News Askar Askarov vs. Alex Perez set for UFC Vegas 33

Potential nr.1 contender? Askarov is already ranked 2 and if he wins he'll get bumped to 1. There should be no "potential" here, if Askarov wins he should get the title shot.
Also he has a draw over the current champion.

WTF UFC?

Moreno arguably won all 3 rounds against Askar. Pretty crazy how only Askarov has improved since their fight and Moreno hasnt...SIKE.
Moreno finishes Askar the next time they match up. Assassin baby just finshed the champ, Askar struggled with old JoeB, youre in for a rude awakening
Askarov won the first round without a shadow of doubt, you're delusional. He also should have won the 2nd round via top control and offense from top. Lmao at Moreno "winning all 3 rounds", only round he won was the third one, because Askarov got too comfortable on the bottom due to his inexperience with UFC scoring. Moreno got lucky in the sense that he got to fight Askarov in his octagon debut and still couldn't do any damage, lmao at him finishing Askarov.

Only reason why Moreno got gifted a draw in the first place was because Sal D'amato was smoking crack that night and scored round 3 as a 10-8 round in favor of Moreno, which is nonsense: Moreno didn't do anything aside from staying on top. A 10-9 round was far more realistic.

Askarov Moreno.png

Askarov won the first round without a shadow of doubt, you're delusional. He also should have won the 2nd round via top control and offense from top. Lmao at Moreno "winning all 3 rounds", only round he won was the third one, because Askarov got too comfortable on the bottom due to his inexperience with UFC scoring. Moreno got lucky in the sense that he got to fight Askarov in his octagon debut and still couldn't do any damage, lmao at him finishing Askarov.

Only reason why Moreno got gifted a draw in the first place was because Sal D'amato was smoking crack that night and scored round 3 as a 10-8 round in favor of Moreno, which is nonsense: Moreno didn't do anything aside from staying on top. A 10-9 round was far more realistic.

View attachment 861238
I can tell you didnt watch the fight, 13 out of 14 writers on MMA Decision scored it for Moreno. Multiple 30-27's for the Assassin Baby. This isnt the hill you want to die on, Askarov got whooped and nearly finshed the first time

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210615-105810_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210615-105810_Samsung Internet.jpg
    451.3 KB · Views: 4
Lol Askarov has definitely already earned his title shot after beating Benavidez but since UFC knows he's not marketable they're hoping Perez takes him out.

Moreno probably finishes Askarov in a rematch, should be a good fight though.

I can tell you didnt watch the fight, 13 out of 14 writers on MMA Decision scored it for Moreno. Multiple 30-27's for the Assassin Baby. This isnt the hill you want to die on, Askarov got whooped and nearly finshed the first time
No one cares what mediatards think, lol. These are the same retarded UFC shills who have been keeping McGregor in the fake UFC rankings forever despite him losing fights one after another and not fighting for years. No wonder they all shilled against the unmarketable newcomer. I have more respect for your average shertard.

I think Dana doesn't want Askarov to be champ. He's a deaf Russian guy who grapples his opponents to decision. Probably can't cut a promo in English or Russian.

I am shocked at everyone assuming Askarov beats Perez.

Perez figures to have a speed and power advantage, and his wrestling may be sound enough to nullify Askarov's. This is a very interesting fight.

I also believe the UFC gives Perez a shot again with 1-2 wins. If he finishes Askarov I think they match him with Moreno.. if he wins a decision, probably one more.

Hope Askarov wins. I feel he already deserves the title shot. Good for him for not waiting on it

Perez just lost when he got his title fight why is he in a title eliminator right away???

surprised askarov didn't get the title shot, especially after his last win against benavidez.

askarov via murder

askarovbelt.jpg

Agree. I love fighters like Askarov, etc. who don’t do anything flashy or wild but instead just fight with world class technique, instincts and reflexes.

