• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Banging the Iron

Dan, you're right. I should stop fucking around and find a coach. I definitely would benefit from being around other lifters. I don't feel like I have much potential, But I do want to maximize to see and not have any regrets later on. Why I haven't? I'm honestly scared. Moving away, taking shit from people who would assume I'm once again shirking responsibility instead of actually chasing a worthwhile goal. Ect.. Ect..

My JauntySense just tingled.

I honestly believe that Oly lifting has something to teach you about life. And that's that, sometimes, you have to commit completely without fear of failure. If you hesitate or half-ass nothing happens. A damp squib, or an embarrassing failure. At the very best, mediocrity. What I admire about proper Oly lifters is that they don't hold back. With a max attempt they throw themselves into that moment with no possibility of backing out, not sure what will be the outcome, only knowing that they will give it their all to get the right outcome.

Life can be like that. Sometimes, there are amazing things out there, but you have to take a big risk to grab them. If you just stay where you are, or you make a half-assed attempt, you won't get them. That means, in practice, sometimes you have to step out into the unknown. Give up a good job, or a comfortable situation. Walk out on a relationship that is good but not great. Risk everyone's confusion or disapproval.

Fear is okay- unless part of your brain is disconnected, it is a natural response to being in a very risky situation. But with risk comes reward. I think people who succeed at high level actively seek out those fear-inducing situations. And it stops becoming something that makes them cower and hold back, and instead becomes something that makes them feel jazzed and excited. Maybe that is part of good lifter's psychology (although possibly a lot of them are also "warrior" types who aren't very good at feeling fear in the first place).

TL;DR- pull the fuck out of the bar of life, and then jump under that bastard; no hesitation, full commitment.

I whole heartedly agree with Jaunty's post.

I know you're young and have special family circumstances.

That being said, you're lifting weights that are in excess of what's expected of a lifter at your age, experience level, and without any coaching.

My man, what I'm saying is the same ol', same ol' bullshit. You only live once, and/or you're only young once.

Seek out a decent coach and see what happens. I'd love to see you on the podium.

Jaunty is some kind of superhero or psychopath. I don't know which. But I'd want him in my corner regardess.

My JauntySense just tingled.

I honestly believe that Oly lifting has something to teach you about life. And that's that, sometimes, you have to commit completely without fear of failure. If you hesitate or half-ass nothing happens. A damp squib, or an embarrassing failure. At the very best, mediocrity. What I admire about proper Oly lifters is that they don't hold back. With a max attempt they throw themselves into that moment with no possibility of backing out, not sure what will be the outcome, only knowing that they will give it their all to get the right outcome.

Life can be like that. Sometimes, there are amazing things out there, but you have to take a big risk to grab them. If you just stay where you are, or you make a half-assed attempt, you won't get them. That means, in practice, sometimes you have to step out into the unknown. Give up a good job, or a comfortable situation. Walk out on a relationship that is good but not great. Risk everyone's confusion or disapproval.

Fear is okay- unless part of your brain is disconnected, it is a natural response to being in a very risky situation. But with risk comes reward. I think people who succeed at high level actively seek out those fear-inducing situations. And it stops becoming something that makes them cower and hold back, and instead becomes something that makes them feel jazzed and excited. Maybe that is part of good lifter's psychology (although possibly a lot of them are also "warrior" types who aren't very good at feeling fear in the first place).

TL;DR- pull the fuck out of the bar of life, and then jump under that bastard; no hesitation, full commitment.

1361214855_slow-clap-gif.gif

Jaunty is some kind of superhero or psychopath. I don't know which. But I'd want him in my corner regardess.

We all need a little Jaunty in our corner.

Well shit, Jaunty. I appreciate the input.

Going to log and then go think about what you fellas said

Snatch
105X1+2hang
110 2x3
110 3X1

I didn't feel particularly good today. Went 3 for 3, though.

Clean and jerk
125x1+1
130x1+1
136X1+1
140X1+F
140 5x1

Squat
182 6x4
182x6

Obviously I cannot create the atmosphere of a meet and what not, but I wanted to put some pressure on myself. I decided to give myself limited attempts/Rest and just go. 5/6 would be decent, but these were ideal circumstances so I think it's pretty much a fail.

I think next month I'll give this another go.

Power snatch
90x3
100 5X3

Clean
125x1(Power)
130X1
130x3

Aaaand I started fucking up. So I called it quits. I'll rebound next time.

squats
170x3
182 2x6

Push press
100X5
110 2x5

Clean and jerk
100X3+2
120X2+1
130X1+1
140x1+1+belt
145XF
150X1+F rushed it. Fucking stupid of me. I almost had it despite all of the technique issues. Fucker.
145x1
140 2X1
130 4x3

Clean deads
170 2x3
200x1
210x5 + belt.

That sounds fanfuckingtastic, Tosa. Changing everything now.

Belphy job update:

I might get first shift. Tons of other shit involved. I probably won't and I'll probably get offended at being passed over. Again.

Snatch + hang snatch above knee
90x1+2
100 2x1+2
105 x3+1+2

The last set was baller.

Hang clean + jerk
120x2+1
130 3x2+1

Squat
180x1
190x1

No push. So I just said fuckit. I'll get it going Thursday.

You're missing because you're not curling often enough.

You're missing because you're not curling often enough.

How dare you. I curl erryday

snatch
100 2x3
105x2
110xF

Clean
136x1

I just had a turrible day. My hands were sweaty and I just had no grip, It really affected me.

Squat
140x3(front)
170x3
190x1
190 4x3+belt

Front squat+ Jerk
100x2+ Pushpress
110x2+ Pushpress
120x2+jerk
130x2+jerk

Better start than finish, I guess. I wanted something to go right.

I get covered on accident. I try not to get too messy

I've adjusted my baw bag right after chalking up. This makes you look fantastic.

Too sweaty in here. Chalk just gets absorbed on my shorts.

My sweat level since switchig to a more 531ish type training has reached epic proportions. I hadn't really put on a sweat in my previous lifting.

I look like a fat kid swimming lately. My shirt has been soaked.

Halt snatch
60x3
90x3
100 2x2
105X2
110 4x1

Clean
120X2
136xfX2
136x1

Honestly, I just stunk. No belt today for the cleans.

Squat
190x1
185 6X2 +belt.

I'm in a small funk lately and its starting to affect my lifts.

Back