Are you really sh*****g on Diego?

I doubt there is a single person on here bashing Diego who wouldn't have done the exact same thing if they thought they'd make 100k for it. But I forgot, most of those bashing him are probably streaming all the fights so they don't want to pay for anything.
Exactly. Bullshit that they do win $ anyways. Easy decision when tens of thousands are involved

i totally understand why he would take the dq win, but he should have at least drop the tough guy routine when the decision was read
and also kinda show that even himself knew his "coach" was full of shit when he told him that he won the first round

How many people talking crap would quit in a street fight if you were on the losing end or even got tired. I'd bet 90% of sherdog would be yelling for their friends if they even got mounted in the street.

I would ask the a mutual friend referee to stop the fight and review the illegal strikes on the ground. Then I would collect the DQ money lol

I don’t really see the problem here though. (I didn’t see where he was pretending to be noble.)

Like you said, it was the rational thing for him to do.

- He was hit by a blatantly illegal strike.
- That strike hurt him.
- He has already taken damage.
- He REALLY does not need to take additional damage at this point in his career.
- He can probably use the money.

I find it odd that for some reason having an awareness of the rules and using that knowledge to win is frowned upon in MMA/combat sports but generally accepted in other sports.

No one calls a team a bitch for accepting a roughing the passer penalty instead of declining it.

Soccer players fake injuries ALL THE TIME to run time off the clock.

I think that you are missing the point. This is a guy known for having a warrior heart. He clearly chose his head and by doing so, took a giant dump on his legacy.

Soccer and basketball players “flop/dive” to get penalty calls (I find this annoying as shit but most fans are pretty tolerant.

I get the theoretical “tough guy etiquette” of continuing if you can continue, but Diego wasn’t going to do anything but take more damage, he had nothing for the guy.

I think that you are missing the point. This is a guy known for having a warrior heart but in this instance he chose his head and by doing so, took a giant dump on his legacy.
Guys in similar situation, that were hurt much more than Diego, chose to fight on.
Diego built his rep going out in a blaze of glory, so his quitting was disappointing to his fans.
Eye pokes and groin shots could just be as bad as illegal knees.
The main point in all those instances is if the fighter is able to continue the fight after the foul.
In a lot of cases, a point is taken away and the fighters chose to fight on after a recoup time.
Diego was clearly able to continue the fight ( first he asked if it was a legal blow and when told that it was illegal, after the ref repeatedly asked him if he was good to continue, Diego answered no, illegal blow, clearly being fully aware of the rules).
He chose not to continue fighting although he was fully able. He knew that the only way he was going to win was by DQ, so he quit, even lying that the blood was going in his eyes and that he could not see. He said that with no blood on his face ( the cut man had done his work ) nor his eyes and he was looking directly at the ref.
I don't think , you'd be seeing much of Diego any more and I am sad for him and his fans.
Up to that point I had nothing but respect for the guy.

I think that you are missing the point. This is a guy known for having a warrior heart but in this instance he chose his head and by doing so, took a giant dump on his legacy.
Guys in similar situation, that were hurt much more than Diego, chose to fight on.
Diego built his rep going out in a blaze of glory, so his quitting was disappointing to his fans.
Eye pokes and groin shots could just be as bad as illegal knees.
The main point in all those instances is if the fighter is able to continue the fight after the foul.
In a lot of cases, a point is taken away and the fighters chose to fight on after a recoup time.
Diego was clearly able to continue the fight ( first he asked if it was a legal blow and when told that it was illegal, after the ref repeatedly asked him if he was good to continue, Diego answered no, illegal blow, clearly being fully aware of the rules).
He chose not to continue fighting although he was fully able. He knew that the only way he was going to win was by DQ, so he quit, even lying that the blood was going in his eyes and that he could not see. He said that with no blood on his face ( the cut man had done his work ) nor his eyes and he was looking directly at the ref.
I don't think , you'd be seeing much of Diego any more and I am sad for him and his fans.
Up to that point I had nothing but respect for the guy.
and you should keep having nothing but respect.
His decision was right, Fighters will keep doing fouls if don't get punished.
After an ilegal blow should every one lose the fight, even after the first eyepoke. You can not ask a fighter to keep fighting after getting ilegal hit. Thats isn't in any way fair. If you ilegal hit someone you should lose the fight and get a rematch to prove that you can fight clean.
Only with hard consequences can we make changes.
Smith is so dumb for not taking the DQ win against Jones... he could have give him an instand rematch...

tenor.gif
Is this how uncle DFW feels? Has anyone hears anything from Mr.PunkGooF about this whole Sanchez ordeal?

Seems like after a fighter has made a good career for himself he isn't willing to take the risks and damage that he used to. Think Rampage in the Fedor fight, Cowboy against McGregor, now Diego. Fuck it. They have already proved themselves as genuine badasses. No sense in taking unnecessary damage late in their career. But I understand the criticism too. If they aren't gonna lay it all out there anymore, maybe it is time to hang them up.
you are right but a 100k is a 100k.

I agree with what you said but he clearly could of continued here and looked for a loop hole in the rules to try to steal a w
If he would continue and only one strike would land on that cut his head would probably explode and blood all over him. That's a huge disadvantage that does not get compensated by only 1 point deduction.

Pereira is just stupid AF for throwing that strike, and got punished for it. Deal with it.

People arent taking into account the knee caused a huge cut (blood definitely went in his eyes and prolly blurred his vision despite the wipe off) if he continued he prolly would have taken kicks or knees to the cut and made it alot worse. Why take the extra damage when you dont have to.

Back