I had Askar pegged to beat Fig. Fig is one of my favorites but he always seemed like a guy who might be hit or miss, particularly with the weight cutting challenges. Even in his Benavidez fights (especially the first), Fig was winning by pure talent and skills, and not at all by tactics, poise, fight IQ, etc. He got the best of Moreno the first time but the signs were there that if Moreno improved he might be able to take advantage of Fig with a smart game plan. Frankly once Moreno was winning halfway through the first I though Fig needed a stoppage, or at minimum badly hurt Moreno multiple times to turn the tide.

Not as sure how Askar matches up against Moreno, who seems to now be very solid everywhere. Could be very competitive.

While I would have preferred an Askar title fight next, Perez is a decent test that he should pass.

Problem is that if Askar loses we don’t have much left at flyweight.

I’m pretty confident Fig will lose the rubber match sadly. Track record isn’t great for guys who made their move by overwhelming with physicality at the expense of tactics. Guys like Costa, Vettori and Walker began to look hopeless as soon as they faced someone who combined elite skill with coachability and composure. Cannot be a meathead and hold a belt down at the elite levels anymore.

Fig always has the KO or flash sub but Moreno is dialed in and it looks like his time to run with the title, Askar IMO being the one potential hiccup. (Frankly I hope that fight is close but ‘Gar wins so they run it back).

This smells like Edgar-Penn II to me. Fig will think he’s better and just needs to show up in good shape with the same tools and same plan, and he’ll get beat as decisively or worse. Maybe won’t succumb to RNC in better shape but throwing single bombs and jumping for chokes that aren’t quite there won’t be enough. Future probably move to bantam likely for Fig where he will be hit and miss with his wild style. Very much hope I am wrong but that’s my instinct on Fig.

Anyone see it differently?

No one cares what mediatards think, lol. These are the same retarded UFC shills who have been keeping McGregor in the fake UFC rankings forever despite him losing fights one after another and not fighting for years. No wonder they all shilled against the unmarketable newcomer. I have more respect for your average shertard.

Seeing you two arguing made me rewatch the fight.
First thing : that was an awesome fight, can't wait to see these two in a 5 round.

Round 1 - Giving it to Askar since he got the takedown, took the back of Moreno and was really aggressive in bottom position. Moreno top position doesn't count since he is being elbowed in the head and escaping armbar attempt. He win the striking exchange in the last minute.

Round 2 - HOW THE FUCK CAN YOU GIVE IT TO MORENO?? Askar wrestlefuck him for 3 minutes and a half, put the pressure and win the stand up for 1 minutes and then Moreno manage to land a headkick/knee that drop Askar, but it's almost a slip.

Round 3 - Moreno got the takedown and top control for the first 3 minutes but again, Askarov is the one being super aggressive with elbow and submissions attempt. Then Moreno take the back, lazy RNC attempt, lazy strike from the back and even manage to finish on bottom. Definitely not a 10 - 8 .

29-28 Askarov , and i'm a Moreno fan and i'll be rooting for him in the rematch. Askarov is really very aggressive from bottom position, while Moreno uses grappling for submissions attempt but not damage.
People reward top position too easily : if you are eating elbow and escaping armbar and triangle, you are not the one winning in my book.

Seeing you two arguing made me rewatch the fight.
First thing : that was an awesome fight, can't wait to see these two in a 5 round.

Round 1 - Giving it to Askar since he got the takedown, took the back of Moreno and was really aggressive in bottom position. Moreno top position doesn't count since he is being elbowed in the head and escaping armbar attempt. He win the striking exchange in the last minute.

Round 2 - HOW THE FUCK CAN YOU GIVE IT TO MORENO?? Askar wrestlefuck him for 3 minutes and a half, put the pressure and win the stand up for 1 minutes and then Moreno manage to land a headkick/knee that drop Askar, but it's almost a slip.

