Ask me anything about boxing technique

facePuncher7

Founder of the militant wing of the Salvation Army
@Brown
Reaction score
This is probably going to go horribly BUT here I find myself..

I see a lot of MT and MMA guys on here asking boxing related questions.
If you have any questions regarding boxing technique and/or strategy then ask away.
I'm an amateur coach with around 12 years experience training and sparring with a small handful of fights. Always been in the gyms with all levels of fighters.

*dont ask me "who would win if X fought X", I don't care, just technique questions, no matter how basic.

Do you find it difficult coming straight in with a body shot without throwing a lead jab. Meaning, is it suicide just rushing straight in with a body hook without trying to put someone's defenses up first?

I just box btw.

Depends, there has to be some sort of setup but it doesn't have to be a lead, or a punch for the matter.

Slipping and ripping is common and effective if you have trouble setting up with the jab.

Walking straight in and dropping body hooks often goes badly. I've not seen someone get away with it more then once in a sparring session/fight. There should always be a setup.

Ah okay. Yeah, I've had mild success with straight body shot when going straight in, but the hook is hard to get away with.

Also, do you suggest trying to learn how to throw hooks off of your back foot? I'm orthodox and love throwing the left hook, but my trainer doesn't even suggest the notion of throwing rights off of the back foot. I realize the range would be tough to find...but I've seen guys do it up close.

It's possible and obviously effective if it hits but an awkward punch. I've seen Russian and Cuban amateurs do it well but besides that not often.

The reason for backing up is usually to create distance and a hook is a shorter punch. Jabbing while backing up is quicker, easier to control and if it lands will create more distance.

So yes you can but I wouldn't encourage it.

Also, you can see fedor do it often. Though his hands are sloppy at times you should watch his feet and hip rotation because that's what really makes the move and he is rarely a step out of place.

Could Mayweather beat Pacquia?

How good, really, is JDS's boxing? Compared to high level boxers.

How come when I'm asleep & I dream about being in a fight my punches always feel like they're in slow motion like i'm under water?

How good, really, is JDS's boxing? Compared to high level boxers.

Haven't seen that much of him to be honest, but from what I have seen I would say this for him:

Athletically awesome, he could adapt if given the right time and training however I picked up on a few worrysome things like charging in without leading, left hand much too low, various defensive lapses.

He does a lot of good on the offensive front, some nice counters, good controlled rotation on many of his strikes (which let's him fire off those fast powerful hook-spam combos).

His aggressive method of boxing is almost wanderlei-esque because it covers his short comings. If he boxes a bit more instead of spamming then someone might find some openings in MMA.

As for pro boxing, at the moment he would get hammered against guys his size but as I said at the start he is very good and could adapt. But then again the quality of most HW boxers right now leaves a lot to be desired.

Could Mayweather beat Pacquia?

Look at it thus way - just about any boxer could knock out any other boxer if they got a free power shot on their jawline. The game of boxing is setting up that opening against the opponents will.

I put a heavy bag in my garage.

I stand south paw and orthodox.

what are a few good combos to practice for both stances?

Do you have some that start off with a counter, block or slip?

I put a heavy bag in my garage.

I stand south paw and orthodox.

what are a few good combos to practice for both stances?

Do you have some that start off with a counter, block or slip?

If you are boxing I would suggest that you do not switch stances, choose one and stick to it for now.

I use a number system for punches with my boxers.
1 - jab
2 - cross
3 - lead hook
4 - rear hook
5 - lead uppercut
6 - rear uppercut
7 - lead body (be it a hook or rip)
8 - rear body
9 - rear overhand

Common combinations you will find at a lot of gyms:

1-2
1-1-2
1-2-3
2-3-2
1-1-2-3-2
6-3-2

You can replace any even number with a slip to your *lead* hand side, or replace any odd number with a slip to your *rear* hand side.

This is probably going to go horribly BUT here I find myself..

I see a lot of MT and MMA guys on here asking boxing related questions.
If you have any questions regarding boxing technique and/or strategy then ask away.
I'm an amateur coach with around 12 years experience training and sparring with a small handful of fights. Always been in the gyms with all levels of fighters.

*dont ask me "who would win if X fought X", I don't care, just technique questions, no matter how basic.

I have the basics well in boxing. But since your a straight boxer, I wanted to ask you about Giorgio Petrosyans boxing skills, because his punching technique is unlike any Muay Thai stand up fighter I've ever seen or trained with.

Any comments?

How come when I'm asleep & I dream about being in a fight my punches always feel like they're in slow motion like i'm under water?

I suspect it's something to do with REM Atonia. Your body 'turns off' your muscles while you're asleep so you dont go full retard every time you have a dream.

Quick question - Do you teach your boxers to fully rotate the fist with the punch (so the thumb ends up facing the floor, and the shoulder is gets pulled up to protect against a counter)?

That's how I throw my straights at 'range' (jabs and crosses).

I suspect it's something to do with REM Atonia. Your body 'turns off' your muscles while you're asleep so you dont go full retard every time you have a dream.

That's awesome, I had no answer

Quick question - Do you teach your boxers to fully rotate the fist with the punch (so the thumb ends up facing the floor, and the shoulder is gets pulled up to protect against a counter)?

That's how I throw my straights at 'range' (jabs and crosses).

As long as the palm is at least facing the floor, if they go further that's find. Shoulders cover jawline.

Same rule with hooks for me too. There's a lot of debate about how to connect with your hooks and I usually only MAKE them turn their hands over if it is needed to get the jawline protected. If they can do it with a splashing hook then fine.

^^^ Thanks for the very fast response 'coach'.

I have the basics well in boxing. But since your a straight boxer, I wanted to ask you about Giorgio Petrosyans boxing skills, because his punching technique is unlike any Muay Thai stand up fighter I've ever seen or trained with.

Any comments?

I will watch some footage of him tonight and let you know, haven't seen enough. I think I remember him being very defensively sound.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
durbanik916
Back