At What Point Were GSP "At His Best"

Yeah I agree with most in here...2008 to 2010 or so...he was an absolute beast!

GSP against Serra the 2nd time, Fitch, and Penn he was at his best.

For my money, GSP and Anderson Silva are the two fighters that represented their generation. Trail blazers in the UFC in showing that these Superstars can be made that are able to defend the title, time after time.

They say a fighter is best when they have the correct combination of mind, skill, and athleticism. IE: As fighters get older and become less athletic, their actual skill level may rise due to the additional time put in at the gym. The best fighters are the ones who were able to capture all 3 factors at one paticular moment in time.

So my question is if you were able to clone GSP at all his stages of his career, and made the clones fight, which one would be the best. My personal feeling is that the best Welterweight we ever saw on the planet was GSP vs Koscheck 2. The striking and wrestling were out of this world, and he was able to defeat one of the top contenders in UFC history.

Are there any other opinions on when he was at his absolute best?

Yeah GSP vs Koscheck II

He was damn dominant against Shields until the Eyepoke and he destroyed Condit and Diaz.

6yz0k8.jpg

This was the exact flip I had in mind when I said that. Still brings the laughter after all these years.

Probably vs. Serra 2. He was hungry for the title and looked absolutely lethal. Only went down hill from there.

From the first Josh Koscheck fight to the second Josh Koscheck fight

Hughes 3 at ufc 79. Dominated him in every aspect and hit an unusual armbar that had Hughes screaming tap.

way too vague.

please provide TS the fight,

specific Round,

and time stamp to the second when he was EXACTLY the best.

This clone we keep bringing up is not the one Woodley is clamoring to fight

He wants an off the bench stagnant rusty one

Looked great against Jay and he won the fight standing up. Final prime was either Koscheck 2.

way too vague.

please provide TS the fight,

specific Round,

and time stamp to the second when he was EXACTLY the best.

The very moment before Jake Shields got that first brutal eyeball poke in was "peak GSP", so sometime in Round 3 IIRC. He was dominating up to that point and after that fight he messed up his knee and was never the same.

But I think the moment in time that there was the biggest gap between GSP and his competition was sometime between Serra II and Alves.

this post made me just go back and rewatch the promo:

He was at his best vs shields when he uses teh jab of death. On a side note that was the best promo ever for that event

its a shame what happened to that dude's mentality.

as lame as Shileds was,
he was as dangerous or more than any GSP opponent.

i had forgotten how competitive and aggressive GSP was-
he isnt even a shadow of that mindframe now.
its a shame what happened to GSPs mentality.

Back