Arrested, Jailed, and Charged With a Felony. For Voting. —North Carolina

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by King in the North, Aug 2, 2018.

1. King in the North

King in the North Brown Belt

War room,

I wanted to get your opinions on this. There are a lot of directions we can go with this one, but we can start with the basic question of should felons lose their right to vote while they remain on parole/probation/some form of community control sanction or punishment?

According to the article, 441 felons illegally voted in NC. Though only one county is pursuing these cases. There is a racial element to this story, because the people being charged are African-American.

NYT only gives you so many free articles a month so I’ll try to fill you guys in with some quotes. If you read the article you can get a more personal side of the story, as it focuses on the defendants.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/02/us/arrested-voting-north-carolina.html

And in case we have any legal scholars who wanted to know the required mental state for the crime (they’re fucked).

I thought this could stir up some good discussion.

2. MMAisGod

MMAisGod Brown Belt

I mean I am not a big fan of that law, but even more ridiculous is that someone would risk prison time to sneak a vote. Can't sympathize with stupid.

3. bushman505

bushman505 Silver Belt

No, there should be no long term reprocussions for being a convicted felon.

MMAisGod and Badger67 like this.
  4. glenwo2

glenwo2 Twisted Glen

As stupid and idiotic as that law is, it's still the Law and it must be followed.

If you're a felon and take such a risk, then everything and anything that happens afterward is on your head and I can't sympathize.

usmctanker242, HockeyBjj and MMAisGod like this.
  5. Fawlty

Fawlty um, Erica...are you okay?

Besides getting rid of the completely unnecessary stripping of voting rights, this is not "felonious" behavior. It's not even fraudulent behavior. I can't in good conscience lock people up for voting. Would gladly nullify any jury case.

6. King in the North

That isn’t what happened though; it seems like there was simply confusion, not an intent to sneak a vote:

7. Teppodama

Teppodama Red Belt

So, where there any other minority or white felons also found to have committed this violation or did they all just happen to be African American? After all, if you're going to push a racist edge to the story there should be some clear cut examples where felons of other racial types where allowed a pass on their illegal vote.

Yorkist likes this.
  8. Edison Carasio

Edison Carasio Excellence of execution belt Platinum Member

Taking away the right to vote after you've completed your sentence and paid your debt to society is wrong. People should be writing congress about it.

9. Badger67

Badger67 Taxidea taxus

No voting from jail. Once released, vote.

10. glenwo2

glenwo2 Twisted Glen

Except for one thing :

He was on Probation more likely so he had YET to "pay his debt to society".

usmctanker242, Rematch and MMAisGod like this.
  11. King in the North

The article doesn’t provide any information of the 441 mentioned people,other than the 12 mentioned, all African-American, because only one county in the state is pressing charges.

That county is Alamance county:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alamance_County,_North_Carolina

19% African-American.

I think the “racial edge” is that these laws disproportionately impact African-Americans. So much that one could argue the purpose of them is to prevent or discourage African-American voting.

12. bushman505

bushman505 Silver Belt

Felons are generally scum. How many are really going to get out and vote???

13. JamesRussler

JamesRussler You can call me Jimmy

We owe it to our felons for their noble service. After all, they paid their debts to society, so we should pay them back. It is the right thing to do. We owe it to them. God bless 'em all.

BudKing8806 and bushman505 like this.
  14. bushman505

bushman505 Silver Belt

Yes, in fact, not only should we restore all of their rights, we should give them special privileges.

JamesRussler likes this.
  15. Teppodama

Teppodama Red Belt

So any law that might disproportionately affects a given demographic should be considered racists regardless of whether it's pursued equally against anyone breaking? Seems a straightforward enough law. If you're a felon you can't vote and the law makes no distinction what your racial type may be. If it's not being enforced that way, that's completely a different issue and yes an example of a racist one.

usmctanker242 likes this.
  16. Edison Carasio

Edison Carasio Excellence of execution belt Platinum Member

Voting is a civic duty. Probation, parole, does not matter in my opinion. Once released, everyone should be able to be a part of our electorate.

17. glenwo2

glenwo2 Twisted Glen

Oh I understand but based on the law over there, he wasn't yet allowed to since he was still serving his sentence.

usmctanker242 likes this.
  18. King in the North

There are a lot of problems with what you just presented.

Your first point; unless you believe people of color to be inheritely more likely to commit crimes, yes, that would be an example of racism. Our entire criminal justice system is racist. This isn’t news. It disproportionately punishes African-Americans at alarming rates. We put an unbelievable number of young black men behind bars every year. It isn’t working. But that isn’t what this thread is about. That is an entirely different issue that would be a headache to get into and a good answer to that problem may not exist.

Next, the problem is it isn’t straight forward enough. Are you really up to date on every law in your state? If you say yes, you’re a liar. None of the examples in this article had any intent to violate any laws, they simply thought they were exercising their right. The law is written in a way that any knowledge or intent is not required for a conviction. Does that not seem like an injustice to you? What are you really detering with a law like that?

Regardless of the intent of law makers, or how the law is enforced, this law would seem to be aimed to disenfranchise African-Americans. That is the outcome.

deviake likes this.
  19. JamesRussler

Exactly. We should give them Netflix and Starbucks for life. It's the least we could do.

bushman505 likes this.
  20. JamesRussler

It's not that law disproportionately affects black people – the problem is that it disproportionately does not affect white people. Ergo, if police would make a sincere effort to lock up more white offenders, the problem can be solved.