Bands you identified with when you were younger and now..

Really liking your music choices. I don't think Manson gets as much credit as he deserves. His Manson and the Spooky Kids era in the 90s were awesome too. He also help introduce one of lead girl rock metal bands Jack Off Jill. There's a really good story in his autobiography about how him and Jessica (lead singer of Jack Off Jill) both got arrested at a concert. Their lucky they didn't have to register as sex offenders lol.
Yeah i mean it was outrageous stuff for the time. Music had become boring,and i realized i really liked the showmanship and the danger of rock and roll. That was a big draw for me. I wasnt a normal dude,and i had no interest in any of that. I wanted to hear from people who threw a monkey wrench in the typical way people behave.

Pantera. I still love their music. But I can't say I really agree with the confederate flag shit and Phil's not so subtle nods to white power and stuff like that. That said, when I first got into them, I was in high school with a lot of black kids who were from poor households and there was a lot of racial tension. So of course I took to that shit.
Liked them alot,as performers and musicians,but never really cared about their personal views or any of that. I can still listen to most of their music except for Vulgar,its just kinda caveman stupid to me now,but they improved alot on the next two albums.

Social Distortion. I found them through Tony Hawk Pro Skater I believe, They really are perfect because Mike Ness's lyrics allow you to grow up with him since they have been around so long. He has been through good times, bad times and in between while doing a good job making it all relatable to the listener

A musician's beliefs don't really occur to me when listening to their music.

One thing I sometimes think about is how Chick Corea, one of my favorite pianists, a living legend in the jazz world, is a Scientologist. It's hard to reconcile how someone I consider to be a musical genius, residing on an exalted plane even, could believe in such a shady organization that is so obviously a con.

He doesn't really talk about it as far as I know, but he doesn't hide it either, and a lot of his song titles and lyrics reference Scientology. He also has a written dedication to L Ron Hubbard in most or all of his albums.

Last edited:
The 90s were an interesting time for Rock. The death of Hair bands. The rise of Grunge, and downtuned hard rock. Lyrics mattered, the music was real. Really cool hard chick bands paved by Courtney Love. Lots of cool metal bands. And then Nu metal and bands like Korn and Slipknot. Best hip hop generation by far. So kids had choices. They could identify. Now they are told what to like and it's all manufactured crap.

Liked them alot,as performers and musicians,but never really cared about their personal views or any of that. I can still listen to most of their music except for Vulgar,its just kinda caveman stupid to me now,but they improved alot on the next two albums.
I like Vulgar for the most part. But I've noticed it is a lot of people's favorite. I think it's nostalgia more than anything in their case. IMO Far Beyond Driven is their best.

The 90s were an interesting time for Rock. The death of Hair bands. The rise of Grunge, and downtuned hard rock. Lyrics mattered, the music was real. Really cool hard chick bands paved by Courtney Love. Lots of cool metal bands. And then Nu metal and bands like Korn and Slipknot. Best hip hop generation by far. So kids had choices. They could identify. Now they are told what to like and it's all manufactured crap.
Fucking nailed it. The shit out in the mainstream today is completely nutless. They take no chances. They have no opinion. No passion. They just write the songs they think are going to stand to make the most money by appealing to the widest audience possible and alienating no one. At least not with the lyrics. And I wouldn't be surprised if all the bands on the radio these days aren't even writing their own songs, but have studio musicians writing for them.

I like Vulgar for the most part. But I've noticed it is a lot of people's favorite. I think it's nostalgia more than anything in their case. IMO Far Beyond Driven is their best.
Vulgar has its moments but the riffs are so dumb...the leads are always good. Southern trendkill is my fave but far beyond driven is almost just as good for me. Darker stuff and a marked improvement. The last one was meh because they tried to go back to appease their bro dude fanbase from the vulgar days and it kinda failed. I think Phil wanted to continue down the route established on Trendkill and FBD and thats why he left and did Down. The first Down record is better than anything Pantera did to me.I got to see them live with Black Sabbath and Deftones in 1999.

Far Beyond Driven was my first exposure to Pantera and hands downs still my favorite

I remember being taken aback when Bruce Dickenson came out with Tattooed Millionaire. It definitely took some of the shine off Iron Maiden for me for a bit. I think that's why I don't like anything they did after Somewhere In Time.

Not that I'm aware of, but I don't know how the beliefs of many bands I used to listen to have changed.

The Misfits. I got mad at what Jerry did with the band after Glenn left and he reformed it in the 90's, but I kind of forgave him with the reunion gigs this year. Not sure if this applies to what TS was talking about, but i still love the original Misfits.

No Joke, Power Metal is my fave Pantera album

True story:

I used to knock about with a guy in my home town. He was David Bowie's biggest fan for years. He suddenly stopped listening to him one day because "He's a poof".

True story:

I used to knock about with a guy in my home town. He was David Bowie's biggest fan for years. He suddenly stopped listening to him one day because "He's a poof".
damn people are assholes. he wasnt even gay lol

damn people are assholes. he wasnt even gay lol

Yup, small town mentality. 1 gay experience = gay.

Last conversation I ever had with the guy:

"Alright Dave, Merry Christmas."

"Same to you mate."

(Under my breath) "Mr. Lawrence"

"Shut the fuck up."

I still listen to Judas Priest....yeah the imagery now seems a bit obvious lol....I mean all that leather...but in the end music is about what it makes you feel. Judas Priest makes me want to stand on a speaker sticking my tongue out giving the devil horns sign. Kids that grow up with hip pop and Bieber will never know what it feels like to be in arena with 20,000 screaming head banging fans listening to music that you feel in your bones.

chamber-logo.png

When I was but a sprog, I listened to the likes of Green Day, Busted, and Linmin Park. Now, I like The Smiths, Pulp, and Pink Floyd, and a whole lot others.

From pre-teen angst, to depressive diatribe, I guess.

Back