attn: S&P curlz coach needed

joshetc

butthole hurts from teh gay
Reaction score
As some of you may know, I am not much of a person to work on my gunz and don't do isolation lifts like curlz. I am entering a competition in January and one of the lifts is "strict curl", so I need a gunz coach to help me get a good strict curl.

This thread is not a joke.

The NASA power sports division has bench, deadlift and curl.

Lol are you actually going to be putting serious effort into this?

I don't really have a choice.. my deadlift + bench is probably around 850 right now. If theres a dude there curling like 200 pounds or whatever a good curl is I could lose even if I'm stronger in "real" lifts.

I would treat the strict curl like any other competition lift and train it appropriately. If you have not been doing any curls, then work your way up linearly with 3X5 Rippetoe style. Make it more complicated when you need to.

Is it a strict curl in the way BB do it? I haven't seen the rules for those kind of comps, but guys like Greg Kovacs could curl 315 for reps. Bill Kazmaier could do that too. Again it was more of a cheat curl that uses momentum and the back to help... sort of like a wierd powerclean. :)

This is an MMA site. This thread is a joke. What do max curls have to do with mma?

Train heavy and frequently (2 to 3 times a week). Do barbell curlz with low reps and heavy weight do some other movements with less weight and higher volume. Curlz are also great for teh gunz.

FINALLY! An excuse to post this gif:
Synthol-arms.gif

Serious answer: chin ups, FTW.

Apparently they are actually lining people's backs up to the wall and making them curl like that. It seems fucking retarded to be honest.

My gym owners said they will pay my entrance fee though, but they expect me to win.

Strict Curl

PowerSports Rules.htm

1. The lifter shall face the front of the platform. The bar shall be held
horizontally across the thighs with the hands (palms outward) and fingers
gripping the bar and the feet flat on the platform with the knees locked and
arms fully extended.

Note: The staggering of the legs (one foot in front of the other) is allowed
as long as the knees are locked and feet are flat on the platform.

2. After removing the bar from the racks, the lifter must move backwards to
establish his position. The lifter shall wait in this position for the Chief
Referee's signal. The signal shall be given as soon as the lifter is
motionless and the bar properly positioned. The Chief Referee's signal shall
consist of an upward movement of the arm and the audible command "curl”.

*3. Upon receiving the Chief Referee's signal, the lifter must bring the bar
up to the fully curled position (bar near chin or throat with palms facing
backward). The knees must remain locked and the shoulders square or back
throughout the entire lift. *See Rule 10, Exceptions to this rule below.

4. On completion of the lift, the knees shall be locked in a straight
position and the shoulders square or back.

5. The legs and hips may not be used in any way for momentum to complete the
lift. Any thrusting of the legs or hips fore momentum is strictly forbidden.

6. The Chief Referee's signal shall consist of a downward movement of the
hand and the audible command "down." The signal will not be given until the
bar is held motionless and the lifter is in the apparent finished position.

7. When the lifter is motionless, the Chief Referee will give the signal to
replace the bar.
The signal to replace the bar will consist of a backward motion of the hand
and the audible command "rack."

8. Any rising of the bar or any deliberate attempt to do so will count as an
attempt.

9. The Lifter may, at the Chief Referee's discretion, be given an additional
attempt at the same weight if failure in an attempt was due to an error by
one or more of the spotter loaders.

10. Exception to Rule 3- A Lifter who attempts a bodyweight Curl or above or who attempts in excess of 200 lbs may be given more discretion with the amount of back bend and hip involvement for balance/leverage purposes. This shall be a Judgment call by each of the 3 referees. It will be the judgment of each referee as to whether or not to much back bend, thrust or heaving is used by the Lifter. This rule was implemented after the records became virtually unbreakable. Lifters cannot protest Judgment Calls by Referees. (Added 1-1-09)

Causes for Disqualification of the Strict Curl

Hmm, maybe I will compete as well so I can see if I can outcurl you.

Yeah I would be interested to learn how they define a curl for the comp. I'm with the other dudes, just train it like your other lifts and hope for the best. I'm not sure how well that will work with a smaller muscle though...

edit: nm about the rules.

Thanks for posting the rules. Rule 10 (the exception to 3) makes it seem like there is a little leeway in there... I guess it depends on the judge(s).

Do they use a standard 45 lb bar for this?

Yeah I would be interested to learn how they define a curl for the comp. I'm with the other dudes, just train it like your other lifts and hope for the best. I'm not sure how well that will work with a smaller muscle though...

edit: nm about the rules.

Since it's a smaller muscle, smaller progressions should be used. A way to microload the bar would be useful.

10. Exception to Rule 3- A Lifter who attempts a bodyweight Curl or above or who attempts in excess of 200 lbs may be given more discretion with the amount of back bend and hip involvement for balance/leverage purposes. This shall be a Judgment call by each of the 3 referees. It will be the judgment of each referee as to whether or not to much back bend, thrust or heaving is used by the Lifter. This rule was implemented after the records became virtually unbreakable. Lifters cannot protest Judgment Calls by Referees. (Added 1-1-09)

Seems like they should take the lift out instead of making this rule.

Back