• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Ban alcohol

agreed, but that doesn't stop the massive amount of money spent on the drug war, which literally has had no demonstrable benefit on drug usage. A 3500% increase in spending on fighting drugs between 1970 and 2011 had no effect on daily use of marijuana, heroin, or any type of cocaine.

thats exactly what im saying, thinking you can stop people from doing drugs/drinking is ridiculously silly as proved to us from 1920 to 1933 and basically since 1930 when Harry Anslinger came around

Alcohol deaths could be cut down by getting repeat offenders off the road. Minnesota just sentenced a man to two years in prison for his 28 drunken driving conviction.
The most prolific drunken driver in Minnesota history, with 28 arrests, won’t be adding to that infamous tally for at least the next two-plus years.

Danny Lee Bettcher will be in prison until well into 2020 for his latest conviction for driving while intoxicated.
http://www.startribune.com/judge-lo...nken-driving-for-next-2-plus-years/474208563/

Here in Wisconsin, it's very common to see reports of people being arrested for 6th offense and over.

I think we ban alcohol and legalize marijuana and become a much more chill country.

Not really but....

Every day 28 people die in an alcohol-related car accident

• In 2015, 10,265 people died in alcohol-impaired driving crashes, accounting for nearly one-third (29%) of all traffic-related deaths in the United States.
  • 209 0 to 14 yr old were killed in 2015
  • The annual cost of alcohol-related crashes totals more than $44 billion
https://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafety/impaired_driving/impaired-drv_factsheet.html

So due to alcohol 10,000 people a year die. There Is zero benefit to alcohol.

That's just traffic accidents.

In 2017 there were 15,549 people killed by guns in the United States in 2017.

https://www.thetrace.org/rounds/gun-deaths-increase-2017/

We'll look at that those numbers..Those are pretty comparable. I don't understand why we're not all talking about banning alcohol. what's the difference?

Legit question
Personally I do see alcohol as a greater social ill than firearm ownership and I'd be more okay with restricting alcohol further than guns.

At most I would ban bars completely and enact even stricter penalties for drunk driving in addition to lowering the legal BAC.

Maybe someone is.

You could theoretically stop people if you are willing to go to an ISIS level type authoritarian society (or a few shades lighter).

In Western societies though yeah, I'd agree it's virtually impossible, like it is with getting people to stop smoking the ganja.

But I do think the more interesting question why do we always have to portray alcohol as a bad thing.

alcohol is still widely consumed and trafficked in countries with very strict laws against it

same with drugs

if you think in an "authoritarian" society the people "in authority" will not continue to consume alcohol and most likely be the principle traffickers in alcohol then we really are just gonna have to go our seperate ways in this discussion

creating a blackmarket, driving demand up while supply down is, as we've learned from 100's of years of history, a terrible idea

I would gladly vote to outright ban ArmaLite style rifles if it would get the liberals to shut up. My brother has a Daniel Defense AR15 and bump stock but it's all for fun. You don't need one to hunt and you dont need one to defend yourself. My semi-auto Benelli M4 is more than enough to kill intruders at home and any handgun is more than enough to defend against assailants on the street. The .223 versions of the rifle are meant for accurate mid to long range targets which is not self defense, it's straight up battle. Or in many cases targeted mass murder.

So the idea is to get rid of these rifles, so that the shooter can only fire 60 rounds per minute, instead of 120 rounds?

Little lesson to you all about Vietnam and the M16A1 fully automatic rifle vs the M16A2 3 round burst version.

They changed this rifle because they found that soldiers were just wasting ammo, and not hitting targets. That by forcing them to a semi-automatic rifle, they forced the soldiers to aim at their target, which created more efficient enemy kill to ammo ratio's.

Wouldn't it be sad, if by getting rid of rifles people can shoot from their hip at rapid fire, like they see in the movies, if removing these rifles actually forced these mass shooters to aim, and made them more deadly?

Think about it. How many rounds did the las Vegas shooter fire? What was his hit ratio?

What if he was using a regular .308 hunting rifle with a scope, aiming at targets?

How many would have died then?

Are you aware that the annual number of shootings in America have risen in lockstep with the number of guns in circulation? What an unexpected correlation.

Is that per capita or is that in lockstep with our population raising as well?

Alcohol deaths could be cut down by getting repeat offenders off the road. Minnesota just sentenced a man to two years in prison for his 28 drunken driving conviction.

http://www.startribune.com/judge-lo...nken-driving-for-next-2-plus-years/474208563/

Here in Wisconsin, it's very common to see reports of people being arrested for 6th offense and over.

We put a dude in jail for life for his 10th DWI here in Texas.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/W...to-Life-in-Prison-for-10th-DWI-366068451.html

Sure it could. But here is your paradox. As a capitalist society we know where there is demand, supply finds a way.

So how do you stop demand, because that is the only way you could ever possibly stop supply.

The way you stop demand is by creating some sort of utopian or ultra authoritarian society.

