 he finished him, between rounds it wasn't a total domination when you watch the fight muted.
Round 2 was honestly drawish. Round 3 and 4 go to T.J. but it wasn't a domination like I thought it was. He landed more, sure, but it might have seemed like he totally outclassed him based on how well and fancy he moved, but if you watch the shots he and Barao landed, it wasn't such a one sided beatdown as I thought it was watching it the first time. Barao landed quite a few, but T.J. was unfazed, which made it seem like Barao didn't even land. At the end of round 4 Barao made some mistake with his spinning kick and fell to the ground and T.J. capitalized, but it's not like he took him down himself.

In general, I think that after Barao was nearly KO'ed in the first round, he never recovered, but still fought decently in hindsight. Althought, T.J. was superior in every facet in every round, no doubt about it.

Just thought I would share my view, because many people have the same view as I had with the voice on. With the voice off, it wasn't as loopsided as I thought, because I could really concentrate on the punches slipped and on the punches landed.
After first watching I didn't want to see the rematch beacause I thought that Barao was totally outclassed and won't show anything more in the rematch. But now, I think it would be a good fight, if he wasn't caught like he was in the first fight.
But he did seem confused with T.J's movement even prior to the knockdown.

Either way, T.J. is the man and he made a new fan for sure. But I will still be rooting for Barao in the second fight if it happens ;)
I want to see the dance!

TJ did a fkng amazing job that night, he just had Renan's number that night

Oh yeah, watching a fight on mute definitely makes the fight seem different

Yeah I agree. I still think TJ looked the better fighter by far but it wasn't one sided for the entire fight.

Yeah round 2 was close I thought Barao was slightly ahead until the low blow, then after that TJ took over the round. Round could have gone either way.

I didn't need to watch it muted to see that the fight wasn't a total domination the way Rogan made it seem. I thought the fight official stats were way off as well, just didn't seem like it was THAT large of a gap in the striking. I thought Dillashaw won all of the rounds but it wasn't like those rounds were rounds in which Dillashaw never got hit and Barao took an epic beating in.

When I was watching the fight with Rogan's commentary I thought that Barao was TOTALLY outclassed and completely destroyed every round.
While it's true that in round 1 T.J. landed that bomb and in round 5 he finished him, between rounds it wasn't a total domination when you watch the fight muted.
Round 2 was honestly drawish. Round 3 and 4 go to T.J. but it wasn't a domination like I thought it was. He landed more, sure, but it might have seemed like he totally outclassed him based on how well and fancy he moved, but if you watch the shots he and Barao landed, it wasn't such a one sided beatdown as I thought it was watching it the first time. Barao landed quite a few, but T.J. was unfazed, which made it seem like Barao didn't even land. At the end of round 4 Barao made some mistake with his spinning kick and fell to the ground and T.J. capitalized, but it's not like he took him down himself.

In general, I think that after Barao was nearly KO'ed in the first round, he never recovered, but still fought decently in hindsight. Althought, T.J. was superior in every facet in every round, no doubt about it.

Just thought I would share my view, because many people have the same view as I had with the voice on. With the voice off, it wasn't as loopsided as I thought, because I could really concentrate on the punches slipped and on the punches landed.
After first watching I didn't want to see the rematch beacause I thought that Barao was totally outclassed and won't show anything more in the rematch. But now, I think it would be a good fight, if he wasn't caught like he was in the first fight.
But he did seem confused with T.J's movement even prior to the knockdown.

Either way, T.J. is the man and he made a new fan for sure. But I will still be rooting for Barao in the second fight if it happens ;)
I want to see the dance!

I see what your sayin bruv, biased commentary or jus commentary in general can alter the way your viewing any fight. TJ was wearing Mayweather's sneakers tht Saturday night or something! Lol

He had a good 2nd round which he arguably one. Other than that it was all TJ from my memory.

I watched it on mute and still though TJ beat him pretty bad. Round 2 was close but I thought it was close when I watched it in real time.

I'm not arguing with u guys, those who said Barao took a beating, he did. Just not as bad as I thought he did in between rounds, which, of course, doesn't change the outcome of the fight- he was finished.

You have to realize rogan has a huge crush on TJ and Ludwig.

They help sell his products for Onnit, and during their podcasts together brought them up like 200x.

You have to realize rogan has a huge crush on TJ and Ludwig.

They help sell his products for Onnit, and during their podcasts together brought them up like 200x.

Thanks for the info ;)

The fight was by no means as one sided as, say, the co-main event of that same card. Barao hung in there, and landed strikes of his own. Fights always appear more lopsided when it's the underdog who's winning, since there's some negative bias towards the favorite. I think that was also the case with Jones-Gus to a lesser extent.

Ultimately though, after Dillashaw got through round 2, it really seemed like he had the fight won.

If there was a round for Barao to rebound history generally says it will be round 2 -- see Machida-Jones, Andy-Silva II. When he didn't, TJ knew he was in the drivers seat.

Rounds 3 and 4 were about winning the rounds for TJ and not giving Barao any momentum. Then in round 5 when it was clear he was winning on the scorecards, he went for it

Someone makes this thread after every event.

Saying Barao did better than you expected is like saying Fabio Maldonado did better than one expected because Stipe Miocic only landed 11 punches the entire fight.

I was drunk when watching it and thought it was relatively competitive but had no doubt TJ was winning...The volume was on.....I was wasted....

Is it really so easy to be manipulated based off of what Rogan is saying?

Anyway you slice it he lost all 4 rounds then got finished.

He might have done better than you remember but only marginally.

Whatever the case, it was a onesided asswhiping.

Back