Are you a "pussy" if you wear headgear in class?

Here in Australia, if you were to walk around with ears like that, they would think you were born that way, because wrestling and BJJ is so unknown.

In some parts in the middle east, wrestlers have such high status that kids will actually hit their ears with rocks and stuff to get cauli...

No your not a pussy from wearing it. But its quite possible that your ears will start to look like a pussy if you dont wear it. Personally I dont wear them.

get the headgear... no matter what anyone says, walking into a boardroom with fucked up ears is not going to do anything for your credibility...

Is Barret Yoshida pussy?
I wear one and it makes my escapes from guillotines, headlocks, triangles more technical, cause I train only no gi.
One of the guys I train with, used to wrestle and he's got some fucked up ears. He barely hear with one of them...

Good responses in this thread. I think I will end up getting some simple head gear, like someone else said, I dont need to walking into the corporate board room with Coutouire ears...

I think Renzo Gracie use them and he said he wish he used them before

BostonBadBoy said:
you should definitely wear it so you get caught in triangles and guillitines

That makes no sense. How the fuck is head gear going to get you caught in anything?

Because it is slightly larger than your head, it creates an edge that can get caught. I've never had a problem with that, but someone might catch your headgear a little bit in a choke, etc.

johil d'o said:
Because it is slightly larger than your head, it creates an edge that can get caught. I've never had a problem with that, but someone might catch your headgear a little bit in a choke, etc.
So i take it you DO wear one?

since were on the subject of cauliflower ears how long does it take to usually get cauliflower ears. Cause i know some times in class when im caught in a choke and i try and wiggle my ear out and later after class my ear hurts. And i train 2 times a week

bjjfighter91 said:
since were on the subject of cauliflower ears how long does it take to usually get cauliflower ears. Cause i know some times in class when im caught in a choke and i try and wiggle my ear out and later after class my ear hurts. And i train 2 times a week
I train 4 times a week, for just about a year, and I don't kane cauli ears, but my right ear is bruised, swelling and sore. The left one is sometimes sore, but the right one is consistant.

No you are not considered a pussy. The fact that you are in class and willing to grapple with others shows you are not a pussy. If you don't want cauli then wear the ear protector. This pussy calling shit is for little kids.

Wolverine
///

i just picked up a pair that i'm going to start wearing while rolling. i've been noticing my ears are always sore, so i figure why not. i probably won't wear them during instruction and drilling, if for nothing else as they make it harder to hear. i won't wear them during competition either, because i'd hate to lose a match because someone got an advantage holding my headgear or whatever.

seriously though, as long as you're committed to learning jiu-jitsu/wrestling/etc and you are a considerate and capable sparring/drilling partner, there's no reason for anyone to care about what protective equipment you wear.

thaiboxgrappler said:
That makes no sense. How the fuck is head gear going to get you caught in anything?

The same way footwear gets you caught in heel hooks.

Try going without it. Most of the time your ears worn't be bothered by BJJ, but if they do, then you might start wearing headgear. You won't get cauli ear instantly if you go without it.

Bama Zulu said:
If you have good technique and always are concious of where your head is then you don't need it and won't get those ugly ass things. Sadly I have got them from Thai boxing from slipping punches :( but they didn't calcify, it's just that draining that SUCKS.
saku and many others have huge cauli's and i'm sure they have better technique and etc. shit happens if you roll enogh. period.

A guy at our school has cauliflower ears and has decided to start wearing head gear to prevent it from getting worse, which was the doctor's suggestion. I wouldn't call him a pussy considering he's 40+ years old and only trains for the fun of it and to stay in shape.

whats more important to you what a couple guys in class think or how you look thats the decision you gotta make? by the way one of the best grapplers in my school wears head gear and i don't think there's 1 person that thinks he's a pussy so prove yourself on the matt and you can go to training wearing a dress and no one will think you are a pussy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back