Arm Wrestling!

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/txUIq2O3wPE&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/txUIq2O3wPE&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

You should squat, deadlift and clean.

You'll need the extra power once they beat you want to body slam them.

I don't arm wrestle but I saw a documentary about a guy who won the title back in the 80's named Lincoln Hawk. He fought the epic 3 minute match against Bull Hurley at the '87 championships. What you need to do is make sure you wear a trucker hat during the match. Then right when the match is about to start, turn it around (slowly!) so it's facing backwards. That seemed to be his secret. Hope it helps!

Would a sleeveless plaid shirt help too?

Thanks for the advice, all. I will be reading up on technique as much as possible. CoCs are probably going to be a birthday present at the end of May, as I'll be requesting the trainer, #1 and #2 together. I have a genetic condition known as "lady fingers", which precludes me from playing guitar or having much forearm strength, so that seems to be my primary focus for arm wrestling.

@ Monger - thanks for the links!

Go "over the top", man. This thread is sweet. Arm wrestling is truly a manly activity. I used to love it in the WSM until Svend Carlson spiral fractured that guy from Austrailia's arm. That was epic pwnage.

Krossinc,
did y'all lean off the table when you AW, or kept free hand on top of table? We always did it informally, with no bodylean. We'd hook free hands in the middle on the table under our wrists.

Generally, on a real table you have a peg to grasp so if doing it informally then I use the other hand to hold on to the table. Using the body is half the art of arm wrestling. A strong lower back is key.

Everything I've read with John Brzenk he always touts grip strength as one of his greatest assets.

Ron Bath also dedicates alot of his game to his back and triceps (if you can turn in and get an advantage you can use your triceps to push down and almost stop your opponent from pushing back at all) But you gotta get the advantage first.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/txUIq2O3wPE&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/txUIq2O3wPE&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

You should squat, deadlift and clean.

You'll need the extra power once they beat you want to body slam them.

looks like dave tate

Some guy here at work doesn't train and arm wrestled some baseball pitcher at a party.

Spiral break and 7 stitches...

I broke my arm while arm wrestling in junior high....that was a lot of fun.

I'd rather challenge them to a bench off or a beer drinking contest.....things I'm OK at and are a bit safer, depending on your surroundings.

definitely technique heavy...learn the 3 common techniques and see which is best for your leverages and strengths...

wrist strength, forarm strength, arm strength, back/core/etc all play a role....so train all ...grip strength can be of huge asset also...

www.gripboard.com i believe has a separate subforum just for AW..

As my arms are likely to be shorter than many others there, I think hook is going to be the most important technique I focus on, followed by hammer curl like training to prevent me getting top-rolled. Strength training is going to be more all around; right now, I'm still focusing on squats and deadlifts, to build my base strength but come summertime, I'll be incorporating cleans and a little hammer curling. I will be getting on grip work right away. Even without CoCs, I can still do wrist roll-ups and pinches, so I'll add one of those in alternating fashion after my normal hell of squats and whatever else the training days holds.

As my arms are likely to be shorter than many others there, I think hook is going to be the most important technique I focus on, followed by hammer curl like training to prevent me getting top-rolled. Strength training is going to be more all around; right now, I'm still focusing on squats and deadlifts, to build my base strength but come summertime, I'll be incorporating cleans and a little hammer curling. I will be getting on grip work right away. Even without CoCs, I can still do wrist roll-ups and pinches, so I'll add one of those in alternating fashion after my normal hell of squats and whatever else the training days holds.

I guarantee you, if you do wrist curls, and get the hook first, he can't top-roll you. Hook, pull, slam. Ref lifts hand- Twist your wrist! Pull with your bicep to extend his arm, bring your hands closer to you than him. Slam him down! Twist, Pull, Slam!

And while I mean no offense to the others, I don't see how grip work is going to do much, except strengthen your forearms, which the wrist curls could do. your grip ain't going nowhere. Once you lock hands, grip is done. You need to be able to pull.
Twist.
Pull.
Slam.

I guarantee you, if you do wrist curls, and get the hook first, he can't top-roll you. Hook, pull, slam. Ref lifts hand- Twist your wrist! Pull with your bicep to extend his arm, bring your hands closer to you than him. Slam him down! Twist, Pull, Slam!

And while I mean no offense to the others, I don't see how grip work is going to do much, except strengthen your forearms, which the wrist curls could do. your grip ain't going nowhere. Once you lock hands, grip is done. You need to be able to pull.
Twist.
Pull.
Slam.

Arm wrestling training consists mostly of bicep work, pulling, of course pracicing and Forearm strength

Back