Arrested, Jailed, and Charged With a Felony. For Voting. —North Carolina

It's not that law disproportionately affects black people – the problem is that it disproportionately does not affect white people. Ergo, if police would make a sincere effort to lock up more white offenders, the problem can be solved.

It affects poor white people. It’s really a class issue, but race and class are intertwined hopelessly so. Gender too.

At any rate, locking up young black men doesn’t seem to be solving any problems. Outside of violent criminals, it’s a hard sell to put a human in a cage for me, but that’s just my opinion.

Felons should not get their right to vote or their to own arms back. What is the point of escalated charges if we give them their rights back. Punishment is just that punishment. It is meant to be a deterrent. If the punishment is nothing or they get their rights back what is to deter them from committing more crimes?

It affects poor white people. It’s really a class issue, but race and class are intertwined hopelessly so. Gender too.

At any rate, locking up young black men doesn’t seem to be solving any problems. Outside of violent criminals, it’s a hard sell to put a human in a cage for me, but that’s just my opinion.

I agree they should try to lock up more rich people too. Also, I agree that locking up black people doesn't solve the problem. We might consider stopping enforcement on black people altogether to make up for historical injustices. Over time this will level the playing field.

I agree they should try to lock up more rich people too. Also, I agree that locking up black people doesn't solve the problem. We might consider stopping enforcement on black people altogether to make up for historical injustices. Over time this will level the playing field.

I know you’re trying to be witty, but no one is suggesting anything of the nature. I’m sorry if you’re confused.

I know you’re trying to be witty, but no one is suggesting anything of the nature. I’m sorry if you’re confused.

Why are you accusing me of being witty? Take it back.
All I'm saying is that perhaps rich white people should be treated a little more equally under the law. A disproportionate amount of black people are in jail, and we all know why that is.

Why are you accusing me of being witty? Take it back.
All I'm saying is that perhaps rich white people should be treated a little more equally under the law. A disproportionate amount of black people are in jail, and we all know why that is.

Why is that?

Taking away the right to vote after you've completed your sentence and paid your debt to society is wrong. People should be writing congress about it.

I say it depends on the crime.

Rape, crimes against children, high level drug trafficking, massive financial fraud that sort of thing.

But most non-violent felons, yeah.

Maybe the simple thing to do is not strip anyone of their voting rights, regardless of criminal activity.

why would someone want to vote? its like going to the dmv except you get a little american flag sticker after waiting for hours. no thanks. he can have my right to vote

You got a flag sticker?!?!?! Fuck!!! They better five me 2 next time. Maybe they just didn’t give them to people wearing MAGA hats.

I say it depends on the crime.

Rape, crimes against children, high level drug trafficking, massive financial fraud that sort of thing.

But most non-violent felons, yeah.

Non violent felons. Like purgers and blue collar criminals? Seems like those aren’t people I wouldn’t want around either.

Non violent felons. Like purgers and blue collar criminals? Seems like those aren’t people I wouldn’t want around either.

Whats a purger?

If it's a class issue then why do you keep just saying black men? Why not just say locking up young men instead of "young black men"? Are poor young black men committing more crimes than poor young men of other races?

You got a flag sticker?!?!?! Fuck!!! They better five me 2 next time. Maybe they just didn’t give them to people wearing MAGA hats.
sad that people who actually like Trump are demonized. I made a post awhile back because i was told to not bring up politics during thanksgiving because it would upset a guest. 1 guest. so we had to sit in silence while she ranted and raved about liberal shit.

sad that people who actually like Trump are demonized. I made a post awhile back because i was told to not bring up politics during thanksgiving because it would upset a guest. 1 guest. so we had to sit in silence while she ranted and raved about liberal shit.

Lol fuck that.

It is what happened. In essence, you have criminals, out on parole or probation, voting illegally, and then saying they didn't understand the forms. Why were they using voting forms when out on parole or probation anyway? I don't buy "some didn't know" either as I have known this since I was a teenager and I'm far from a criminal.

"each of the Alamance 12 would have been required to sign a form saying they were eligible to vote and were not serving a felony sentence. But the defendants said they did not remember filling out any forms beyond the ballots."

They knew.

I do feel an ex-con should be allowed to vote, but I shed no tear for a criminal still serving time breaking the silliest of rules because they wanted to vote before their sentence was up.

That isn’t what happened. Your knowledge of the law when you were 15 has absolutely no relevance to this discussion.

When you’ve been in and out of jail, prison, court, you’ve signed a lot of forms. None of them had been warned by their PO or any authority figure. They were ignorant to the law. They were not attempting to harm the integrity of our elections.

If the law had been written in a way that an intent to do this crime was required, these people would not be charged. They were negligent in this matter at worst.

War room,

I wanted to get your opinions on this. There are a lot of directions we can go with this one, but we can start with the basic question of should felons lose their right to vote while they remain on parole/probation/some form of community control sanction or punishment?

According to the article, 441 felons illegally voted in NC. Though only one county is pursuing these cases. There is a racial element to this story, because the people being charged are African-American.

NYT only gives you so many free articles a month so I’ll try to fill you guys in with some quotes. If you read the article you can get a more personal side of the story, as it focuses on the defendants.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/02/us/arrested-voting-north-carolina.html

And in case we have any legal scholars who wanted to know the required mental state for the crime (they’re fucked).

I thought this could stir up some good discussion.

There is no racial element to this story. The basis for charging them was they voted despite being convicted felons.

Back