Are These Fighters Legends or Not (Poll #2)

I voted no for Igor because even though he was tough, fought above his natural weight class his entire career, and had a long career, he didn't win the big fights when needed. I said this in the first thread, fighters from the nineties cant be legends for being a good fighter then and it being a long time ago. 10 years from now will we view Jon Fitch or Jake Shields as legends?

I'm confused. How can anyone say Frank Shamrock is but Frank Mir isn't? lol. Dude won the strap twice! Plus he finished Nog via KO and sub, broke Sylvia's arm....I don't get how anyone here can say he's not a legend honestly. Unless the lot of you are all new.

Lol at Igor Cancruschyn being a legend.

Just more evidence that MMA is a pseudo sport. "forget accomplishments, this guy consistently knocked out bums and got thrashed when he fought someone worth a damn, but them KO's though!"

I voted no for Igor because even though he was tough, fought above his natural weight class his entire career, and had a long career, he didn't win the big fights when needed. I said this in the first thread, fighters from the nineties cant be legends for being a good fighter then and it being a long time ago. 10 years from now will we view Jon Fitch or Jake Shields as legends?

Fitch no,but Shields has an amazing resume, you could make an argument for him.

I'm confused. How can anyone say Frank Shamrock is but Frank Mir isn't? lol. Dude won the strap twice! Plus he finished Nog via KO and sub, broke Sylvia's arm....I don't get how anyone here can say he's not a legend honestly. Unless the lot of you are all new.

Again, legend isn't something that denotes talent/merit/fact/authenticity.

Mir accomplishing more(and he certainly did), doesn't mean history will remember him more than Shamrock. Frank has a mythos about him(which I never really agreed with, honestly), in ways that Mir just...doesn't really.

GSP - Yes
Shamrock - Yes
Igor - Yes

Mir - No
Corano - No

All of them except Gina Carano are legends.

I voted no on Mir. He won the belt the first time in a crappy HW division. I mean beating Wes Sims earned him the title shot! The next time he won it, it was not the belt, it was the Interim belt. He didn't beat Big Nog, he beat the shell of a man formerly named Big Nog. The first half of his career was overhyped. Since his return from the accident he has gone 8 - 8.

Now I'll give him that for a man that wasn't supposed to walk following a horrific accident, he has done amazing. He is one of the Best HW submission fighters of all time and that alone gives a good argument for legendary status.

But Frank Shamrock I voted for less about his wins, although he has plenty of impressive wins. Rather I vote for him because he really pioneered a more modern mixed martial arts, and he has also done a lot outside of competing for the sport including organizing events, commentating, and consulting for non - ufc organizations.

Mir accomplishing more(and he certainly did), doesn't mean history will remember him more than Shamrock. Frank has a mythos about him(which I never really agreed with, honestly), in ways that Mir just...doesn't really.

Mir even as a champ was never considered like the best HW out there, Frank is in the same category with people like Hendo, multiple belts in big organizations,was #1 p4p at one point. Still,Mir is a legend.

Mir even as a champ was never considered like the best HW out there, Frank is in the same category with people like Hendo, multiple belts in big organizations,was #1 p4p at one point. Still,Mir is a legend.

Mir has had a few legendary moments in his career, without question, but I don't think he (as a fighter) has that legendary air about him.

Oh, yeah. I get what you are saying. Basically "legend" is nearly synonomous with "hype". Just in a historical way. Shamrock was for sure because he was the champ and "retired" undefeated at the top of his game. I actually agree with the Shamrock one. Mir came along as a new fighter and lost but then he started being known for his submissions when he started winning. Not only his submissions but also having a "no quit" or a "break it" style. He has probably broken more limbs than Palhares and Mir was a champ. I guess for me he's a legend due to accomplishments and then his career being cut short and coming back (sort of like Lawler IMO) and sucking so bad he should have been cut. Then he goes on a tear and wins the belt again.
Trust me, I hate Frank Mir! But as far as I'm concerned he's a legend 100%. History will look back at his losses but hey, this is mma. lol

Igor went on a 37 fight win streak, winning 9 one night no holds barred tournaments, most of them bare-knuckle. Whent to Japan, murdered the monster that was prime Mark Kerr to become the consesus #1 HW in the world (fuck that no contest bs). Then reached the final of the pride OW Grand Prix by beating Sakuraba and Goodridge only to lose to uberroided Mark Coleman (who was all but gifted the tournament). Procedes to go on a 4 fight steak including the near death of Enson and another win over Kerr.

