Arlovski has one of the best chin at HW right now.

Said it for years but whatever

The KO’s he received would have knocked out anyone
Not one of them was a ‘bad chin’ moment
They were all bad defence moments

IMO parsing "chin" as to mean anything other than "Propensity to be KTFO" is pointless.

Ngannou KOd Arlovski, but couldn't KO Stipe who got KOd by Struve and a LHW

"Chins" - How do they work?

Ngannou KOd Arlovski, but couldn't KO Stipe who got KOd by Struve and a LHW

"Chins" - How do they work?
It’s not that black and white. Stipe was more defensively responsible against Ngannou than he was against Struve as he knew the risks. He had also become a world class fighter by the time he fought Ngannou. Struve hit him with 4 or 5 good punches in the seconds leading up to the finishing combo against the fence.

Stipe simply has a better chin than Arlovski too. If you followed their careers then you should be able to notice that.

Does it though? There's a lot of variance when taking into account what happens when one takes a strike to the head.
There is a lot of variance, like not seeing the punch, having your hands down, running into the punch, but that doesn’t mean that some fighters can’t absorb shots better than other fighters can.

It’s proven that your ability to absorb damage can decrease the more damage you take. Fighters losing their chins is very real. Taking time off after getting knocked out is a very good idea.

... but that doesn’t mean that some fighters can’t absorb shots better than other fighters can.

It's all anecdotal until you can do an A/B comparison.

Too busy trying to teach people there are no
biological differences between men and women...

My average score for essays was 90% then one day i had to write an essay on feminism. I got 40% from my angry feminist lecturer.

I appealed for a review by the head of the dept, and they bumped it back up to 90%.

I've fucking hated Liberal professors ever since.

It's all anecdotal until you can do an A/B comparison.
That’s a very black and white viewpoint when there is science that proves there is a difference. You just want an extreme experiment.

You just proved my point.

Just like saying "good chin" vs "bad chin". It's not that black and white.
But I’ve never said it like that. There are many factors, but some fighters inherently have great chins and some fighters have weak chins.

You are pretty much saying that we are all built the same and there aren’t people out there that can absorb more punishment than the average person can. Now that is black and white.

Said it for years but whatever

The KO’s he received would have knocked out anyone
Not one of them was a ‘bad chin’ moment
They were all bad defence moments

Kinda like Chuck. He just always gets caught.

You are pretty much saying that we are all built the same and there aren’t people out there that can absorb more punishment...

I've never said that.

There's just no way to prove that (for example) Rampage would "eat" a shot that would KO another fighter.

When people discuss "chin" around here, it's always black and white. Whenever I try to insert nuance in the conversation, people can't handle it.

Pretty much the entire MMA community was wrong about his chin, it's looking fantastic lately. 8 fights, 24 full rounds in a row without getting knocked out, impressive for a HW.

How come we were all wrong?

I can't believe the guy is still fighting after all these years.

I've never said that.

There's just no way to prove that (for example) Rampage would "eat" a shot that would KO another fighter.

When people discuss "chin" around here, it's always black and white. Whenever I try to insert nuance in the conversation, people can't handle it.

I’m all for nuance, but you’re asking for too much, and because of that you are disregarding chins being real.

We’re not going to be able to test it the way you want it to be tested. We’re not going to be able to present to you two punches that are exactly the same, with the same snap, the same placement, and with the recipient of the punch taking the same punch on the exact same spot and with the exact same defensive action or lack of defensive action.

That doesn’t mean that chins aren’t real and it’s petty to use this as reasoning for why chins are myths.

On Rampage: He most likely would survive that punch though. I mean, it’s Tito Ortiz throwing the punches and it’s Rampage Jackson - a guy who has been known to take shots (and bigger shots from bigger punchers) well - so I would expect him to be fine. I’d be gobsmacked if he went unconscious from that 1-2.

Going into Liddell - Ortiz 3, one of the common narratives was that Chuck Liddell would go unconscious if he got hit with any kind of solid punch. It happened and we knew it would most likely happen because we knew his chin had turned into China. I’m pretty sure his doctor back in 2009 or so told him that his ability to absorb punches had decreased.

I’m not sure anybody will be able to convince you to change your mind.

Let me ask you this, and answer it yes or no: Do you think Chuck Liddell lost his ability to take shots to the head as his career went on?

Or was it simply a coincidence and his chin is the same as it always has been?

He was put out in 5 of his last 7 fights, with 4 straight KO losses in his last 4 fights.

Let me ask you this, and answer it yes or no: Do you think Chuck Liddell lost his ability to take shots to the head as his career went on?

Or was it simply a coincidence and his chin is the same as it always has been?

He was put out in 5 of his last 7 fights, with 4 straight KO losses in his last 4 fights.

No such thing as "chin". Nice try though.

<SelenaWow>

You can’t even answer the question. You either can’t admit you’re wrong or you are just trolling.

My initial reply to this thread and my consistent stance is "No such thing as chin". Now you're asking me to answer a question where I would admit that there is such a thing as "chin".

I'm just being consistent.

Back