Arm Wrestling!

SpiralOut

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am mostly a lurker here in S&P, but as my deadlift increases, so does my willingness to stray into these hallowed halls. I have been doing StrongLifts for a couple months and have been loving every minute of it. Anywho, I was drinking Guiness and Whiskey the other night, and made a rather sizeable wager with a friend that in approximately one year's time, I would be able to best anyone in arm wrestling at my fraternity's annual alumni reunion. My question is, what lifts will best prepare me for such an endeavor? I ran a forum search, and didn't really find anything on topic. Also, I apologize in advance if this is the wrong forum, but I couldn't think of another that would be more appropriate. (Grappling is my second, distant choice.) I am really hoping the answer is not curls...

Search for Grip Strength, see FAQ, and get some grippers.

Its also a LOT about technique, so read up on google I would imagine.

ESPN is suprisingly ADDICTIVE to watch when the arm wrestling championships are on..lol

There is a lot of technique to arm wrestling. So practice practice practice. Hammer curls, wrist curls, pinch work, thickbar work, that kinda shit.

Erm, Id say a good crushing grip would help. If you can squeeze the shit out of the opponents hand it might hinder his performance. Arm wrestling is a bit of an awkward movement, Id say just train the whole body evenly, you will get stronger and you will beat guys who are weaker. Simple as that.

I am mostly a lurker here in S&P, but as my deadlift increases, so does my willingness to stray into these hallowed halls. I have been doing StrongLifts for a couple months and have been loving every minute of it. Anywho, I was drinking Guiness and Whiskey the other night, and made a rather sizeable wager with a friend that in approximately one year's time, I would be able to best anyone in arm wrestling at my fraternity's annual alumni reunion. My question is, what lifts will best prepare me for such an endeavor? I ran a forum search, and didn't really find anything on topic. Also, I apologize in advance if this is the wrong forum, but I couldn't think of another that would be more appropriate. (Grappling is my second, distant choice.) I am really hoping the answer is not curls...

Spiral,
I used to beat people much larger than me with technique, and working certain areas. I did bicep curls, as much as they're hated here, and wrist curls. Nothing else - I didn't care. I just wanted to embarass the jockheads at their own game, and looking puny made their shame worse. Wrist curls so you can turn his wrist right off the bat- he loses leverage. And bicep curls, because right after you turn his wrist, you want to pull his arm toward you with your bicep. Now, he has no leverage, and even if he's bigger than you, if you get him here, you can usually wait him out for the win. Thats my very unprofessional experience. My puny ass shamed many a jock, and I married one of the witnesses. :)

HTH

Spiral,
I used to beat people much larger than me with technique, and working certain areas. I did bicep curls, as much as they're hated here, and wrist curls. Nothing else - I didn't care. I just wanted to embarass the jockheads at their own game, and looking puny made their shame worse. Wrist curls so you can turn his wrist right off the bat- he loses leverage. And bicep curls, because right after you turn his wrist, you want to pull his arm toward you with your bicep. Now, he has no leverage, and even if he's bigger than you, if you get him here, you can usually wait him out for the win. Thats my very unprofessional experience. My puny ass shamed many a jock, and I married one of the witnesses. :)

HTH

Bravo.

From my limited experience with arm wrestling I have noticed that leverage is the key to winning. So definitely work on your technique for creating leverage first...and get stronger everywhere else second.

A quick Google search might bring up the helpful shit.

Google FTW.

technique, technique, technique.

Oh, and sledge hammer levering ftw.

I have been doing StrongLifts for a couple months and have been loving every minute of it. Anywho, I was drinking Guiness and Whiskey the other night,

Youll fit right in around here

Arm wrestle a lot. Arm wrestle with a straight wrist, and arm wrestle with your wrist bent slightly toward you. Train for technique with your wrist bent and for power with your wrist straight (you'll fuck your training partners up if you bend your wrist every time).

Don't forget a post workout shake after a serious arm wrestling training session.

there's a lot of core work in it too.

just practice arm wrestling other folks and try to look into any technique tutorial.

Arm Wrestling is actually one of my specialties. My Uncle was actually several time state champion back in the 80s (When people actually arm wrestled) so I learned from someone pretty good. You'd be surprised how much technique matters. Hookin, over the top, back pressure, chest presses - it's fun.

I'm a pretty good arm wrestler. Hand strength and my massive forearms help a lot. I'm good at hooking.

Post%20whoring%20avatar.jpg
Thanks for sharing.

Arm Wrestling is actually one of my specialties. My Uncle was actually several time state champion back in the 80s (When people actually arm wrestled) so I learned from someone pretty good. You'd be surprised how much technique matters. Hookin, over the top, back pressure, chest presses - it's fun.

Krossinc,
did y'all lean off the table when you AW, or kept free hand on top of table? We always did it informally, with no bodylean. We'd hook free hands in the middle on the table under our wrists.

I don't arm wrestle but I saw a documentary about a guy who won the title back in the 80's named Lincoln Hawk. He fought the epic 3 minute match against Bull Hurley at the '87 championships. What you need to do is make sure you wear a trucker hat during the match. Then right when the match is about to start, turn it around (slowly!) so it's facing backwards. That seemed to be his secret. Hope it helps!

Back