• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

B.J. Penn Was The First To Hold Two Belts Simultaneously ( Proof Inside )

Demetrious Johnson went home 10 times victorious in championship fights without taking home a championship belt.

GSP made claims that the UFC didn't give him a belt for at least one of his championships fights ( possibly the Hendricks fight ).
Looks like he got plenty of them by the UFC
image.jpg

Instead both fighters became co-champions.
Co-Champion is something that has been made up...

Did Buffer announced Uno and Penn after the fight as Co-Champions?...or Dana...or somebody else by the UFC?

Buffer: this fight is a Draw!...AND NOW THEEE CO-CHAMPIONS OF THE UFC LIGHTWEIGHT DIVISION: BJ PENN AND CAOL UNO!!!
This never happened...

@MRDOG

Your loophole is falling apart ;)

BJ's Wiki:
In 2003, after Pulver left the UFC and relinquished his title, a tournament to crown a new champion flopped when Penn fought Uno to a draw in the finals at UFC 41, a failure which caused the UFC to later suspend its lightweight division

There you go ts
...Penn received his first UFC Championship in 2004 at UFC 46: Supernatural. Penn jumped up in weight classes to challenge the five-time defending UFC Welterweight ChampionMatt Hughes to fill a title contention slot in a division where Hughes had already defeated all the available opposition

But you replied. Is this really where you are at in your life?

No shit?
I replied to a thread about BJ's belt with a joke about that exact belt and how it pertains to the topic.
I guess that's where i am in my life, making bad MMA jokes relevant to the topic on an MMA site, what's your excuse? Just working on your post count?

No I mean the B.J. and Uno that fought for the UFC LW championships at UFC 41.

And yes they were declared co-champions.

The division continued just not in the UFC.

You don't loose the belt / title just because no fights have taking place after you won the title. Until a new UFC LW champion was crowned.. B.J. Penn was the co-champion.
Nope, Buffer announced the fight a draw and did not declare anyone the champion.
Source: Post-fight of Penn vs. Uno II at UFC 41.

Pulver was the lineal champion and defeated both Penn and Uno during his reign.

Nah ultimate warrior did after he shocked the world and beat hogan at wrestlemania 6

@MRDOG

Your loophole is falling apart ;)

BJ's Wiki:
In 2003, after Pulver left the UFC and relinquished his title, a tournament to crown a new champion flopped when Penn fought Uno to a draw in the finals at UFC 41, a failure which caused the UFC to later suspend its lightweight division

There you go ts
...Penn received his first UFC Championship in 2004 at UFC 46: Supernatural. Penn jumped up in weight classes to challenge the five-time defending UFC Welterweight ChampionMatt Hughes to fill a title contention slot in a division where Hughes had already defeated all the available opposition

It also says ...

Penn was also a Co-champion in the UFC 41 Lightweight Tournament, due to an eventual draw opposite Caol Uno in the tournament finale.

And Caol Uno wiki says,

He is the Co-Champion of the UFC 41 Lightweight Tournament

UFC announced them as co-champions as well. I have no idea who did. I am not claiming Buffer did but someone on the that broadcast announced it that night after the fight before the event ended.

Just face the facts folks.

B.J. Penn was the co lw champion and ww champion at the same time.

at the very least ....

He was the #1 LW in the world + WW champion at the same time and since UFC no longer had a LW division. That would be the same as being champs in two divisions. Similar to how a WEC belt was the premier belt for the lower weight divisions before UFC bought them out and swallowed their roster.

The first statement is correct but if you don't at least agree with the second .. you are likely a B.J. Penn hater.

Looks like he got plenty of them by the UFC

Eventually the UFC gave him 10 belts but he still went home without them after the fight. Which answered the question asked of me.

Co-Champion is something that has been made up...

No it's not. It is possible to have co-champions. In an event that there is a tie in a championship anything ... it's possible that both be participants be named co-champions.

Did Buffer announced Uno and Penn after the fight as Co-Champions?...or Dana...or somebody else by the UFC?

Buffer: this fight is a Draw!...AND NOW THEEE CO-CHAMPIONS OF THE UFC LIGHTWEIGHT DIVISION: BJ PENN AND CAOL UNO!!!
This never happened...

I have no Idea who announced it but someone did after the fight and before the broadcast was over.

Even if he wasn't officially the LW champ, we all know he was the #1 LW for the next 7 years. #1 in the world in 2 weight classes for sure after beating Gomi and Hughes

Incorrect .. it was announced after the fight that they were co-champions.

They fought at a UFC event for the UFC Title. It was a draw and announced that they were co-champions by the UFC but somehow ... its unofficial .....

Nope ... people just fell for the recent hype and forgot about this little tidbit of history. UFC doesn't mention it due to not wanting to hurt the cash flow they generate from the smoke and mirrors that is Conor Mcgregor.
It's unofficial because the UFC decided to do away with the whole division, and therefore, its champions.

It's unofficial because the UFC decided to do away with the whole division, and therefore, its champions.

UFC deciding to not put on any more LW fights doesn't make his championship void. It just means he can't defend the title.

Which brings me to the question ( which likely can't be answered correctly ). When did the UFC officially drop the LW division ?

Does everyone realize that the time between B.J. becoming co-lw champion and UFC ww champion is only about a year ? We are not talking 10 years apart. We are not even talking 3 - 5 years apart. One fight took place in 2003 and the other in 2004.

I never said the UFC division continued outside the UFC. I said the division continued and B.J. Penn fought the best there was in the division outside and inside the UFC.

You admit yourself that it is there.

As per your own words ...

"BJ penn was the first and only simultaneous title and co-titleholder."

Give credit where it is due ... B.J. Penn did it first. Don't be fooled by the hype.

Uno Wiki - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caol_Uno

He ( Caol Uno ) is the Co-Champion of the UFC 41 Lightweight Tournament ( which the winner would have been the new UFC Lightweight Champion)

B.J. Wiki - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B.J._Penn

Penn was also a Co-champion in the UFC 41 Lightweight Tournament, due to an eventual draw opposite Caol Uno in the tournament

Read the full wikki if you want.

I did read the wiki. Did you read the wiki about who's held the lw title? He didn't hold the title after the tournament.

Being a co champion in the tournament is not the same thing as holding the lw title. He was not the lw champion. The only thing he was declared as was the co champion OF THE TOURNAMENT, nothing more.

I did read the wiki. Did you read the wiki about who's held the lw title? He didn't hold the title after the tournament.

Being a co champion in the tournament is not the same thing as holding the lw title. He was not the lw champion. The only thing he was declared as was the co champion OF THE TOURNAMENT, nothing more.

Co - LW - champion

Thank you for posting this .. Lmao !

You can't source wiki lmao.

Agreed it's a shitty source but B.J. isn't given the credit for it even though it happened. Both B.J. and Uno were both named co-champions on the fight card broadcast.

Of the tournament.

That was held in the the .... ( wait for it ) .... LW division to determine ...... ( another long pause ) ........ the LW Champion.

Which ended up in a draw ... making B.J. Penn and Uno co-champions of both the tournament and LW division.

Facts only... I like what you're putting down my friend. Anyone who followed the sport at that time knows BJ Penn is one of the greatest ever. Didn't care about records, just wanted to challenge himself and used the frame of a 145lber to challenge - Matt Hughes, GSP, and LYOTO MACHIDA.

Back