AS is training Filipino Boxing

Anderson knows what he is doing, but if there is one thing that Sherdog loves to criticize it is fighters training methods.

I am a black belt in Alaskan karate.

I also teach under the Master

samhoger.jpg

Not sure on the AS part about him training it, but there are some really slick combos that flow pretty fluidly in this video. For someone with Silva's technique and movement, I could see him being able to pull them off.

Why do you have to put in check what i am saying? If i´m saying AS said so it´s because he said so why would i invent something like that? Am i a filipino boxing trainer?

This is the interview at 2:50 he will say he is training boxing filipino for one year

Whats funny and sad is that these guys would beat up a shit ton of sherdoggers. lmao

The paper cutting is interesting, I would suppose similar to a Jackson eye poke training? When I punch paper it doesn't cut.

lol @ filipino boxing. this is just sloppy boxing with some arm deflections and kicks

It´s not, if you have the patience to search youtube you will see a variety of techniques

But even arm deflections and unsual punching and striking can surprise a oponnent who is used to english boxing.

Maybe he should learn Japanese breaking dancing at least next time he clowns he might not get KTFO.

Can't right off any techniques because a person skilled enough to implement them in MMA could easily come along out of nowhere. We thought Karate had no real use in MMA ten years ago, now here we are 2016 raving about it.
I agree.
Machida and wonderboys effective use of techniques and even distinct movement (like a point sparring fighter) that were thought to be useless or ineffective def backs this statement up.

looks like open handed arnis/escrima stuff but with gloves on. never heard it called filipino boxing before. honestly i think arnis is more popular in the states than they are in the Philippines now though i guess there are some classes taught for police but that's mainly for using sticks. if you look at most of the top filipino fighters they have a wushu base

Why do you have to put in check what i am saying? If i´m saying AS said so it´s because he said so why would i invent something like that? Am i a filipino boxing trainer?

This is the interview at 2:50 he will say he is training boxing filipino for one year

I think you misunderstood my post. I never said I didn't believe you or ask you to check anything or inferred you made anything up.

I said I'm not sure about him training it (as I've never heard this before, and there was nothing in the original clip you posted to verify it), but it's an art I could see him using effectively because of his movement and agility.

Holy shit, would suck to get in a fight with that old man showing Anderson some moves.

Filipino here, who learned boxing in the Philippines and also studied Kali/Escrima/Arnis.

what you see in the video, and someone more knowledgable should correct me, is not "Filipino boxing," it's the modified form of Arnis (also called Kali or Escrima) which is really weapon combat (batons, knives, short swords), the type taught by law enforcement teach. but again it's modified for hand to hand combat--which is actually taught, but I don't believe it's technically called Filipino boxing

Is there such a thing as Filipino boxing then?

I like the handtrapping and clinch fighting a lot, but let's not kid our selfs, Bisping is going to pop 2 jabs and running a half circle around the octagon. No way he wants to get close to an exchange with Anderson.

Is there such a thing as Filipino boxing then?
this thing they are calling filipino boxing is some adapted form of empty hand (no sticks) style of arnis/escrima, a traditional filipino martial art.

"suntukan" (based on the word for punch) is the techniques where you're using your hands and arms which has punches, elbows, bolo punches, palm strikes, etc. which is what this filipino boxing thing seems to be (or at least heavily influenced by) but I've never heard it called "filipino boxing" in philippines. must be a name some westerners gave TMA to make it easier to market

if you go to a gym in the Philippines and said "i want to learn boxing" you would not learn suntukan, you would learn western boxing like Pacquiao.

Woah that is wild.

Imagine someone implenting that style. You have to be so quick with pinpoint accuracy. It would be so effective.

Early 30's Silva for sure could do it.

this thing they are calling filipino boxing is some adapted form of empty hand (no sticks) style of arnis/escrima, a traditional filipino martial art.

"suntukan" (based on the word for punch) is the techniques where you're using your hands and arms which has punches, elbows, bolo punches, palm strikes, etc. which is what this filipino boxing thing seems to be (or at least heavily influenced by) but I've never heard it called "filipino boxing" in philippines. must be a name some westerners gave TMA to make it easier to market

if you go to a gym in the Philippines and said "i want to learn boxing" you would not learn suntukan, you would learn western boxing like Pacquiao.

Which art do you feel would be most effective for MMA etc? Like I said I really do like a lot of the handtrapping stuff, I think that's very under utilized in the clinch, especially with elbows and everything allowed. Both Matt brown and Tim Means has been doing that sort of thing for a while and been very effective with it.

Back