The fact that he lost anything after that, while out of his prime and with a body that wouldn't cooperate anymore, shoudn't matter.

Ice Cold Igor is a fucking legend and seeing him beat Dirty Bob live in Amsterdam is the highlight of all my years watching the sport.

/rant

I voted no on Mir. He won the belt the first time in a crappy HW division. I mean beating Wes Sims earned him the title shot! The next time he won it, it was not the belt, it was the Interim belt. He didn't beat Big Nog, he beat the shell of a man formerly named Big Nog. The first half of his career was overhyped. Since his return from the accident he has gone 8 - 8.

Now I'll give him that for a man that wasn't supposed to walk following a horrific accident, he has done amazing. He is one of the Best HW submission fighters of all time and that alone gives a good argument for legendary status.

But Frank Shamrock I voted for less about his wins, although he has plenty of impressive wins. Rather I vote for him because he really pioneered a more modern mixed martial arts, and he has also done a lot outside of competing for the sport including organizing events, commentating, and consulting for non - ufc organizations.

I agree with Frank Shamrock. I solely base it on how great of a fighter he was and how he was virtually untouchable. Plus the whole, Shamrock fued. Still want them to fight. lol. However, as far as Mir goes he not only beat my favorite HW fighter (Sylvia) for the belt but at the time Sylvia was unstoppable and Mir snapped the shit out of his arm. Mir has a record of breaking shit on people. Honestly, I'd rather be KO'd by CC than fight Mir. Mir would see to it he would snap my shit.

Igor went on a 37 fight win streak, winning 9 one night no holds barred tournaments, most of them bare-knuckle. Whent to Japan, murdered the monster that was prime Mark Kerr to become the consesus #1 HW in the world (fuck that no contest bs). Then reached the final of the pride OW Grand Prix by beating Sakuraba and Goodridge only to lose to uberroided Mark Coleman (who was all but gifted the tournament). Procedes to go on a 4 fight steak including the near death of Enson and another win over Kerr.

The fact that he lost anything after that, while out of his prime and with a body that wouldn't cooperate anymore, shoudn't matter.

Ice Cold Igor is a fucking legend and seeing him beat Dirty Bob live in Amsterdam is the highlight of all my years watching the sport.

/rant
People forget that because Igor was out of his prime when fought in Pride, his best year were when he won tournaments. He fought the best competition he could get back in the day. The same with F Shamrock, the man even beat the shit out of Tito before he was the posterboy of the UFC.

Lots of hate for Mir but he's decimated Nog twice and Big Timmy who also gets hate yet who is/was one of the UFC's most dominate HWs. Won the UFC crown...I'm comfy with him being a legend.

I agree with Frank Shamrock. I solely base it on how great of a fighter he was and how he was virtually untouchable. Plus the whole, Shamrock fued. Still want them to fight. lol. However, as far as Mir goes he not only beat my favorite HW fighter (Sylvia) for the belt but at the time Sylvia was unstoppable and Mir snapped the shit out of his arm. Mir has a record of breaking shit on people. Honestly, I'd rather be KO'd by CC than fight Mir. Mir would see to it he would snap my shit.

It's rare to meet a true fan of Tim Sylvia. But you will enjoy when that poll comes around. I can't stand Sylvia, and I want to reflect on his career and say he sucked, but his UFC career was pretty legit.

Only went for gsp, thinking about it though Vovchanchyn is a yes. Shamrock is borderline, mir and carano are just no

Yes. Frank and Ken Shamrock are both legends. Hopefully, one day they reconcile their differences.

Back