News Askar Askarov vs. Alex Perez set for UFC Vegas 33

Agree. I love fighters like Askarov, etc. who don’t do anything flashy or wild but instead just fight with world class technique, instincts and reflexes.

I had Askar pegged to beat Fig. Fig is one of my favorites but he always seemed like a guy who might be hit or miss, particularly with the weight cutting challenges. Even in his Benavidez fights (especially the first), Fig was winning by pure talent and skills, and not at all by tactics, poise, fight IQ, etc. He got the best of Moreno the first time but the signs were there that if Moreno improved he might be able to take advantage of Fig with a smart game plan. Frankly once Moreno was winning halfway through the first I though Fig needed a stoppage, or at minimum badly hurt Moreno multiple times to turn the tide.

Not as sure how Askar matches up against Moreno, who seems to now be very solid everywhere. Could be very competitive.

While I would have preferred an Askar title fight next, Perez is a decent test that he should pass.

Problem is that if Askar loses we don’t have much left at flyweight.

I’m pretty confident Fig will lose the rubber match sadly. Track record isn’t great for guys who made their move by overwhelming with physicality at the expense of tactics. Guys like Costa, Vettori and Walker began to look hopeless as soon as they faced someone who combined elite skill with coachability and composure. Cannot be a meathead and hold a belt down at the elite levels anymore.

Fig always has the KO or flash sub but Moreno is dialed in and it looks like his time to run with the title, Askar IMO being the one potential hiccup. (Frankly I hope that fight is close but ‘Gar wins so they run it back).

This smells like Edgar-Penn II to me. Fig will think he’s better and just needs to show up in good shape with the same tools and same plan, and he’ll get beat as decisively or worse. Maybe won’t succumb to RNC in better shape but throwing single bombs and jumping for chokes that aren’t quite there won’t be enough. Future probably move to bantam likely for Fig where he will be hit and miss with his wild style. Very much hope I am wrong but that’s my instinct on Fig.

Anyone see it differently?

If Askar loses to Perez then obviously he didnt deserve the shot.

Pantoja has 2 wins over Moreno and is #2. Hes an easy sell as an opponent. The third fight with Fig is there too. Thats 3 possible opponents. Thats a year or more of opponents. No division has 4 or 5 guys lined up for title shots. In a year the landscape could be completely different.

I really don't understand why so many seem think Askarov beats Moreno 2nd time around when he should have lost the first, based on beating washed Joey B? Lol, Champ Moreno just fucking dominated the dude who ruined Joey B's life..

Moreno arguably won all 3 rounds against Askar. Pretty crazy how only Askarov has improved since their fight and Moreno hasnt...SIKE.
Moreno finishes Askar the next time they match up. Assassin baby just finished the champ, Askar struggled with old JoeB, youre in for a rude awakening
Your in for a rude awakening when you wake up and you've pissed the bed and Moreno is out cold face down on the canvas

Your in for a rude awakening when you wake up and you've pissed the bed and Moreno is out cold face down on the canvas
Why would I be sleeping when a Moreno fight is on? Ill definitely be watching when Assassin Baby puts another Mexican beatdown on Askarov. If Askar can make title weight that is :p

Askarov won the first round without a shadow of doubt, you're delusional. He also should have won the 2nd round via top control and offense from top. Lmao at Moreno "winning all 3 rounds", only round he won was the third one, because Askarov got too comfortable on the bottom due to his inexperience with UFC scoring. Moreno got lucky in the sense that he got to fight Askarov in his octagon debut and still couldn't do any damage, lmao at him finishing Askarov.

Only reason why Moreno got gifted a draw in the first place was because Sal D'amato was smoking crack that night and scored round 3 as a 10-8 round in favor of Moreno, which is nonsense: Moreno didn't do anything aside from staying on top. A 10-9 round was far more realistic.

View attachment 861238
How the fuck does Sal have a job? It really seems like he doesn't even watch the fights

Top contender who is deaf, can’t speak English and will close the door to enjoy his quiet and reserved life when he gets the belt. Never mind the fact the effort he went through to win alone while not hearing his coaches.

Of course Dana the scumbag is gonna treat him like this.

Back