Back Stability

Chris Beeby

Brown Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
I know that the lower back loses stability when stretched out, i.e. sitting in poor posture, but is the same true for the rhimboids/lower traps?

I'll slouch in my seat at school while reading/etc. so as to not get super close to whatever I'm reading and stretch out my lower back, but my last workout, when I would feel my upper back tight, it looked arched/in flexion.

Should I just do supermans to be sure? Should I not stretch my hips at all with a rounded back (hard to do)? Should I just sit up straight all day (hard to break the habit)?

It will serve you well to maintain good posture whatever you're doing. The problem is not that your back muscles get "stretched out" when you slouch. The problem is that you are letting your muscles get weak because you are not using them to maintain good posture.

I know that the lower back loses stability when stretched out, i.e. sitting in poor posture, but is the same true for the rhimboids/lower traps?

I'll slouch in my seat at school while reading/etc. so as to not get super close to whatever I'm reading and stretch out my lower back, but my last workout, when I would feel my upper back tight, it looked arched/in flexion.

Should I just do supermans to be sure? Should I not stretch my hips at all with a rounded back (hard to do)? Should I just sit up straight all day (hard to break the habit)?

Break the habit, imho. In 6 weeks you forget you're doing it.

Chase, the av is pure gold.

Keep good posture, no reason not to.

What were you doing anyways? something like front squats is very taxing on the upper back for stability regardless of your daily posture

Keep good posture, no reason not to.

What were you doing anyways? something like front squats is very taxing on the upper back for stability regardless of your daily posture

Clean pulls between sets of front squats. Not DIRECTLY after, after resting about a minute.

I'm fixing my posture as we speak, but was my inference on the stability correct?

Clean pulls between sets of front squats. Not DIRECTLY after, after resting about a minute.

I'm fixing my posture as we speak, but was my inference on the stability correct?

Sort of. Poor posture -> weak muscles -> poor stability. Unless you're getting hypermobility (think super flexible yoga people or contortionists), flexibility is a good thing.

Check.

Thanks guys.

I'm going to revive this with my results most likely.

Back