Arlovski vs Mir at UFC 191

Kind of reminds me of the timing for chuck/wandy, not ideal but still exciting.

This card isn't going to be as bad as everyone assumed it was going to be. The FW Title fight is pretty solid, and plenty of names and fights on the PPV portion that should ensure violence one way or another.

Doesn't make much sense to make Arlovski fight Mir unless they hope for a huge Andrei KO ( both are coming of 2 KO's though and would be easy to promote for a TS afterwards of any of them score a 3d KO )

Also they both train at Jackson's nowadays...

I think everyone is forgetting that Andrei has the right to decide to sign for the fight or not...

I think it's great and a real throwback to the older fans, can't wait.

Why is Arlovski being put on the sideshow circuit, though? He's on a five-fight winning streak, and his last win was over a top-5 HW. I get the skepticism around the idea that he's truly a top HW again, but he has earned a chance to fight other top guys (and he's the most deserving title challenger at the moment).

But if Werdum is taking time off, AA is going to take one fight against SOMEONE right? This is a main card fight against a guy who's now back in the top 10, has name recognition, and is coming off back to back 1st rd KO wins. If AA wins it's not like he loses his spot, he still gets the next title shot. Why does it matter if he beats Mir or someone currently ranked higher as long as everyone knows he's getting the next shot with a win regardless?

Unless you are saying you just want AA to sit out and wait for Werdum, there's no reason to not like this fight. Absolutely nobody who thinks AA has earned his shot (which is pretty much everyone) is going to think "Well, now that he 'only' beat Mir he should be skipped. Had he beaten JDS well now that's a different story..."

But if Werdum is taking time off, AA is going to take one fight against SOMEONE right? This is a main card fight against a guy who's now back in the top 10, has name recognition, and is coming off back to back 1st rd KO wins. If AA wins it's not like he loses his spot, he still gets the next title shot. Why does it matter if he beats Mir or someone currently ranked higher as long as everyone knows he's getting the next shot with a win regardless?

Unless you are saying you just want AA to sit out and wait for Werdum, there's no reason to not like this fight. Absolutely nobody who thinks AA has earned his shot (which is pretty much everyone) is going to think "Well, now that he 'only' beat Mir he should be skipped. Had he beaten JDS well now that's a different story..."

It threatens AA's shot in two ways, though. First, there's always a chance he can lose, though he'll be a favorite. Second, it does give lots of people a chance to pass him even if he wins. So hypothetically you're right, but as things actually work out, I wonder.

Mir takes this. Arlovski's backfist trick won't work against this time out. Mir has more tricks than the Borat guy has by a long shot.

I've wanted to see this one for years, good that it happens.

It threatens AA's shot in two ways, though. First, there's always a chance he can lose, though he'll be a favorite. Second, it does give lots of people a chance to pass him even if he wins. So hypothetically you're right, but as things actually work out, I wonder.

I would look at it this way: There's risks involved with any of AA's 3 options.

If he decides to sit and wait for Werdum there's the chance it irritates the UFC brass and they in turn "punish" him for it by skipping him over for the title shot. Unlikely they'd do that imo given that not only is he on a winning streak, he has name recognition and he's coming off one of the most entertaining 1 round fights in recent memory.

If he fights Mir, you already laid out the risks. The threat of him losing is certainly real. AA will be favored I agree, I'd imagine in the -180 to -220 area. A 2 to 1 favorite is certainly no lock. It's HW first of all and obviously Mir has shown he has the power to put people to sleep. Mir is a bit of a wild card in that he seemingly could beat or lose to anyone in the top 25 on a given night. I think the risk of him beating Mir and still being passed over is extremely minimal unless it was just an absolute snoozer of a fight. Mir still has name recognition and is top 10. And the UFC isn't looking for reasons to keep AA out of the title pic. He's a far bigger draw than say, Miocic.

If he fights someone ranked higher than Mir it presents far more risk imo given that he'd be an underdog to someone like JDS, probably as much as Mir would be a dog to him. I think the risk of going from what would probably be (by betting odds) a 67% (ish) chance of winning to a 33% (ish) chance of winning is a far bigger risk than worrying he might get jumped by a Rothwell or an Overeem or whoever.

