ATG squats

I like OHS, but I really really want to target my traps. Should I drop them and just do power shrugs?

He could be trying to counteract an imbalance, some people have weak quads and it can affect your normal squating even if it's highly dependent on your PC. If you're quads are weak front squats and backwards sled drags

No we only do 1/4 squats around here.

lol.. could you imagine if someone actually openly admitted their squats were quarter squats and actually called them that? I mean, I'd think from their perspective they are "full" squats.

lol.. could you imagine if someone actually openly admitted their squats were quarter squats and actually called them that? I mean, I'd think from their perspective they are "full" squats.

so would a 1/4 squatter to a 1/4 squatter be an 1/8 squatter?

*does victory dance*

an ATG squat is a normal squat as far as im concerned.

front squats

first time i did them, i couldnt walk up stairs, its like every inch of my quads hurt

You have to be careful with front squats though. A couple years back at my school pretty much all of us rugby players where on the same training regiment, which involved front squats. The personal trainer at the school gym told us to be careful or we might damage our hamstrings. 4 people missed the pre season rugby tour that year with snapped hamstrings :p

You tore your hamstring because you warmed up shitty or had insufficient flexibility, not because you did squats.

You have to be careful with front squats though. A couple years back at my school pretty much all of us rugby players where on the same training regiment, which involved front squats. The personal trainer at the school gym told us to be careful or we might damage our hamstrings. 4 people missed the pre season rugby tour that year with snapped hamstrings :p

Did you guys deadlift or do anything for your hamstrings?

Probably didnt warm up right.

an ATG squat is a normal squat as far as im concerned.

agree. those who are into some 1/4 sq or 1/8 sq are lead astray by body building speculations. if you want to pump your qudriceps 1/4 may be better option. but if you are after functional strenght then you should do it all the way

Im all for going ad deep as you can or ass to the grass, but intentional quarter squats have their place in strength developement just like static holds and other special stuff, quarter squat is like rack pulls to your deadlift.

Paul Andersson (Is the name correct= the guy with the huge back lift) used the following method:
Took a big weight in the rack and did big reps with a small movement maybe 1/8 of a full squat, then next time with the same weight did less reps and went a bit deeper etc until hitting it with the full squat... not that Im recomending this, more like an anecdote to show that there are many ways to skin the cat, so to speak (but I really can only imagine two good ones...)

^^I agree, heavy walk-outs are good too

You tore your hamstring because you warmed up shitty or had insufficient flexibility, not because you did squats.

Im sure that had something to do with it. If i recall correctly, most of the people who snapped their hamstrings including myself, did it during games of pretty casual touch rugby after supper in which no one warmed up for. But you dont see people snapping there hamstrings in that frequency just because they haven't warmed up properly. Having a massive imbalance in quad strength and hamstring strength most probably had something to do with it.

Back