Arlovski vs Mir at UFC 191

You could be right. I just don't think it's as much a meritocrisy as you maybe. I think AA is just as easy or moreto sell than JDS or really any other HW out there. Could be my nostalgia making me biased but AA's resurgence seems to be more compelling than JDS in yet another title fight.

I think that while AA might be able to sell, the UFC doesn't want him getting a title shot for some reason (I cannot understand either Dana's belief that JDS is the most deserving challenger or that Stipe is right there with AA, though I think both are clearly better than AA is at this point). AA's resurgence has been fun to watch, but do you really believe in it?

Side note, I really don't like the idea that some guys are just stuck at the top of the rankings and always one fight away from a title shot. JDS is probably the No. 3 fighter in the division and maybe better than that, but he's one fight removed from a title shot in which he was completely dominated. And Miocic is also just on a one-fight streak. They're both better fighters than AA at this point, but neither should be getting the shot ahead of him. I think Werdum has every right to take a break, but it sucks for AA.

I think that while AA might be able to sell, the UFC doesn't want him getting a title shot for some reason (I cannot understand either Dana's belief that JDS is the most deserving challenger or that Stipe is right there with AA, though I think both are clearly better than AA is at this point). AA's resurgence has been fun to watch, but do you really believe in it?

Side note, I really don't like the idea that some guys are just stuck at the top of the rankings and always one fight away from a title shot. JDS is probably the No. 3 fighter in the division and maybe better than that, but he's one fight removed from a title shot in which he was completely dominated. And Miocic is also just on a one-fight streak. They're both better fighters than AA at this point, but neither should be getting the shot ahead of him. I think Werdum has every right to take a break, but it sucks for AA.

My view on AA is that he was probably never as good as some believed when he was UFC champ but he wasn't TOO far below it. And he was never as bad as everyone thought when he was in his funk. He's a top 10 guy with top 5 skills. Totally agree on the rest of your post. Do I think AA is better than JDS or Stipe at this point? Nope. Do i still think he should get the shot based on all factors? Absolutely.

Back