ATTN: European Grapplers.

Mirada said:
1) Where do you live- city and country?

2) Where do you train?
2.a) Is it gi or no gi?
2.b) How is the quality of instruction? (and belt rank if BJJ?)
2.c) How much does it cost to train?

3) I'm not familiar with the european school system, is it even possible to transfer from a U.S. school directly, or do you have to be part of some sort of program?
3.a) If it is possible to transfer directly, or apply directly, what are the requirements like?

4) I imagine that finding work as a foreigner (and english speaker) would be difficult. Would it be a prohibiting factor?
4.a) With the wages I can earn as a foreign english speaker, would it be possible to pay for lodging, food, school and training?

5) What is the visa/citizenship/immigration situation like in your country?

6) How much ass does your country kick, and why?

7) Am I on crack to even be considering this as a possibility?
1) I'm in Cambridge in England

2)I train with the universities judo club, gi obviously, good instructors, dirt cheap for university students (I'm on

An idea might to be spend a month in Europeor so scouting out various gyms/unis. That however would require quite serious funding.

i would go with sweden or norway (think norway is alot more expensive than sweden), both these countries have great schools, most people speak english and there are many great places to train at and living and training costs are lolwer than in cali (MT is a popular sport in sweden and i believe that the instructors are way better in sweden thatn in NOR*CAL, unless u train at fairtex). if u decide to move to sweden and need any help, just let me know!!!
Whare in cali do u live?

In Dublin in Ireland there is John Kavanagh, a SBG brown belt who is awesome. They do bjj and mma,

In the UK for BJJ you have a good selection.

In London there are several big name guys, there is Carlson Gracie team, there is Roger Brooking's acadamy (with Roger Brooking teaching), Roger Gracei Acadamy (with Roger plus a UK black belt), Nelson Solari's place, a few other Gracie Barra places with black betls teaching.

In Birmingham, UK there is Gracie Barra with Braulio Estima, I have been to one of his seminars and he is an awesome teacher. Birmingham is a shithole though

In Liverpool there is a big new gym with some blackbelts teaching, an awesomegym as well.

Plus scattrered around teh country there are plenty of good purples and a few browns teaching

The UK is quite expensive but Dublin is worse, at least for beer, it is very expensive

oh yeah, with regards to getting into the UK, shouldnt be too hard as you are an American and are coming over to do university. Getting a job over here when at university shouldnt be too hard either. The UK is quite a nice place, not without its problems though (like everywhere else). Major advantage - we all speak the same language (sort of)

elcapitan said:
i would go with sweden or norway (think norway is alot more expensive than sweden), both these countries have great schools, most people speak english and there are many great places to train at and living and training costs are lolwer than in cali (MT is a popular sport in sweden and i believe that the instructors are way better in sweden thatn in NOR*CAL, unless u train at fairtex). if u decide to move to sweden and need any help, just let me know!!!
Whare in cali do u live?

Problem is that Norway isn

350 lbs fist said:
But we are part of the Schengen Customs Deal Agreement and the EEC which means that there's no Visa requirements when travelling within the EU for people with Visas to Norway. Usually when travelling within the EU we're always allowed to stand in the EU passport line in the Customs because of this.

Travel yes, but I don

So you said that uni is free in Scandinavia, is that for citizens only or would my tuition be free as well?

Mirada said:
So you said that uni is free in Scandinavia, is that for citizens only or would my tuition be free as well?
Uni is free in Norway except for a copying fee of 15 Dollars per semester or something.

Fuck that's awesome. And free health care too?

Remind me what's so hot about the US again?

Cali weather and weed I guess...

Don't come to Ireland, its dark, freezing and pretty dull. Pick London for the Jiu Jitsu or a warm country for its weather and the women...

Uni and healthcare is free in Sweden, norway, denmark, finland and some other countries.
Pick Sweden. Now.

Mirada man, if you can go to a place where your college education and health care is paid for AND you can do world class BJJ...get on the plane. You're young and have your whole life ahead of you to make changes if things don't work out.
When I was in Turkey the Judo clubs there were world class (lot's of ex-pat Russian sambo/judo guys). But it's a 2 and a half world country and struggling with EU stuff right now, so...
Ever thought about Japan? Japan is weird but totally cool. Sounds like it's not your thing though. But Pride ring girls dude...

I definately want to visit japan someday, but I hate big cities man...

I'd go nuts there in about a week. I need my space.

Mirada said:
Tell me more.

The grappling scene in Sweden is exploding. There has been some good Judo clubs there for a while but BJJ and SW has surged in most somewhat sizeable cities. MMA is really catching on as well with great clubs in the bigger cities.
Sweden now has several BJJ black belts, for example Christian Kennedy who operates in Stockholm.

Universitywise, you could apply for any of the bigger universities, they offer courses completely in english. Reading single courses require little effort and would allow time for leisure and training.

About size: Sweden is quite big on the surface, with european measures, but has only 9 million people. Therefore it

For universitys and BJJ schools i'd say London is your best bet

The main bonus being that everyone speaks English too

Back