At What Point Were GSP "At His Best"

Who's Next

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
For my money, GSP and Anderson Silva are the two fighters that represented their generation. Trail blazers in the UFC in showing that these Superstars can be made that are able to defend the title, time after time.

They say a fighter is best when they have the correct combination of mind, skill, and athleticism. IE: As fighters get older and become less athletic, their actual skill level may rise due to the additional time put in at the gym. The best fighters are the ones who were able to capture all 3 factors at one paticular moment in time.

So my question is if you were able to clone GSP at all his stages of his career, and made the clones fight, which one would be the best. My personal feeling is that the best Welterweight we ever saw on the planet was GSP vs Koscheck 2. The striking and wrestling were out of this world, and he was able to defeat one of the top contenders in UFC history.

Are there any other opinions on when he was at his absolute best?

Probably vs. Serra 2. He was hungry for the title and looked absolutely lethal. Only went down hill from there.

So my question is if you were able to clone GSP at all his stages of his career, and made the clones fight, which one would be the best. My personal feeling is that the best Welterweight we ever saw on the planet was GSP vs Koscheck 2. The striking and wrestling were out of this world, and he was able to defeat one of the top contenders in UFC history.

Are there any other opinions on when he was at his absolute best?

Back before when GSP would strike and long before his dry hump sessions of doom.

He always came in perfect shape never injured never pulled any fights maybe a bit boring style but no problem for me

He was 'at his best' for a very long time.

When he blasted Fitch. I think he peaked then.

He was 'at his best' for a very long time.
Thats not fair. There has to be a moment in time where he was at his best- even if there are other times where he was close.

When he blasted Fitch. I think he peaked then.
Thats one that was on my mind as well. That was the most competitive contest in mixed martials arts history- in terms of skilled fighter vs skilled fighter

From the first Josh Koscheck fight to the second Josh Koscheck fight

Hughes 3 at ufc 79. Dominated him in every aspect and hit an unusual armbar that had Hughes screaming tap.

Peak GSP was over the period of Hughes 3, Serra 2, Fitch, and Penn 2. Just a total kill machine at that point and could beat you everywhere.

He always came in perfect shape never injured never pulled any fights maybe a bit boring style but no problem for me
Agree. He got too much heat at the end for not finishing. Never bothered me, either.

Maybe against Alves. Although as others pointed out he did look great against Penn and Fitch.

A lot of people seem to have forgotten/have never seen the ass-whoopin' he gave Mayhem after Hughes tapped him in his last fight. It was 3 rounds of absolute domination and showcased every single aspect of his MMA skillset. The tear he went on from here to when he put Hughes out to win the title for the first time was without question for me GSP at his best, from a physical and athletic standpoint... and for sheer entertainment value.

In terms of overall fight skill and I.Q., that came after his loss to Serra, but young GSP was a force of nature and the best athlete to ever grace the Octagon.

Fitch, Hughes 2 & 3, prolly against Kos and Alves as well. Top combination of his physical prime and best skillset.

Back