• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Ask me anything about boxing technique

The jab is most commonly a moving punch, not a rotating punch.. strangely I am going to say your MMA coach is more on the right track. Foot rotation on a jab scares me as a concept.. how do you fire multiple jabs???

Hmmm. Is there a type of jab that exists in the world of boxing where you rotate your front foot? Ill be honest with you, I get a hell of a lot more power when I do it that way, rotating sideways and what not.

I suspect it's something to do with REM Atonia. Your body 'turns off' your muscles while you're asleep so you dont go full retard every time you have a dream.

So what you're really saying is that I can't stimulate my motor neurons. Fuck you buddy.

I was just going to say this.

Also the answer is probably no.

I hate to agree, but after watching recent fights by both of them, I think floyd is to fast and clean. If pacman can bait him into brawling he'd have a chance, but he'd have to get him to make a choice to stand and brawl. No chance to corner him or cut the ring off

^^ thread slowly turning into pac/PBF discussion.

With that said, and looking at Anderson Silva's, Cain Velazquez and GSP's stand up skills, relative to their boxing technique, how well would he perform under K-1 rules as opposed to MMA?

Junior? I think he would do quite well but K1 has some very talented heavies. He's not going anywhere except another MMA org without tune up fights and time to adapt but his potential is huge, I think he's just made for combat sports.

Hmmm. Is there a type of jab that exists in the world of boxing where you rotate your front foot? Ill be honest with you, I get a hell of a lot more power when I do it that way, rotating sideways and what not.

Nope. The knee can flex, but there shouldnt be foot rotation on a jab.

The rotation will put some venom on it but most commonly its not a power shot, its a jab and called so for a reason. If you were to rotate into it I would call it a lead straight or a lead cross (which sounds paradoxical) if you fired it from a slip.

Can't think of anyone that rotates into jabs in the pros off the top of my head. Ike Quartey maybe.. read Sin's sticky thread "the magical jabs". Ivan Robinson had a jab that I really liked and I see as being technically sounds, but Larry Holmes' jab was encapsulated in other-worldly awesomeness.

Ike didnt rotate the front foot in fights.

I don't see any benefit of rotating your foot on a jab. Does it get more torque? It's a straight technique, it feels like it would actually rob power from the punch.

why can't a top ten boxer practice Take down defense for a year straight and raid the UFC?

I guess money is a huge factor. If the ufc paid 10x more then boxing I suspect we'd see attempst at this....

But, why else?

why can't a top ten boxer practice Take down defense for a year straight and raid the UFC?

I guess money is a huge factor. If the ufc paid 10x more then boxing I suspect we'd see attempst at this....

But, why else?

This isn't much a technique question as it is culture/finance.

Money/effort/time/understanding/background.

But, why else?

LOL, a year?

C'mon son...

But, why else?

Leg kicks, lol.

Jds is a close approximation of this though I'm not one to worship his boxing skills. He has way of keeping his hips back as he punches so that he has a sprawl loaded at any given time

This isn't much a technique question as it is culture/finance.

Money/effort/time/understanding/background.

interesting response. If i read you correct, it sounds like you think it would be physically possible technique and skill wise. not saying I'd disagree btw.

Leg kicks, lol.

Jds is a close approximation of this though I'm not one to worship his boxing skills. He has way of keeping his hips back as he punches so that he has a sprawl loaded at any given time

TDD is not as hard to get competent at as other facets. it would depend on the fighter tbh.

Leg kicks, lol.

that's really what I'm sayin. Cro cop was hard to take down. Though he was a k-1 fighter and his kicks were lethal. But still, i think the real reason we don't see more attempts is lack of $

interesting response. If i read you correct, it sounds like you think it would be physically possible technique and skill wise. not saying I'd disagree btw.

I see it being a case of very good MMA guys then excelling at boxing long before we see high level boxers breaking in.

A high level boxer coming in will have a target on his legs regardless of what he has done to prepare. Everyone will be after his name too. Just how people have abused a high level wrestler like Brock coming in, he has a target on his jawline.

A guy that is well rounded and develops a world class boxing game on top of that is going to be one formidable mo fugga.

TDD is not as hard to get competent at as other facets. it would depend on the fighter tbh.

Agreed.

A scrappier boxer would make the transition much easier.

Mayweather would get smoked, he boxes. David Tia would have a much better chance, strong and aggressive.

Also another factor is that once they get to the top of boxing and make a name they are mostely too old to make a smooth transition and learn all the new techniques.
Even more importantly they are going to have things to unlearn which are dangerous.

I see it being a case of very good MMA guys then excelling at boxing long before we see high level boxers breaking in.

A high level boxer coming in will have a target on his legs regardless of what he has done to prepare. Everyone will be after his name too. Just how people have abused a high level wrestler like Brock coming in, he has a target on his jawline.

A guy that is well rounded and develops a world class boxing game on top of that is going to be one formidable mo fugga.

Jon Jones - could see him being a larry donald type, or maybe chys byrd

GSP - I don't know who I'd compare him to

Arlovski - chin

JDS - has some hand speed,

manhoef - would be fun to watch.

but for some reason I can't picture any of these guys catching up to the specialized skill level needed to be a real champion.

Back