Arrested, Jailed, and Charged With a Felony. For Voting. —North Carolina

Never understood the reasoning for treating felons so harsh in this country.

"Hey you know that guy that committed a crime and has been locked up for 7+ years? Let's make it impossible for him to find a respectable job and remove him from the voting pool. I'm sure that will greatly help in stopping him from committing crimes again."

I actually don't give a shit about the voting rights being taken but having it on your record for life is fucked up. 4-5 years ok but for life?

It is completely bonkers to me that people who could vote perfectly legally in a federal election in one state, but that same person can be jailed for voting in the same federal election in a different state.

I don't think people who have served their time should lose the right to vote. I'm not sure how I feel about people on probation but I do extend that opinion to people on parole.

That said, if your state doesn't allow felons to vote then that's the law and you have to abide by it. I don't think it really matters if you don't know your felon status. That's your responsibility, not the state's.

Back