Round 3 - Moreno got the takedown and top control for the first 3 minutes but again, Askarov is the one being super aggressive with elbow and submissions attempt. Then Moreno take the back, lazy RNC attempt, lazy strike from the back and even manage to finish on bottom. Definitely not a 10 - 8 .

29-28 Askarov , and i'm a Moreno fan and i'll be rooting for him in the rematch. Askarov is really very aggressive from bottom position, while Moreno uses grappling for submissions attempt but not damage.
People reward top position too easily : if you are eating elbow and escaping armbar and triangle, you are not the one winning in my book.
Askarov made a newb mistake in that third round: stayed on the bottom and tried working from the bottom instead of trying to stand up. UFC judges tend to reward top control more than work from the bottom as long as the guy on top is exhibiting some sort of aggressiveness and is not getting caught in sub attempts. It's probably not the way things should be, but it's the way they are in reality and I hope Askarov has learned his mistake of trying to fight from the bottom.

But in any case, the fight should have been scored in Askarov's favor, because the only thing that prevented Askarov from winning that fight was D'Amato having a brain fart and scoring the third round a 10-8, which is just laughable.

Agree. I love fighters like Askarov, etc. who don’t do anything flashy or wild but instead just fight with world class technique, instincts and reflexes.

I had Askar pegged to beat Fig. Fig is one of my favorites but he always seemed like a guy who might be hit or miss, particularly with the weight cutting challenges. Even in his Benavidez fights (especially the first), Fig was winning by pure talent and skills, and not at all by tactics, poise, fight IQ, etc. He got the best of Moreno the first time but the signs were there that if Moreno improved he might be able to take advantage of Fig with a smart game plan. Frankly once Moreno was winning halfway through the first I though Fig needed a stoppage, or at minimum badly hurt Moreno multiple times to turn the tide.

Not as sure how Askar matches up against Moreno, who seems to now be very solid everywhere. Could be very competitive.

While I would have preferred an Askar title fight next, Perez is a decent test that he should pass.

Problem is that if Askar loses we don’t have much left at flyweight.

I’m pretty confident Fig will lose the rubber match sadly. Track record isn’t great for guys who made their move by overwhelming with physicality at the expense of tactics. Guys like Costa, Vettori and Walker began to look hopeless as soon as they faced someone who combined elite skill with coachability and composure. Cannot be a meathead and hold a belt down at the elite levels anymore.

Fig always has the KO or flash sub but Moreno is dialed in and it looks like his time to run with the title, Askar IMO being the one potential hiccup. (Frankly I hope that fight is close but ‘Gar wins so they run it back).

This smells like Edgar-Penn II to me. Fig will think he’s better and just needs to show up in good shape with the same tools and same plan, and he’ll get beat as decisively or worse. Maybe won’t succumb to RNC in better shape but throwing single bombs and jumping for chokes that aren’t quite there won’t be enough. Future probably move to bantam likely for Fig where he will be hit and miss with his wild style. Very much hope I am wrong but that’s my instinct on Fig.

Anyone see it differently?

very good analysis i agree with you on the most part, really worried about the rubber match since i also am a huge fan of figgy, he really needs to change his gameplan if he wants a shot at winning this trilogy.

Nice. Potentially one of the best fights of the year for me personally.

IMO, Askarov beats Moreno.
Would be a fantastic fight though.

Also I doubt Moreno is in any rush to defend the title. Let Mexico celebrate its first ever UFC champion for a little while.

Askarov and Moreno can fight later in the year or early 2022, no problem.
I agree. Let the flyweight division brew a little bit, line up some new contenders.

Glad they didn't give Askarov a title fight after missing weight.

very good analysis i agree with you on the most part, really worried about the rubber match since i also am a huge fan of figgy, he really needs to change his gameplan if he wants a shot at winning this trilogy.

He shows no regard for his opponent. Benavidez hit him clean several times in their first fight, probably out stuck him by the numbers, at least until getting hurt. Fig walked through it like JB was his little brother. Reminds me a little of BJ Penn.

Back