• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Movies As an actress is Sigourney Weaver overrated, underrated or as advertised?

As an actress is Sigourney Weaver overrated, underrated or as advertised?

• Total voters
Shes the best female lead that has ever graced the screen without insulting men. She gets the job done.

Truth is, as much as I love Ripley, I havent see Sigourney do much else. I've seen other movies shes in, but none that showcase her acting talent past Ripley.

Anyway, saw a meme last week saying something like, "is there anyone else out there named Sigourney or is she it?"

Met her in real life when she was filming a series here in Aus. SUPER nice lady not a self absorbed fuck wit at all, really down to earth and treated the people around her well.

Big fan of her work before meeting her, after meeting her it just boosted her a few more points.

One of my earliest hard-ons.

68af621b6d5e157448f7985a1b35f19b.jpg

4f0a951671677bedd406ffa0db920349.jpg

728cc91f01792c396561d2e3cba0995e.jpg

I was a wee lad then, and didn't even know what a hard-on was...

Shes the best female lead that has ever graced the screen without insulting men. She gets the job done.

Truth is, as much as I love Ripley, I havent see Sigourney do much else. I've seen other movies shes in, but none that showcase her acting talent past Ripley.

Anyway, saw a meme last week saying something like, "is there anyone else out there named Sigourney or is she it?"

lol yeah Sigourney is very unique name indeed.

Underrated as an actress. Overrated in sex appeal.

Could never decide if I find her attractive or not. At times I think she looks pretty good but something about her hair always makes her look kind of frumpy to me.

I think she's underrated. She's only been nominated for an Oscar 3x, has never won.

She's very diverse in her range. Often overlooked as a great actress imo.

Imo regarding her movie career she is overrated a lot. For alien she was great but thats basically it. "Working Girl" she succeeded as that was basically her real character. The problem is with Alien she changed into a giant asshole terrorizing other actors, directors etc as the fame had gotten to her head. She was a huge part of the reason why the production of Alien 3 was such a clusterfuck as she bullied other actors, wanted to control the script...etc. Having such a mentality limits you as an actor. No surprise she went on to spill her braindead political rants when trump got elected. Toxic personality.

Riddley Scott and Cameron made her career but they could have propelled hundreds of other actors to the same stardom giving them the role in Alien 1 and 2. She is not a special talent.

Imo regarding her movie career she is overrated a lot. For alien she was great but thats basically it. "Working Girl" she succeeded as that was basically her real character. The problem is with Alien she changed into a giant asshole terrorizing other actors, directors etc as the fame had gotten to her head. She was a huge part of the reason why the production of Alien 3 was such a clusterfuck as she bullied other actors, wanted to control the script...etc. Having such a mentality limits you as an actor. No surprise she went on to spill her braindead political rants when trump got elected. Toxic personality.

Riddley Scott and Cameron made her career but they could have propelled hundreds of other actors to the same stardom giving them the role in Alien 1 and 2. She is not a special talent.
Who would you have liked to see as Ripley?

I don't agree with that at all, Alien especially most of the rest of the cast were established heavyweight actors and she stood up to them very well.

I believe Meryl Streep was cast at one stage, Helen Mirren also went for it, I could see either of those working pretty well but I don't think they would have been as hard nosed as Weaver.

I can see she being rather protective of the Alien franchise, that was really "her" franchise in terms of how the public viewed her she really WAS Ripley akin to Harrison Ford being Han Solo and Indy, she is very clearly the best thing in Alien 3 as well.

Last edited:
Honestly now the role is fused with Weaver over decades into one iconic figure. Ellen Ripley is Weaver at this point. Its like asking who could have played Luke Skywalker or Han Solo. Not possible anymore.

With Alien 3 we really got a movie how she wanted it only focused on her and not much on other characters and sorry to say she couldnt deliver. She is just not on that level. She needs a strong cast beside her like 1 and 2 had.

But back then yes quite some actresses could have done it. Mirren like mentioned absolutely or Charlotte Rampling (both better than Weaver) or Veronica Cartwrtight could have excelled at that role instead of being Lambert or any other less famous actress back then, . Sorry I just dont see Weaver as exciting an actress like f.e. John Hurt, Tom Skerrit or Harry Dean Stanton from the first movie. We would have loved the movies just the same with annother actress.

In Aliens, when they’re coming out of stasis or whatever, and she’s just wearing underwear, you can see her pubes from what I’m sure is a massive bush coming out the sides of her underwear in that scene.

So, as advertised.

Best action role a woman ever done and top 10 action roles ever, easily. Ripley is immortal.

Honestly now the role is fused with Weaver over decades into one iconic figure. Ellen Ripley is Weaver at this point. Its like asking who could have played Luke Skywalker or Han Solo. Not possible anymore.

With Alien 3 we really got a movie how she wanted it only focused on her and not much on other characters and sorry to say she couldnt deliver. She is just not on that level. She needs a strong cast beside her like 1 and 2 had.

But back then yes quite some actresses could have done it. Mirren like mentioned absolutely or Charlotte Rampling (both better than Weaver) or Veronica Cartwrtight could have excelled at that role instead of being Lambert or any other less famous actress back then, . Sorry I just dont see Weaver as exciting an actress like f.e. John Hurt, Tom Skerrit or Harry Dean Stanton from the first movie. We would have loved the movies just the same with annother actress.
I feel that Cartwright would probably have been a bit too much "scream queen" for Ripley, she ended up being perfect for Lambert and I'd argue probably the second most important casting after Weaver really selling the sense of fear, either her or Ian Holmes Ash.

Mirren I think you can see in retrospect she probably would have worked pretty well, she played plenty of roles in the years afterwards were she's pretty hard nosed although more of a "strong silent brit" type, if she'd tried wearing the same panties as Weaver that certainly would have been a sight lol. I'm guessing the producers were probably more keen on an American lead though.

@moreorless87
But Cartwright had to act as deeply frightened crew member. You can't project that on her as Ripley. Pretty sure she would have approached that very different. But honestly Rampling would have been my favourite. Such a magnificent actress.

Last edited:
@moreorless87
But Cartwright had to act ass deeply frightened crew member. You can't project that on her as Ripley. Pretty sure she would have approached that very different. But honestly Rampling would have been my favourite. Such a magnificent actress.

I do think what Cartwright does best though is selling emotionally compromised characters without making it TOO out in the open, I think thats really important as Lambert in Alien because you can't have her breaking down too easily, she needs to remain emotionally withdrawn like the rest of the crew most of the time.

Rampling besides not being American(which I suspect was the biggest issue) I could see perhaps being a little too cold? Weaver's Ripley I think does manage to still be likable dispite being so hard nosed.

Back