Are These Fighters Legends or Not (Poll #2)

Currently 7 GSP haters lashing out with everything they got.

+1 for trying to make a well thought out statement, using valid arguments and good examples

-1000 for comparing Igor to Bisping, that shit is just ridiculous.

Haha sorry. It's not the best example I know but I could not think of any better at the time.

No to Mir, yes to Shamrock, yes to Georges, no to Gina, and of course yes to Igor.
Same for me.

Not sure why people are doubt Igor, he won like seven eight man tourneys in the span of 2.5 years which is pretty much an unprecedented feat so far as I can tell, including three tourneys in one MONTH (March 1996). He's also one of the only mma fighters to ever fight for more than an hour in one night. Add to that the fact that many of his opponents enjoyed a significant weight/reach advantage and I can't really see how he wouldn't be a legend, certainly one of the p4p best mma fighters to compete regardless of weight class, back when there were no weight classes.

Honest question, not trolling:

Why is Igor Vovchanchyn seen more as a legend but not Frank Mir?
I've seen a couple maybe even a few Igor fights and he was really good. I dont know anything other than the praise he gets here and what I saw watching Best of Pride.

Looking at Fight Finder he lost to the greats/goods that he fought. MMA math doesn't apply but I figured I'd take a look at his record anyway for funsies

Sell me this pen

Yes to all except Gina. I was close to saying no for Mir but he won the UFC HW title, a Interim UFC HW title and beat Big Nog twice, once by TKO and once by submission, throw in that he had to recover from a career threatening motorcycle accident and you have a legend.

I've seen a couple maybe even a few Igor fights and he was really good. I dont know anything other than the praise he gets here and what I saw watching Best of Pride.

Looking at Fight Finder he lost to the greats/goods that he fought. MMA math doesn't apply but I figured I'd take a look at his record anyway for funsies

Sell me this pen

Honestly I can't sell you that Igor is a legend and Frank isn't cause I think they both are. However Igor kicked a lot of ass and has a lot of feats that no one else has like winning a bunch of tournaments and beating multiple people on the same day. He was a very short HW and was easily one of the best HWs during most of his career. He was sort of like Fedor before Fedor but with losses sprinkled in probably due to taking so many fights.

He averaged 6.5 fights per year for his career, that's insane when you mostly fight good fighters, especially at HW.

Sell me this pen

One of the really old school guys who managed to stay relevant into the modern era, KO artist, iron chin, tons of tournament wins/massive win streak, and the guy was fucking 5'8 and spent most of his career at HW/OW.

Frank Mir - Toughest choice for me. Has a bunch of losses... and has probably fought for too long, but been the champ and the interim champ on two separate occasions, four years apart - not an easy feat in MMA. Also, I believe still has the record for finishes in the HW division. First guy to sub/ko Big Nog... etc. His accomplishments give him legend status IMO.

Frank Shamrock - Yes. He defined what it meant to be a complete fighter. A true mixed martial artist from the get go.

GSP - Zero question. Yes.

Gina - She opened the doors for female MMA. