Are These Fighters Legends or Not (Poll #2)

Its almost sickening to see Carano's name next to Igor's....:(

Igor will be remembered forever but he never really got to beat the elite fighters of his day. Came up short in that. Still,his memory will endure for the right reasons,he was exciting,dangerous and fought often

To be fair though the HW division of the day was never really that organised, Igor did beat Kerr in 2000 and unlike Fujita didn't just do it via taking a beating and out cardioing him, he stopped him in 1999 as well although of course the finish wasn't legal. Guys like Goodridge, Enson and Barreto were certainly around the top of the HW division in that era as well.

The reality is that there was a BIG jump forward in both talent and organisation in the HW division around the turn of the millennium as the money on offer in Japan and Zuffa buying the UFC started to have a real impact.

voted no for mir. almost there but not quite

voted no for shamrock. he didn't fight long enough. best win was probly tito.

voted yes for gsp. as much as i hate this guy, yes he's deserves the title

voted no for gina. good but not good enough.

voted yes for igor. at one time he was the number 1 heavyweight in the world.

Have a shitload of dislike for GSP, but he's undoubtedly a legend in the sport.

Mir - Disagree - Unfortunately I think the motorcycle accident cut Frank down pretty bad and while he was able to come back from it, I think things would've been much different.
Frank Shamrock - Yes. Yes indeed.
GSP - Say what you will, he dominated an entire weight class. Yes.
Carano - Nope
Igor - Undisputed legend in my eyes. Igor's the man.

Either there are 14 delusional GSP haters on this board or the diaz brothers each have 7 accounts on sherdog.
I think it's the later bc there can't be 14 ppl that dumb on this planet...

Igor isn't because he achieved nothing besides being "old school"

Being old school is part of being legendary. I'm going to ask you if you've ever fought in MMA before. Not, because I'm going to say you have no business commenting on MMA because that wouldn't be fair but because you wouldn't know the first thing to even begin to appreciate what winning 9 one night tournaments is like. While you try to put down the old school argument, I'm trying to say the opposite. Being a fighter in the old school days is and will always be more "legendary" than anything taking place in today's watered down version of fighting.

If you want to say that Igor is not a legend you have that right but keep the following in mind: he beat 40 men (in a row) in MMA when it was the most violent and brutal. He won many tournaments where you had to fight multiple men in one night. He was middleweight body by today's standards who was knocking out men bigger than him. He has the most vicious highlight reel out of EVERY MMA fighter you can try to muster up. We are still talking about a man who didn't have any UFC or pride belts , 20 years after after the fact. Whether you like it or not he's the only true legend on this list.

no for Mir and Carano

yes for GSP and Vovchanchyn

yes for Frank, but I can't stand the guy and if you give yourself the nickname "the Legend" you deserved to be mocked forever.

Who are the 14 morons that believe the prize fighter that won more UFC title fights than anyone ever is not a legend?

There's a difference between legend and pioneer. Mir and Carano are pioneers.

Frank Mir - Not a legend, good fighter but injuries really hurt his career.

Frank Shamrock - Really good career & entertaining fighter but not sure he has done enough to justify being a legend.

Gina Carano - I think the few fights she had just don't qualify her for being a legend. Nothing against her, but the sample size is too small in my opinion.

Igor Vovchanchyn - Like Frank, Solid fighter & definitely entertaining but not sure he has done enough to warrant being a legend. This one was probably the toughest pick

GSP - Easily a legend, avenged all losses & dominated his weightclass & to top it off walked out when he was on top on his own terms, that to me is the perfect way to finish off a career

Frank - no question about it, one of the pioneers(if not THE pioneer) of cross training, Ice Cold - no doubt he's a legend, GSP - most definitely, Gins Carano - first female mma champ = legend, Frank Mir - fuck nooooooooooooo

Back