Austin Trout:

It can happen but i have a feeling that canelo is taking this fight

Canelo isn't a pressure fighter. He's more of measured boxer who likes to counter, and he doesn't have a particularly high workrate. Lara is a tough style for him.

Thanks for bringing this up. I meant to mention that, too. People are talking about Lara's workrate, and seem to be completely forgetting Canelo's. Even if he throws more, I don't see him overcoming the Cuban's craft. It should be a great fight, but I see Lara with the W at the end of the night.

Last edited:
I'm expecting a pretty low activity fight, but I'll be on the edge of my seat.

Thanks for bringing this up. I meant to mention that, too. People are talking about Lara's workrate, and seem to be completely forgetting Canelo's. Even if he throws more, I don't see him overcoming the Cuban's craft. It should be a great fight, but I see Lara with the W at the end of the night.

Ploding slow ass angulo knocked him on his ass twice. Canelo's gonna catch him a lot more.

It be like this... tip doggin, dust smokin punks jump up to get beat the fuck down. WHUT!?

Valid point.

Im gonna watch Lara's last 4 fights and try to see what you guys see in him.

You'll see a fighter who has decent defensive skills and throws a lower volume of punches than most but hes accurate.

But I dont see him fairing well against Canelo. Canelo is just all around good. He has power, he throws a good amount of punches, and hes slicker than most people give him credit for. Good chin and size and nice speed.

Canelo wins by late KO/TKO

You'll see a fighter who has decent defensive skills and throws a lower volume of punches than most but hes accurate.

But I dont see him fairing well against Canelo. Canelo is just all around good. He has power, he throws a good amount of punches, and hes slicker than most people give him credit for. Good chin and size and nice speed.

Canelo wins by late KO/TKO

Well thats what I've pretty much been saying all along. I've seen Lara fight a little but didn't really pay much attention, wasn't impressed, nothing jumped out at me. Just saying either there's something I overlooked or a lot of guys here don't know shit about boxing, and match-ups...:D

Thats why I'm gonna sit down and dissect the guy and his most recent performances and try to see what attributes he has that could beat what Canelo brings to the ring.

You don't have to watch his last 4 fights. You'll see everything you need to see in his next fight, so don't worry about it.

:wink:

Being a boxer from Cuba is the MMA equivalent of being a Sambo player from Russia. People assume that they have some special skills that no one can deal with...whether they actually do (Cassamoyer, Rigonedeaux) or not (Solis, Lara).

Being a boxer from Cuba is the MMA equivalent of being a Sambo player from Russia. People assume that they have some special skills that no one can deal with...whether they actually do (Cassamoyer, Rigonedeaux) or not (Solis, Lara).

A fight between two defensive counter punching fighters:

Both have a low output unless the fight is taken to them. Remember, Lara was plenty busy against the stalking Angulo.

Lara has visibly better footwork.

Canelo potentially has stamina issues, while Lara has shown not to wane in his last two fights.

Lara arguably has better defense, but people talk the Angulo KD's. I thought Lara got too comfortable, and let his guard down, but we'll see if Canelo can replicate.

Neither visibly hurt. Lara got up from both KD's and wasn't in real trouble.

While output is low from both, both are accurate. Personally, I give the edge to Lara. He'll exploit the same spot on a opponents face all night. Has Canelo shown that in any fight? He couldn't make Angulo, the same Angulo coming off a TKO loss where he was broken by Lara, quit.

Canelo appears to have a punching power advantage. Lara appears to have the hand speed advantage.

The most defensively minded fighter worth ranking that Canelo has beaten that I can think of... he also arguably lost to. Also the open scoring telling Trout he needed to do something different didn't help Trout that night. Meanwhile Lara put a near picture perfect clinic on against the same guy. Who defensively minded, skilled and in a physical prime like Lara has Canelo beaten?

Both have eaten unnecessary work from lesser fighters. Lara kept it too close against Molina and got KD'd 2x's vs Angulo. Canelo got backed to the ropes and ate leather for rounds against Alfonso Gomez, and again, arguably lost to Trout.

It is not out of the question to say Lara can win this fight, and decisively at that. Nothing to do with his being Cuban. We'll see when fight night comes. I've obviously picked Lara, but am just looking forward to the fight. I don't rule Canelo out, I just don't see it happening the same way most are appearing to.

Canelo isn't strictly a counter puncher though. He was quite aggressive against Angulo, pretty much got off first all night.

LOL that's a good comparison, or better yet, if a guy is from Brazil and studied Gracie Jujitsu. Being a Cuban boxer or a BJJ fighter used to make them relevant back in the day, now a days not so much.

Back