• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

B.J. Penn Was The First To Hold Two Belts Simultaneously ( Proof Inside )

giphy.gif

dont worry dude..... I'll salvage this thread

Yes ?

Just because the division was removed it doesn't take away the fact that he was declared the Co-Champion before hand.

No it doesn't. And it doesn't take away the fact that after the division is closed there is no division and thus no champion. Sorry homie, the fact that the division was closed pretty much voids your argument.

So he became champion without beating anyone and never had to defend it because the division was dissolved....... Lol cmon man. That is #1 bullshit

No he became Co-Champion of the LW division by fighting his way to the finals of a LW tournament in which the winner was to be declared the UFC LW Champion.

The championship fight just so happen to end in a draw at which time the both contestants ( Penn & Uno ) were declared Co-Champions.

Co-champ of a division that didn't exist when he won the 170 title
LoL at this reach

Sad

It existed ... just not in the UFC. Penn fought the best outside of the UFC as well as in it and went on to not loose a LW bout after being declared the UFC LW co-champion until 2010

Yes, you read the title right but before you dismiss my claim hear me out.

On Feb. 28 / 2003 at UFC 41 Penn and Uno fought to a split draw after a five round LW championship bout.

Judges scored the bout :

48–47 Uno
48–46 Penn
48–48

This match was the final match of a 4-man tournament that took place over several cards to crown a new lightweight champion. After the fight was ruled a draw, both men were declared Co-champions of the UFC LW division.

- After UFC 41,2003, Penn wouldn't loose at LW until 2010.
- In that same time frame he also defeated Matt Hughes for the UFC WW title.
- UFC removed the LW division after B.J. and Uno were declared the co-champions.
- Making B.J. Penn the last UFC LW champion before winning the WW Belt.

Technically B.J. Penn was the Co-UFC LW Champion and WW Champion after defeating Hughes. Making him the first ever UFC fighter to hold two UFC Belts at the same time.
Seems wrong to me...

How can you win a title after a draw?
Did they hand out 2 belts?

In his next fight he won the WW strap and left the UFC for japan.

Came back in a loss against GSP and then went back to LW...where became champion after beating Sherk (Stevenson was for the interim)

You mean the same Uno and Penn who lost against the lineal champion (Pulver) who left the organization due to a contract dispute?

And the UFC Lightweight title remained vacant after Uno and Penn's draw, they weren't declared co-champions <Lmaoo>.

No I mean the B.J. and Uno that fought for the UFC LW championships at UFC 41.

And yes they were declared co-champions.

No it doesn't. And it doesn't take away the fact that after the division is closed there is no division and thus no champion. Sorry homie, the fact that the division was closed pretty much voids your argument.

The division continued just not in the UFC.

You don't loose the belt / title just because no fights have taking place after you won the title. Until a new UFC LW champion was crowned.. B.J. Penn was the co-champion.

- UFC removed the LW division after B.J. and Uno were declared the co-champions.
provide a source please

EDIT: ok i see you answered this already. i don't have fightpass right now, but i'll go find it and watch it.

EDIT 2: no i wont. i see your source (or lack thereof) and raise you a source

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_41

For the UFC Lightweight Championship. Penn and Uno fought to a split draw after five rounds. Judges scored the bout 48–47 Uno, 48–46 Penn, and 48–48. This match was the final match of a 4-man tournament that took place over several cards to crown a new lightweight champion, the first round occurred on UFC 39. Without a definite outcome, the title remained vacant and eventually put the Lightweight division on hiatus. The Lightweight championship would be contested once again at UFC 64 and since then has become a permanent fixture in the UFC.​

Last edited:
Seems wrong to me...

How can you win a title after a draw?
Did they hand out 2 belts?

In his next fight he won the WW strap and left the UFC for japan.

Came back in a loss against GSP and then went back to LW...where became champion after beating Sherk (Stevenson was for the interim)

I have no clue if they handed out two belts or not but yes they both were declared co-champions.

No his very next fight he beat Gomi @ Rumble on the rock 4. Gomi was widely considered one of the top 3 LW in the world at the time. Some even had him at the number 1 spot. Then B.J. fought Hughes in the UFC to win the WW title.

How about this ...

The Uno vs. Penn championship fight took place in 2003

The Hughes vs Penn championship fight took place in 2004

It's not like there was years between the two fights.

