ATTN: European Grapplers.

Mirada

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'm looking to get out of the US, and maybe attend university somewhere in europe if at all possible, but of course I couldn't be without my jiujitsu.

Since this is a place where grapplers from around the world can be found I thought I'd put up some questions for those of you who have the time and charity to answer them.

Feel free to answer all, none or some of these questions, any legitimate information is appreciated.

1) Where do you live- city and country?

2) Where do you train?
2.a) Is it gi or no gi?
2.b) How is the quality of instruction? (and belt rank if BJJ?)
2.c) How much does it cost to train?

3) I'm not familiar with the european school system, is it even possible to transfer from a U.S. school directly, or do you have to be part of some sort of program?
3.a) If it is possible to transfer directly, or apply directly, what are the requirements like?

4) I imagine that finding work as a foreigner (and english speaker) would be difficult. Would it be a prohibiting factor?
4.a) With the wages I can earn as a foreign english speaker, would it be possible to pay for lodging, food, school and training?

5) What is the visa/citizenship/immigration situation like in your country?

6) How much ass does your country kick, and why?

7) Am I on crack to even be considering this as a possibility?

And of course anything you'd like to add.

He even has a school in Israel. Hardcore.

I'm not really looking for a specific schol, but more for information on moving to and living(training) in europe.

Which, last time I looked, didn't include Texas.

yeah lol i know, i was just showin u some location of some schools internationally.

Any form of grappling? To live...Italy, Spain or France after it settles.

BJJ would be the best, but I'll take what I can get. Like I said I'm more after information on moving to and living in european countries, things like what I'd need to do to get a work visa, how much it costs to live there, how the university system is set up and so on.

I posted it here because we have a lot of european posters, not because it's a grappling-specific issue.

Mirada said:
BJJ would be the best, but I'll take what I can get. Like I said I'm more after information on moving to and living in european countries, things like what I'd need to do to get a work visa, how much it costs to live there, how the university system is set up and so on.

I posted it here because we have a lot of european posters, not because it's a grappling-specific issue.

Fair enuff. Plug- Euro judo is great, if you can find grappling or mma oriented judo.-unplug.

Hey, Mirada, how about a poll in the stand-up forum between boxing (adapted) or muay thai for mma. Much appreciated.

Team Frontline where I train in Oslo is pretty good.
Joachim Hansen, John Olav Einemo, Thomas Hytten and Camilla Gjelsten all train there.
There are BJJ classes with 2 Norwegian brown belts and 1 Brazilian one.
In BJJ we rank at least top 3 in the Nordic countries and actually became the third best club at this year's Mundials if I'm not mistaken.
Submission wrestling trainings with 1 time BJJ world champion and 1 time ADCC world champion Einemo.
Vale Tudo trainings with Hytten and Nyang who are 2 of the best MMA guys in Scandinavia.
Muay Thai with an instructor who has won silver in the MT world championships. ( I don't train that myself so I can't remember his name )
And boxing classes with some of Norway's best boxers.
It costs around 400 Norwegian KR a month which is like 60 Dollars I think but then you've got training every day all the styles. Website is www.frontlineacademy.com.
The University of Oslo is rated among the 200 best universities in the world especially the faculty of Human Studies ( History, Languages, Philosophy, Culture etc )
They provide lowcost housing for international students at around 2000 Norwegian KR a month which is approx 300 Dollars. Their website is www.uio.no.
I think you can apply directly as we have Bachelor and Master Degrees now like in the U.S but there are also exchange programs.
Norway is quite expensive but if you're willing to bounce doors, tend bars or wait at tables especially in the summertime you can earn more than your keep.
Student Visas are no problem if you're from the U.S.
Our country is cold but if you like skiing or snowboarding or blonde women this is tha place. : )

Stockholm and Malm

Ahhh beautiful. I knew I forgot a country on my poll.

Exactly the kind of response I was looking for, thank you.

Mirada said:
Ahhh beautiful. I knew I forgot a country on my poll.

Exactly the kind of response I was looking for, thank you.
No worries.
Take warm clothing with you if you ever come over here. This aint Cali. : )

No kidding. So have you trained with Hansen?
That dude impressed the hell out of me in ADCC and Bushido.

If I'm thinking of the right Norwegian.

Edit*
This place has a fucking croquet society? Fuck it, I'm in.

I have rolled on a few occasions with Hansen but he mostly trains with our Vale Tudo competition team and I'm not quite on that level yet. : )
He's a slick grappler by the way and he's a brown belt in BJJ but he rarely trains with a gi nowadays.

The best grappler in our club is Einemo by far. He went into this year's ADCC injured and managed to sub 2 guys before losing on points in the semi and bronze finals against Cacareco and Ribeiro respectively.

Croquet aint my thing but sure go ahead knock yourself out, man. : )
We have a decent cricket team and curling team as well I've been told.

I'd honestly pick my country based how suitable the university is not the jiu jitsu situation. Do remember that not all unis are english speaking. You'll be able to get some bjj training in most major cities. I train in Dublin at that place darwinist was talking about, PM if you want specific info or have a any questions..

iN England (London) there is Roger Gracie, i don't think you can go wrong with him

but seriously if you are going to study you might as well go to mainland Europe and enjoy yourself

Back