Are you a "pussy" if you wear headgear in class?

ZGSON

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I know that the cauliflower ear question gets brought up alot ( i searched), but no one has said wether or not you come off as "pussy" if you show up at class with headgear. No one in my class wears it, the instructor has some pretty good cauliflower ear, but this is his life and hes pro. Now, I want to excel, and put my all in this, but cauliflower ear is something I dont want no matter what. Again, is this considered a bitch move to be the only guy in class wearing head gear? By the way, at most, I do grappling/mma twice a week so I dont even know that I would even develop it.

A pussy with prettier ears I suppose. I would wear a gum shield, box & head gear if possible, but the shit is so uncomfortable. Wear it if you want mate, ignore any negativity.

I don't wear them. But if it makes you feel better, the BJJ coach at school wears headgear.

It's your choice.

Nope. Personally I'd never wear it. But I don't see anything wrong with other wanting to use it.

you should definitely wear it so you get caught in triangles and guillitines

its like living in a state that doesnt have a mandatory motorcycle helmet law. No one's gonna make you and 99 percent won't. But it may be a good idea.

Hamit Aktas said:
Nope. Personally I'd never wear it. But I don't see anything wrong with other wanting to use it.

My thoughts exactly.

Yes. Boxers are pussies for wearing mouthguards too. :wink:

If you want to preserve your body parts, I see no problem in opting out of resembling Matt Lindland. Not all women like guys that have ears that look like dog chew toys.

If you have good technique and always are concious of where your head is then you don't need it and won't get those ugly ass things. Sadly I have got them from Thai boxing from slipping punches :( but they didn't calcify, it's just that draining that SUCKS.

rory_44 said:
yes you are
No you are not! It means you are so badass you can fight with uncomfortable gear. ;)

Seriously, I wrestled with headgear and it wasn't that bad. I don't wear it anymore, but that's just because I haven't wrestled competively for a while and I'm lazy. However, my ears have been huring and starting to get cauli, so I will probably switch back.

Headgear is cheaper than the alternative anyway. Idolizing expensive mutilations like cauli ear as meaningful badges of honor is vanity.

no one will care unless your headgear is huge or from the 60's.

i wear a cup and mouthpiece while rolling, the mouthpiece so i get used to rolling with it but both have saved me in recent classes. no reason to stop wearing them.

i'd wear a headgear if i still had mine. getting your ears drained is kinda painful, and the time off due to stitching sure doesnt improve your game. i do plan on ordering my headgear sometime soon.

Frodo said:
Idolizing expensive mutilations like cauli ear as meaningful badges of honor is vanity.
if you dont get it drained, you end up with the large couture/sakuraba ears so it costs nothing in the way of dollars.

i dont think anyone wants sakuraba ears, no matter how bad ass people in the grappling know might think you are, everyone else think's you're some freak with cancer or some growth in your ears.

Fight_Song said:
if you dont get it drained, you end up with the large couture/sakuraba ears so it costs nothing in the way of dollars.

i dont think anyone wants sakuraba ears, no matter how bad ass people in the grappling know might think you are, everyone else think's you're some freak with cancer or some growth in your ears.
You're right! But I think my idiom still applies.

2 of the best guys in my class wear them & no one ever comment bad about the head gear. We actually encorage them to be use.

Lots of good guys wear them at Rickson's place. It's totally accepted as part of regular training protective gear for many guys every week. Just like wearing a mouthpiece or a cup if you choose to. It's optional gear, and you get comfortable with it quickly.

you shouldn't care what other people think

Back