And then B.J. went on to fight Ludwig who was another LW considered to be in the top 3. B.J. also beat him.

provide a source please

EDIT: ok i see you answered this already. i don't have fightpass right now, but i'll go find it and watch it.

EDIT 2: no i wont. i see your source (or lack thereof) and raise you a source

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_41

For the UFC Lightweight Championship. Penn and Uno fought to a split draw after five rounds. Judges scored the bout 48–47 Uno, 48–46 Penn, and 48–48. This match was the final match of a 4-man tournament that took place over several cards to crown a new lightweight champion, the first round occurred on UFC 39. Without a definite outcome, the title remained vacant and eventually put the Lightweight division on hiatus. The Lightweight championship would be contested once again at UFC 64 and since then has become a permanent fixture in the UFC.​

I gave three sources. Go watch the fight. They were Co-LW champions.

I have no clue if they handed out two belts or not but yes they both were declared co-champions.

No his very next fight he beat Gomi @ Rumble on the rock 4. Gomi was widely considered one of the top 3 LW in the world at the time. Some even had him at the number 1 spot. Then B.J. fought Hughes in the UFC to win the WW title.

How about this ...

The Uno vs. Penn championship fight took place in 2003

The Hughes vs Penn championship fight took place in 2004

It's not like there was years between the two fights.

And then B.J. went on to fight Ludwig who was another LW considered to be in the top 3. B.J. also beat him.
You can not have 2 Champs at the same time at the same weight...only if one of them is the interim...or in boxing.

Have they introduced BJ as the LW champion when he fought Hughes?

BJ x Gomi ...as you allready mentioned, was at ROTR...it was more for a 'P4P' top spot at LW...

How could BJ have won the WW belt when Hughes only had it via a technicality?

168exwm.gif

I don't care what the official record says, that wasn't a slam, it was being choked unconscious and Newton happened to get dummy'd on the way down.

So yeah, BJ was technically still LW champ who also won a fake ass WW belt..... But whatever.

P.S.
I don't really care.

Fedor was the Hw and SHW champ in pride. They just didnt have the UFC’s stupid weightclasses every 10 pounds

You can not have 2 Champs at the same time at the same weight...only if one of them is the interim...or in boxing.

Have they introduced BJ as the LW champion when he fought Hughes?

BJ x Gomi ...as you allready mentioned, was at ROTR...it was more for a 'P4P' top spot at LW...

If he was announced as co-champion or not, when he fought Hughes, doesn't mean he wasn't. What matters is he was declared co-champion after the Penn vs Uno championship fight took place. Then a little over a year later won the UFC WW belt.

BJ continued to fight the best in the LW division after being named co-champion and won.

So if he keeps winning and the UFC doesn't crown a new UFC LW champion .. that would make him ( at that time ) the last and current UFC LW champion until defeated in the division or UFC hands someone else the belt.

How could BJ have won the WW belt when Hughes only had it via a technicality?

168exwm.gif

I don't care what the official record says, that wasn't a slam, it was being choked unconscious and Newton happened to get dummy'd on the way down.

So yeah, BJ was technically still LW champ who also won a fake ass WW belt..... But whatever.

P.S.
I don't really care.

I thought Hughes was out to but UFC gave him the belt ... Regardless it wasn't B.J. Penn's fault the UFC awarded the belt to the wrong guy.

Look into it .. its true.

Yes ?

Just because the division was removed it doesn't take away the fact that he was declared the Co-Champion before hand. He still fought the top contenders outside the UFC. He never lost in the LW division until his 2010 bout with Edgar.

The division was removed so there was no belt..

If he was announced as co-champion or not, when he fought Hughes, doesn't mean he wasn't. What matters is he was declared co-champion after the Penn vs Uno championship fight took place. Then a little over a year later won the UFC WW belt.

BJ continued to fight the best in the LW division after being named co-champion and won.

So if he keeps winning and the UFC doesn't crown a new UFC LW champion .. that would make him ( at that time ) the last and current UFC LW champion until defeated in the division or UFC hands someone else the belt.
No belt around your waist...not a champion...

Don't get me wrong!
What BJ did was impressive!

But he went home without a belt and so did Uno...

Did they declare both of them "Co-Champion" inside the octagon after the fight?
Cant remember if that happened...and if so, probably to calm down the crowd...lol...
The final of a tourney for the belt ends in a 5 round draw...lol

Back