Probably gonna book Werdum/JDS or maybe theyre holding out to see if the can finally sign Fedor so they can set up that rematch idk. But I like the AA/Mir match. 10 years in the making & I cant wait.

jds v overeem is being targeted for october

What was it....like UFC 56 when they brought Mir and Arlovski into the octagon to face off? Now its finally happening.

I would look at it this way: There's risks involved with any of AA's 3 options.

If he decides to sit and wait for Werdum there's the chance it irritates the UFC brass and they in turn "punish" him for it by skipping him over for the title shot. Unlikely they'd do that imo given that not only is he on a winning streak, he has name recognition and he's coming off one of the most entertaining 1 round fights in recent memory.

If he fights Mir, you already laid out the risks. The threat of him losing is certainly real. AA will be favored I agree, I'd imagine in the -180 to -220 area. A 2 to 1 favorite is certainly no lock. It's HW first of all and obviously Mir has shown he has the power to put people to sleep. Mir is a bit of a wild card in that he seemingly could beat or lose to anyone in the top 25 on a given night. I think the risk of him beating Mir and still being passed over is extremely minimal unless it was just an absolute snoozer of a fight. Mir still has name recognition and is top 10. And the UFC isn't looking for reasons to keep AA out of the title pic. He's a far bigger draw than say, Miocic.

If he fights someone ranked higher than Mir it presents far more risk imo given that he'd be an underdog to someone like JDS, probably as much as Mir would be a dog to him. I think the risk of going from what would probably be (by betting odds) a 67% (ish) chance of winning to a 33% (ish) chance of winning is a far bigger risk than worrying he might get jumped by a Rothwell or an Overeem or whoever.

The problem with this is that you're starting from the assumption that the brass agrees that Arlovski is the clear most deserving contender. Dana said that he thought it was JDS, though he was unavailable, and then after that it was between Stipe and Arlovski. So the way I look at it, him fighting Mir pretty much takes the title shot away for sure. Obviously, if he loses he doesn't get it, and if he wins, he probably gets a worse win than either JDS or Stipe get or definitely gets a worse win than whoever beats those guys gets. At his age (and, frankly, skill level), he won't get another shot.

The problem with this is that you're starting from the assumption that the brass agrees that Arlovski is the clear most deserving contender. Dana said that he thought it was JDS, though he was unavailable, and then after that it was between Stipe and Arlovski. So the way I look at it, him fighting Mir pretty much takes the title shot away for sure. Obviously, if he loses he doesn't get it, and if he wins, he probably gets a worse win than either JDS or Stipe get or definitely gets a worse win than whoever beats those guys gets. At his age (and, frankly, skill level), he won't get another shot.

You could be right. I just don't think it's as much a meritocrisy as you maybe. I think AA is just as easy or moreto sell than JDS or really any other HW out there. Could be my nostalgia making me biased but AA's resurgence seems to be more compelling than JDS in yet another title fight.

Fuck Jack, I'm an Arlovski fan and you're starting to depress me.
I could see UFC trying to give the next shot to JDS, which I don't agree with personally because of his recent fights/inactivity.
But I cannot see why they want Stipe in a title fight or in any position to eliminate AA in a top contender fight, should JDS get 1st chance.
I mean Stipe has literally zero charisma and his best win is over a Hunt who was coming off a beating to Werdum.
I don't see any reason for the brass to want anything like a Werdum/Stipe fight, but they keep angling in that direction, smh.

Fuck Jack, I'm an Arlovski fan and you're starting to depress me.
I could see UFC trying to give the next shot to JDS, which I don't agree with personally because of his recent fights/inactivity.
But I cannot see why they want Stipe in a title fight or in any position to eliminate AA in a top contender fight, should JDS get 1st chance.
I mean Stipe has literally zero charisma and his best win is over a Hunt who was coming off a beating to Werdum.
I don't see any reason for the brass to want anything like a Werdum/Stipe fight, but they keep angling in that direction, smh.

Stipe is a funny guy to be honest

What was it....like UFC 56 when they brought Mir and Arlovski into the octagon to face off? Now its finally happening.

Haha yeah, good call. Dana also brought out Tito, Ken, and BJ. BJ looked like he weighed 200 lbs.

Back