At least Tate didn't act like Bethe & McMann

Tate already lost twice to Ronda so it would look worse for her to start talking trash now. And she knows if she loses again it will all be over. Have we ever seen a 4th fight between two lopsided rivals?

waiting for jacare/camozzi 3 & 4 tbh

MMA is an entertainment business that just happens to be a sport.

Tickets, PPVs, merchandise, etc. are sold based on consumer demands. Historic trends show that business peaks on strong personalities and hot feuds (grudge matches). The fighting is somewhat secondary to this, and is just the content that is given in exchange for the interest. But if fighting was all that was needed, guys like Mighty Mouse and Jose Aldo would've had no problem being PPV draws.

However, some people just don't gravitate to the promotional aspect of the MMA business, and Sara McMann is one of them. McMann seems to be a competitor only, and is unapologetic about it. However, in addition to her lack of promotional skills, her fighting style is also the problem, as she is the classic lay-and-pray point scorer, which is also unappealing to the masses. If she were the one to dethrone Rousey, it would be disastrous for the UFC, as she's unmarketable in every single aspect. But losing to Tate was a major setback, and she needs another three straight wins to even be in contention.

It seems like everyone who Rousey crushes seems to go into instant denial and demands a rematch, with Tate being a notable exception. Good thread, TS.

MMA is an entertainment business that just happens to be a sport.

Tickets, PPVs, merchandise, etc. are sold based on consumer demands. Historic trends show that business peaks on strong personalities and hot feuds (grudge matches). The fighting is somewhat secondary to this, and is just the content that is given in exchange for the interest. But if fighting was all that was needed, guys like Mighty Mouse and Jose Aldo would've had no problem being PPV draws.

However, some people just don't gravitate to the promotional aspect of the MMA business, and Sara McMann is one of them. McMann seems to be a competitor only, and is unapologetic about it. However, in addition to her lack of promotional skills, her fighting style is also the problem, as she is the classic lay-and-pray point scorer, which is also unappealing to the masses. If she were the one to dethrone Rousey, it would be disastrous for the UFC, as she's unmarketable in every single aspect. But losing to Tate was a major setback, and she needs another three straight wins to even be in contention.

It seems like everyone who Rousey crushes seems to go into instant denial and demands a rematch, with Tate being a notable exception. Good thread, TS.

Thanks brotha
After seeing both McMann & Bethe talk about beating Ronda, it made me think about how perfect Tate played it

I will semi-disagree with you on McMann gravitating to promoting her fights.
As I mentioned GSP is not a trash-talker or sound-bite type of fighter, but he was a workhorse who promoted his fights.
They supposedly couldn't get McMann to do anything to help sell the fight & that is pathetic IMO.

Im thinking it must be an american thing, Ive seen it quite abit lately....

yeah shes going to get an insane check of her sub defence ((for a third time)) and possibly her chin with Ronda's growing confidence in her hands....

youre right...at least she didnt act like the other two you mentioned...Meisha has the mindset of a champion

the "check" youre talking about is "cheque"

Last edited:
Tate is as tough as nails. She has more balls than some of the men fighters. don't let the cupcake moniker fool you. she is not afraid of Ronda and will bring it next fight. You can at least count on her putting up a good fight even if she does not win. She will not lay down and she's got heart.. you cant teach that. Getting your arm torn off and fighting till that last breath and no tap/surrender

RESPECT

That McMann fight made me a Tate fan (tho I've always rooted for her against Ronda). Getting knocked down, getting your orbital bone broken, losing the first round badly but to still come back & beat the most boring wmma fighter / "best wrestler" in her own game.

She may be the one girl to make it out of the first round but she is also the one girl to get 2 shots already. None made it out of the first round on their first try. And she was behind.

I like cupcake though. She seems like cool people. Outclassed by Ronda as competition but still probably the 2nd best WMMAer. I'd take cupcake over cyborg. Not hating, Meisha is just more well rounded.

I think losing to Ronda again humbled her in a bit.

She came off as very two faced in the show. Ronda was a straight up bitch but Miesha was a conniving bitch.

Those two have been somewhat respectable towards each other since then.

yeah shes going to get an insane check of her sub defence ((for a third time)) and possibly her chin with Ronda's growing confidence in her hands....

youre right...at least she didnt act like the other two you mentioned...Meisha has the mindset of a champion

the "check" youre talking about is "cheque"

Try again braniac

Definition of CHECK

7: a written order directing a bank to pay money as instructed

& to add to your braniac-ability

Adverb
abit: Misspelling of a bit.

Last edited:
I find it amazing that some people don't get that promoting has nothing to do with fake/scripted promos
It is so insipid
GSP was a promo workhorse & never did that
Also thinking that anytime someone does have a beef & uses it to promote is "WWE" is even dumber

Well said. Randy s another fighter who got really popular with a positive image before GSP

Well said. Randy s another fighter who got really popular with a positive image before GSP

Thank you
It gets ridiculous that people think 'promoting' a fight means acting like a WWE star cutting a promo
Derek Jeter is recognized as one of the classiest athletes ever & he broke his ass promoting his brand, team & sport & he openly stated he dislike doing interviews after a game, but understood fans wanted to hear from him & did so.

I love when care if a fighter "sold the fight". Their job is to fight. I know McGregor and Sonnen made everyone think it MMA was the WWE but....

the fight game is more than who deserves it based on pure merit.

you should know this yourself, seeing as how you're employed in the very industry we're discussing.

the fight game is more than who deserves it based on pure merit.

you should know this yourself, seeing as how you're employed in the very industry we're discussing.

Oh that is right ... I forgot who he is lol

But as far as merit goes, if she beat Tate, she might have been closer in-line to a rematch, she didn't.
Also, promoting helps the fighter make money. It isn't just helping UFC.

Plus I would totally burgle her ass. Wait, what were we talking about again?

This. A great ass is far more important than a classy personality. Tate does seem to have both however. Still not overly hyped for a third attempt vs Rousey, and while she is clearly the second best fighter in that division her (winning) performance against Jessica Eye was pretty embarrassing.

I love when care if a fighter "sold the fight". Their job is to fight. I know McGregor and Sonnen made everyone think it MMA was the WWE but....

This is dumb. McGregor backed all of his shit talk up. He's a real fighter who has brought tons of interest to the sport.

Besides, WWE got it's blueprint (of getting people interested in fights/matches) from boxing.

I didn't like the way Tate acted during the Zingano fight, but she handled the Ronda loss well.

Are you kidding me, thats exactly how a fighter should act if they believe the fight was stopped early.

Looked to me Tate was going for a shitty takedown, perhaps anticipating another knee to catch, but the ref stepped in. You kids can cry out she was "done" and declare your inexperience in spectating these fights, but she protested it, she now has a permanent loss on her record because of it, and she chose to fight for her career. Records count. If she was going to get further damage because she was, hah, DONE, then she can find a new career. Until then, you kids need to shave your vaginas.

Tate already lost twice to Ronda so it would look worse for her to start talking trash now. And she knows if she loses again it will all be over. Have we ever seen a 4th fight between two lopsided rivals?

AA vs Slyvia? Jk Goobz.

Thank you
It gets ridiculous that people think 'promoting' a fight means acting like a WWE star cutting a promo
Derek Jeter is recognized as one of the classiest athletes ever & he broke his ass promoting his brand, team & sport & he openly stated he dislike doing interviews after a game, but understood fans wanted to hear from him & did so.

A lot of times its simply showing your personalities so fans can relate to you in some way.

Back