Alcohol is the number one over the counter pain medicine for capitalism, it just has some pretty serious side effects.

Alcohol serves many functions that make it attractive:
1) it's heavily taxed, and a lot of people on entitlements give back some of their entitlement money to where it comes from through this
2) it lowers the filter that everybody has with respect to openness and honesty because of all the very unnatural insecurities we have that develop from always being given feelings of inadequacy to keep economic production high.

At the end of the day, I believe in people's core we know the hypocrisies in our character, and harsh realities of our modern lives. Most of us are locked in the proverbial doing a job you don't like, for shit you need, to impress people you don't like; driven by an onslaught of consumerism backed by big business and government who work together; ultimately often pitting people against each other.

Reality, most people spend so much of their life working in situations where they are literally just a number. Alcohol is one of the primary tools of society for people to rebalance and curb the impact of this harsh reality of what life is.

My next crazy assertion is it's crazy people like ISIS who try to destroy all alcohol. No society that tries to outlaw it I think is making a wise decision. The best approach is Buddhist approach - drinking is not a sin. A clouded mind is the sin. But the thing is that goes with the buddhist system with elements of minimalism, whereas western capitalism is on the other end of the spectrum where it is intentionally designed to continuously cloud your mind by way of advertising / mass media / and live to work instead of work to live mentality. Alcohol is an elixir that tilts a person's mental state back into a more primal level.

I know pretty much nobody will agree with me... but that's how I feel.

Are you aware that the annual number of shootings in America have risen in lockstep with the number of guns in circulation? What an unexpected correlation.

That is. But I don't see the possible correlation. How would that work?

It seems to me to be the same kind of idea that if you made cocaine legal, all of a sudden Suzy house wife will start doing 8 balls off of male stripper cocks.

The way you stop demand is by creating some sort of utopian or ultra authoritarian society.

Alcohol is the number one over the counter pain medicine for capitalism, it just has some pretty serious side effects.

Alcohol serves many functions that make it attractive:
1) it's heavily taxed, and a lot of people on entitlements give back some of their entitlement money to where it comes from through this
2) it lowers the filter that everybody has with respect to openness and honesty because of all the very unnatural insecurities we have that develop from always being given feelings of inadequacy to keep economic production high.

At the end of the day, I believe in people's core we know the hypocrisies in our character, and harsh realities of our modern lives. Most of us are locked in the proverbial doing a job you don't like, for shit you need, to impress people you don't like; driven by an onslaught of consumerism backed by big business and government who work together; ultimately often pitting people against each other.

Reality, most people spend so much of their life working in situations where they are literally just a number. Alcohol is one of the primary tools of society for people to rebalance and curb the impact of this harsh reality of what life is.

My next crazy assertion is it's crazy people like ISIS who try to destroy all alcohol. No society that tries to outlaw it I think is making a wise decision. The best approach is Buddhist approach - drinking is not a sin. A clouded mind is the sin. But the thing is that goes with the buddhist system with elements of minimalism, whereas western capitalism is on the other end of the spectrum where it is intentionally designed to continuously cloud your mind by way of advertising / mass media / and live to work instead of work to live mentality. Alcohol is an elixir that tilts a person's mental state back into a more primal level.

I know pretty much nobody will agree with me... but that's how I feel.

The only part I take exception to, is that you left out that weed is probably a better option.

Is that per capita or is that in lockstep with our population raising as well?

That is. But I don't see the possible correlation. How would that work?

It seems to me to be the same kind of idea that if you made cocaine legal, all of a sudden Suzy house wife will start doing 8 balls off of male stripper cocks.

I went looking for the chart I saw yesterday responding to HereticBD, but couldn't find it.

But I did find charts that show:

-states with more guns have more gun deaths
-developed countries with more guns have more gun deaths
-states with tighter gun control have fewer gun-related deaths
-states with the most guns have the most suicides
-programs that limit access to guns have decreased suicides
-states with more guns have more cops killed on duty

(And according to these charts I was wrong: there is MORE than one mass shooting per day in America.)

So I propose this mad idea that places that have more guns have more shootings compared to places with less guns. I know, I know, it's a mad proposition to suggest that there is more than a statistical connection between guns and shootings or that easy access to guns results in more people easily shooting others.

For the record: I'm not saying gun control is even possible in America, but don't play games and suggest that access to guns or the proliferation of guns doesn't influence the number of shootings. Because that is insane.

How many of those shootings involve people?

Even though there are an absurd amount of people shot by their dogs (Murica), I have to concede that most shootings are perpetrated by people. So instead of restricting people's access to firearms, I grudgingly concede that maybe restricting firearms' access to people is the way to go.

That gun death Stat is incredibly cherry picked. It excludes suicides. It'd be about 40,000 if that obvious gun death Stat wasn't excluded, which it should be.

Last edited:
Firearm violence has been going down over the last 20 years.

Back