B.J. Penn hints at possible retirement from MMA

i think he should fight once more at lightweight against a beatable opponent and retire on win

Bj was instrumental in building the LW division but fighting Stevenson for the belt is testament to how weak and shallow the talent was in the division. Bj is a very gifted fighter don't get me wrong he was ahead of the curve but unfortunately he left the division before it was deep. Its too late now for him to return and make a run.

Yes, the division was weak and shallow when BJ was champion, but this thread is about him being HOF worthy and what he did is HOF worthy. If we are going to go through retired fighters records and say, well the division they fought in wasn't as strong as todays divisions so they can't be in the HOF, that would be nonsense. Then there wouldn't be anyone in the HOF as everyone in there at the minute is in there because the competition they were fighting isn't as strong as it is today.

The thing is, again going back to hindsight, It's easy to say that LW was shallow and weak back then, But back then, these guys were the best in the LW division and that's all we knew up until that time. So BJ was king because he was beating the best LW had to offer. Again, He is HOF worthy.

Yes, the division was weak and shallow when BJ was champion, but this thread is about him being HOF worthy and what he did is HOF worthy. If we are going to go through retired fighters records and say, well the division they fought in wasn't as strong as todays divisions so they can't be in the HOF, that would be nonsense. Then there wouldn't be anyone in the HOF as everyone in there at the minute is in there because the competition they were fighting isn't as strong as it is today.

The thing is, again going back to hindsight, It's easy to say that LW was shallow and weak back then, But back then, these guys were the best in the LW division and that's all we knew up until that time. So BJ was king because he was beating the best LW had to offer. Again, He is HOF worthy.

No doubt he is hof worthy. Unfortunately his time has come and gone that's all and his accomplishments will soon be surpassed. His Goat status is over rated since the division doesn't have the history others have.

No doubt he is hof worthy. Unfortunately his time has come and gone that's all and his accomplishments will soon be surpassed. His Goat status is over rated since the division doesn't have the history others have.

Nobody is saying he is the GOAT. I am just trying to explain to people why he should be in the HOF.
Also, I don't think many fighters will ever reach the Multiple Weight Class Championships of Randy & BJ. I think that will be a very elite club. Not Jon Jones, Not GSP, Not Anderson Silva, I can't see many fighters in the foreseeable future winning multiple weight class championships in the UFC.

BJ has been talking about retirement for years. He is getting beat up. Time to move on.

slam dunk HOF.

BJ already had that spot since he beat Sherk. Best of luck for him in the future. Still one of my fave fighters ever

BJ has had a great long career and had UFC hall of fame locked years ago. As far as future competition he has great natural ability but needs to be in best shape of his life to still compete and if he is able to do that it is going to be a lightweight or lower. He should not have had those last 3 fights at welterweight.

Yes he should retire and its obvious hes hall of fame material.

Hall of Famer, yes, but 'possible' in the thread title is stupid...he MUST retire. As a fan, I have no interest in seeing Diaz and McDonald fights on repeat.

either that or novelty fights at 155.

i dont think he is taking the game serious enough anymore to make another run at the 155 belt.

HOF? no doubt whatsoever that he belongs in there.

I would definitely consider him a Hall of famer.
He was pretty big in the formation of lightweight in America, had a nice little run there with the title and is the second most accomplished lightweight to date in mma.

Back