Aussie rock appreciation thread

Might not be everyone's cup of tea but Speed is one of the most popular hardcore/punk bands to come out of Au in years. Seen them a few times when they came to the states and the energy is always insane

And for the opposite end of the spectrum you've got the DMA's heavy Oasis influence from these guys

Presenting The Secrets, formerly the great Tol-Puddle Martyrs (from way back when). They have just released their new album on Bandcamp

Spawn hails from Melbourne Australia....they kick a mighty psychedelic ass.

Hoodoo Gurus - Dave Faulkner is right up there with Barnes as one of Australia's finest vocalists.

Aussie garage rock by The Missing Links , active between 1964 - 1966

Alright Aussies, help a guy out here.

Back in 1987/88 I took a backpacking trip to Australia and New Zealand. I spent too much time drinking but I kind of remember a rock singer who sounded very similar to AC/DC’s Brian Johnson. I think he might have looked like him too.

He had music out that was getting heavy rotation at the time. I’m sure he disappeared not long after but for the life of me I cannot find who he was.

Who am I thinking about?

Back in 1987/88 I took a backpacking trip to Australia and New Zealand. I spent too much time drinking but I kind of remember a rock singer who sounded very similar to AC/DC’s Brian Johnson. I think he might have looked like him too.

He had music out that was getting heavy rotation at the time. I’m sure he disappeared not long after but for the life of me I cannot find who he was.

Who am I thinking about?
J. Barnes by any chance ??.........suggestion; cut down on the booze MATE :):)

Who am I thinking about?
Johnson replaced Scott, so it could be that it was Brian himself you heard only he was in Geordie prior to joining AC/DC :):))

Last edited:
Johnson replaced Scott, so it could be that it was Brian himself you heard only he was in Geordie prior to joining AC/DC :):))
No. It wasn’t him. This dude had a Japanese wife. Maybe I hallucinated but I don’t think so. 😂

No. It wasn’t him. This dude had a Japanese wife. Maybe I hallucinated but I don’t think so. 😂
Jimmy Barnes was married to Thai diplomat: In November 1979, Barnes met Jane Mahoney (born 1958 as Jane Dejakasaya in Bangkok, Thailand), the stepdaughter of an Australian diplomat. She wasn't Japanese, she was Thai.

I was a 2000s kid so grew up in the final era of Aussie "rock".

Seeing as we are all being boomers and linking YT vids, I will post some of the best ones I can think of off the top of my head:

If you like metalcore (or even if you don't), the best Australian "rock" export is without a doubt Amity Affliction:

Their album 'Youngbloods' is my favourite album of all time, but they've got a lot of great songs if you search them on Spotify. Same with Jet and Grinspoon really!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back