• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

AT&T & Comcast to give $1,000 bonuses to more than 200,000 employees because of tax bill passage

Pretty skeptical this is true but let's just say it is.

Are we really celebrating a bonus to AT&T employees that is subsidized by tax payers?

How is this bonus being subsidized by tax payers?

Employees appreciate unexpected money, believe it or not.

I get a 1000 bucks for longevity each year where I work and I use it to buy myself something cool.

I don't get why you guys try so hard to make it look like a bad thing.

Seriously I get people don't like the tax bill and all that but some people just don't seem to understand that 1000 does mean something to a lot of people out there. About 7 years ago 1000 unexpected would have been great to me and a nice vacation.

There's a lot of shit I don't like my tax dollars funding too.

I'd rather my money go to give a hard working joe a bump than to fund EBT cards.

Why? Personally I'd prefer tax policy to have a positive overall impact rather than just distribute wealth differently.

How is this bonus being subsidized by tax payers?

AT&T is claiming they gave employees a bonus because they got a tax cut. We are funding tax cuts with debt and some people actually pay more tax under this tax plan now and most people will as provisions expire.

So when we borrow and/or pay more in tax so AT&T can give bonuses it is fair to say tax payers are funding bonuses to AT&T. It wouldn't hold up if AT&T was lying though.

AT&T is claiming they gave employees a bonus because they got a tax cut. We are funding tax cuts with debt and some people actually pay more tax under this tax plan now and most people will as provisions expire.

So when we borrow and/or pay more in tax so AT&T can give bonuses it is fair to say tax payers are funding bonuses to AT&T. It wouldn't hold up if AT&T was lying though.

The only way we would be subsidizing their tax cut, and thus those bonuses, is if their profit and their capital belongs to and is inherently owned by the government. Is it your position that all wealth, capital, and profit is owned by the government, and the people as a collective, and that anytime we cut taxes or allow companies to take home their profit we are...subsidizing them?

The only way we would be subsidizing their tax cut, and thus those bonuses, is if their profit and their capital belongs to and is inherently owned by the government. Is it your position that all wealth, capital, and profit is owned by the government, and the people as a collective, and that anytime we cut taxes or allow companies to take home their profit we are...subsidizing them?
That's blatantly wrong.

Tax breaks are good for me. Looking forward to a few more
Why? Personally I'd prefer tax policy to have a positive overall impact rather than just distribute wealth differently.

Because I work for the things I have and think others should have to do the same. Its absurd that some of you have issue with middle class getting a few dollars back. How much shit do we have to give the "poor" in this country? All that really separates me from the poor is I have to buy my stuff with my paycheck.

I'm modestly excited about the tax cuts and I've yet to see any argument thats made me reconsider.

Because I work for the things I have and think others should have to do the same. Its absurd that some of you have issue with middle class getting a few dollars back. How much shit do we have to give the "poor" in this country? All that really separates me from the poor is I have to buy my stuff with my paycheck.

I'm modestly excited about the tax cuts and I've yet to see any argument thats made me reconsider.

I'm crazy anti Trump but I feel the same way. I'm having a hard time being upset that I'm getting more $$ in my paycheck. I understand all the big corporations argument but unless this causes another recession (which the last 2 tax cuts have) I'm ok with this

It seems like you don't actually understand our beef with the bill. I do not have a problem with the middle class getting a few dollars back. I've said from the beginning that if we are dead set on tax cuts the middle class should have gotten more of the cuts instead of the majority of cuts going to corporations and top earners!

You misunderstand what subsidizing means, which basically means to support something financially (goals can vary, like lowering cost or improving outcomes). It does not require government control of assets to subsidize something.

You misunderstand what subsidizing means, which basically means to support something financially (goals can vary, like lowering cost or improving outcomes). It does not require government control of assets to subsidize something.

The government is not financially supporting these tax cuts tho. Unless of course you believe the their money belonged to the government to begin with.

The government is not financially supporting these tax cuts tho. Unless of course you believe the their money belonged to the government to begin with.
What I am saying is regular people are going to pay more in tax (some up front, most in the long term) and adding at least $1T to the deficits in order to finance corporate tax cuts.

As a regular dude living in NY to pay more in tax so AT&T can pay less and give a small piece of that as a bonus to employees is accurately described as subsidies IMO, or at least they are functioning that way.

Even bleeding heart libs concede the tax will help the Ave Joe the first 2 years. It's the next 40 where everyone gets it in the ass raw
Ah man, why did you have to bring this up and ruin the circle jerk of team tiki torch.!.!

What I am saying is regular people are going to pay more in tax (some up front, most in the long term) and adding at least $1T to the deficits in order to finance corporate tax cuts.

As a regular dude living in NY to pay more in tax so AT&T can pay less and give a small piece of that as a bonus to employees is accurately described as subsidies IMO, or at least they are functioning that way.

But everyone is getting a tax cut so how are you paying more?

Also it would be mildly funny to see these bonuses knock someone into a new tax bracket.

Back