Avoiding Kimura from Bottom of the Half Guard.

Just a general half guard rant:
With half guard, it

How do you reverse a guy who is passing from half guard to side control?

Jailbreak escape with an overhook on far arm can set up a butterfly sweep if they aren't passing super low, but I usually use the jailbreak to get to full guard.

How far into the pass are we talking here? If someone's able to smash your half guard without you getting to full guard or sweeping they're probably using a damn good amount of pressure and passing pretty tightly. Half guard is a hard fought position. If they're passing you need to know when to start working your side control defense in a hurry.

How do you reverse a guy who is passing from half guard to side control?

Depends on how they pass.
Kimura-1-small.jpg

If they are going for the kimura and they have their back facing your head, but you also have the underhook, their balance is going to be weak behind them. Imagine a line going perpendicular to the blue guy's shoulders; this is his weakest direction in this position. You can give up the half guard and either get a butterfly in or just explode and push them backwards since they have a weak base in that direction. The timing has to be right and you have to commit, but other than that it's hard to screw up. I've landed reversal as a blue belt against brown and black belts.
If they are passing facing you, you can do the normal scarf-hold reversal. Again, you have to do it quickly before they establish a side control base.

My best defense is to insert a butterfly hook with your "outside" leg, and pinch his leg between your ankle and thigh, rock your hips to bring his weight over you, then post your hand under his butt/hips to keep him from getting his weight back down. Take the half guard hook out, so he is supported on the ankle of your butterfly hook and your opposite hand (your elbow should be on the floor so you aren't using arm strength to hold him up), now elevate him and either put him into X-guard, or kick him out and take his back.

Side note, when you rock your opponent, if it's your left arm that he is attacking, (so your left leg is being used for the butterfly hook, and your right hand it posted under his hips), you have to rock him till you are either flat on your back, or a little on your left side. If you don't rock him far enough, when you release the half guard hook, your opponent can high step out of your butterfly hook and pass.

Depends on how they pass.
Kimura-1-small.jpg

If they are going for the kimura and they have their back facing your head, but you also have the underhook, their balance is going to be weak behind them. Imagine a line going perpendicular to the blue guy's shoulders; this is his weakest direction in this position. You can give up the half guard and either get a butterfly in or just explode and push them backwards since they have a weak base in that direction. The timing has to be right and you have to commit, but other than that it's hard to screw up. I've landed reversal as a blue belt against brown and black belts.
If they are passing facing you, you can do the normal scarf-hold reversal. Again, you have to do it quickly before they establish a side control base.
How in the world would you take him back when they are holding onto your knee? As soon as they feel the bump wouldnt they just straight arm that left knee in the picture? I can see this working in no gi though.

EDIT: Nvm, apparently they arent exactly trying to pass, you just baited them into passing while they hold a kimura grip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back