ASilva or JVarner, which injury is more painful to watch?

Earthworm Jim

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Jamie Varner's multiple ankle breakers vs James Krause
broken-ankle.gif

or

Anderson Silva's massive shin snap vs Chris Weidman
Anderson-Silva-Leg-Break-GIF.gif

So which fighter's injury makes u cringe when u see it over & over & over in .gif form & is just plain more painful to watch for u?
P.S. I don't have a fetish for this type of thing by the way :wink:

Last edited:
For me it was Varner's. Anderson's was bad but it was over quickly. Varner's was several minutes of watching a man's broken ankle roll under his leg every time he stood on it.

i feel so bad for varner. that ref should have clearly seen he was hurt badly. horrible job by the ref

Anderson and it's not even close. I actually suffered a similar injury to Jamie, it's not that gruesome. Varner even made it through the round(although obviously, the vast majority of people and even fighters wouldn't have).

Varner's was harder to watch because he kept struggling to stand up.

Anderson's by far, at least Varner's leg was intact as far as not being bent in the middle of the shin.

Varner hands down. That shit lasted almost the whole 5 mins

I've never cringed as much in a fight as I did with Varner vs Krause.
Just knowing the ankle/leg was broken en everytime he'd apply pressure it'd fold, over and over.

AS is more gruesome, but Varner is harder to watch because he still stood and bang and tried to finish the fight.

Varner has had such terrible luck in his UFC run. I hate seeing such an exciting fighter constantly suffer so many set-backs. He's currently on perhaps the most undeserved three fight skid that I've ever seen.

To answer the question, though, I'd have to say Anderson. Varner's was rough to watch but Silva's was just outright gruesome. It was even worse at the time too because you had that feeling of 'Fuck, this shit might actually be the end of Anderson's career...' and it just felt like such a brutal way to go out.

Anderson's for sure. I broke my ankle same night as Varner coincidentally. Not a lot of pain associated with mine, lots of swelling though. I was able to jump back over the fence, walk back to my patrol car, drive myself to the hospital with mine broken.

Anderson's was just brutal and was a borderline open/compound fracture. Varner did a lot of extra damage to his on his own though.

Silva's by far.

Live reactions:

Varner fight: **Varner stumbles** I think he hurt his ankle. **Varner stumbling more** Yeah, Joe is talking about it. He looks like he's in a lot of pain. **Varner keeps fighting** He's trying to fight through it, though. He's a stud. **Varner falls again** Ah, man, he went down again. They should stop this. **Varner keeps trying to fight** Man, he's tough.

Silva fight: **Silva throws kick** AGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Anderson's for sure. I broke my ankle same night as Varner coincidentally. Not a lot of pain associated with mine, lots of swelling though. I was able to jump back over the fence, walk back to my patrol car, drive myself to the hospital with mine broken.

Anderson's was just brutal and was a borderline open/compound fracture. Varner did a lot of extra damage to his on his own though.

But I thought Judge Dredd drove a motorbike?

Anderson and it's not even close. I actually suffered a similar injury to Jamie, it's not that gruesome. Varner even made it through the round(although obviously, the vast majority of people and even fighters wouldn't have).

To me it's Anderson by far... my perception though is probably highly influenced by having had a leg break similar to Anderson's (broken tibia and fibula... not from kickboxing though) so seeing it reminds me of breaking my leg. Also, just seeing the snapped bone pulled back at that angle is really brutal.

Varner is one tough S.O.B... I can't imagine how he could just it out like that. Dana should give him a big check, he could possibly be the toughest guy in the UFC

Of course Andy's was worse in terms of damage and I wish Andy got hurt ankle instead of that shin, but Varner's was imo much harder to watch. Only time I have cringed more is when I saw vagina for the first time.

It's really amazing how the body can shut off the pain in the heat of the moment... Clearly it must be the shock and adrenaline.

I badly broke my leg in a way similar to Silva's last summer and although you could obviously see it was totally screwed up, it really didn't hurt at that time. Also I had broken my wrist and ribs at the same time and didn't even realize it until the next day because everyone was so focused on the leg.

The body can do amazing things. After my injury I thought my leg would never be the same again, and when I saw Silva's break I thought he'd never fight again but 10 months later I'm amazed how well my leg (thanks to a titanium rod and a great surgeon) is doing and I can picture Silva being able to fight again based on my experience.

It would be terrifying trying those first kicks though... it is really hard to trust the leg when you first come back

Back