• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Ask me anything about boxing technique

jeremy williams is a good case study. Never fought any real names in MMA?

TDD is not as hard to get competent at as other facets. it would depend on the fighter tbh.

Takedown defense isn't hard?

GTFO... Ask Wonderboy Thompson how hard it is to have takedown defense, even after preparing for well over a year.

Takedown defense isn't hard?

GTFO... Ask Wonderboy Thompson how hard it is to have takedown defense, even after preparing for well over a year.

never said it was not hard. I said, Relative to other skills, it is not AS hard to get competent at. And it depends on the fighter.

I guess you think all skills are equally hard to learn, and that this is true for all people. :eek:

never said it was not hard. I said, Relative to other skills, it is not AS hard to get competent at. And it depends on the fighter.

I guess you think all skills are equally hard to learn, and that this is true for all people. :eek:

Relative to what? To flying head kick?

You will need much longer than a year to even become half-competent at not being taken down by world level wrestlers, judokas, sambo and jujitsu practitioners. A year is a joke.

how do you bob and weave under hooks? do you concentrate on the V movement? because ive seen alot of boxers just bob under the hook...

Relative to what? To flying head kick?

You will need much longer than a year to even become half-competent at not being taken down by world level wrestlers, judokas, sambo and jujitsu practitioners. A year is a joke.

relative to other skills like, submissions.

Look, the more time the better, but I don't think a year is a joke for a world class athlete that is the best of the best at a combat sport, and is being trained by the best of the best.

Plus, he is not going to fight for the championship in his first fight. So, he would have more like two years under is belt.

I think the bigger challenge is putting all the skills he has, and can develop, into a cohesive fighting style. That would take very long.

relative to other skills like, submissions.

Look, the more time the better, but I don't think a year is a joke for a world class athlete that is the best of the best at a combat sport, and is being trained by the best of the best.

Plus, he is not going to fight for the championship in his first fight. So, he would have more like two years under is belt.

I think the bigger challenge is putting all the skills he has, and can develop, into a cohesive fighting style. That would take very long.

World class athlete is also relative.

I don't think you really have a grasp of how long it takes to become proficient at something they've never even attempted. If you said four, five years, I'd buy that. One year? Do you really want to see Klitschko get GnP'd that bad?

World class athlete is also relative.

I don't think you really have a grasp of how long it takes to become proficient at something they've never even attempted. If you said four, five years, I'd buy that. One year? Do you really want to see Klitschko get GnP'd that bad?

I dont know his history, so if im wrong then my bad. But cro cop made the transition fairly quickly and seemed to pick ip good tdd fast, no? Again, i could be wrong so dont go ape shit

TS, I've just started training so I've got a few questions...

- A lot of the time I end up hurting my wrists, particularly with hooks. I know this is a technique issue, and I've started using hand wraps, which helps, but what exactly should I be doing to avoid this pain. I've had people tell me it's partly wrist strength and I'll just get used to it. I'm sure this is partly true, but I don't want to learn bad habits.

- When throwing a hook, what angle should my wrist/hand be on? Should I have my palm facing the floor or facing me?

- Do you recommend landing with the first two knuckles, or the last three? I've heard both recommended and would like your opinion.

Thanks in advance.

For throwing hooks. I've noticed where you keep your palm facing the ground ad you make impact and where your pinky finger is facing the ground. Is one more correct/better? Is it a matter of preference? Thanks TS

TS, I've just started training so I've got a few questions...

- A lot of the time I end up hurting my wrists, particularly with hooks. I know this is a technique issue, and I've started using hand wraps, which helps, but what exactly should I be doing to avoid this pain. I've had people tell me it's partly wrist strength and I'll just get used to it. I'm sure this is partly true, but I don't want to learn bad habits.

- When throwing a hook, what angle should my wrist/hand be on? Should I have my palm facing the floor or facing me?

- Do you recommend landing with the first two knuckles, or the last three? I've heard both recommended and would like your opinion.

Thanks in advance.

Arm/hand position with hook:
90degree bend in elbow joint, arm horizontal, palm facing the ground, connect straight on with the top 2 knuckles.
Not having your arm horizontal commonly causes wrist injuries.
If you are performing it correctly and still getting pain then either you have a medical issue or a conditioning issue.
Try knuckle pushups, should strengthen your wrists over time but don't expect it instantly.

For throwing hooks. I've noticed where you keep your palm facing the ground ad you make impact and where your pinky finger is facing the ground. Is one more correct/better? Is it a matter of preference? Thanks TS

I covered this briefly before.

It's largely preference but if there were to be a "correct" technique then it would be with the palm facing the floor. Makes it easier to connect properly (pinpointing with top 2 knuckles) and also the turn over raises the shoulder naturally for most, protecting the jaw line.

how do you bob and weave under hooks? do you concentrate on the V movement? because ive seen alot of boxers just bob under the hook...

I teach it as a U movement.
Drop, rotate, rise.
When done quickly most people draw a small U shape with their head and I find that avoids them rotating before dropping and turning into things.
Drop where you are then roll under.

Most people purely use their backs for weaving which can be a frustrating habit to work out. Bend from the knees and keep the back relatively straight. If you lean instead of squatting then you sacrifice balance, speed and power because the next movement is relying on your spine comeing back into line before executing.

Embarrassing to admit this, but what the hell are those so-called "angles"? People throw around generic comments about how fighters should "work the jab" or "keep his hands up" or "utilize angles". What the fuck are "angles"?

Embarrassing to admit this, but what the hell are those so-called "angles"? People throw around generic comments about how fighters should "work the jab" or "keep his hands up" or "utilize angles". What the fuck are "angles"?

Work the jab = throw more jabs.

Hands up = keep your hands up.

Angles = so many ways to explain this but what it means basically is to not be standing in front of your opponent. When you engage use pivots and step overs and such to move around them.
Imagine your best punch is a left hook but ur opponents right is always glued to the side of there head to protect from it. Come in with a 1-2, step over to the right then fire a left hook and if ur lucky it will find a magical pot of gold right down the middle of their guard.

Also makes it hard for them to lock on to you and do damage if you are moving around like that and gives an unseasoned fighter balance issues.

Opinion on chins? Do you believe in the neck and shoulder excersizes/is it something you're born with/shape of your head etc

Arm/hand position with hook:
90degree bend in elbow joint, arm horizontal, palm facing the ground, connect straight on with the top 2 knuckles.
Not having your arm horizontal commonly causes wrist injuries.
If you are performing it correctly and still getting pain then either you have a medical issue or a conditioning issue.
Try knuckle pushups, should strengthen your wrists over time but don't expect it instantly.

Thanks man, appreciated.

This thread should be stickied.

Back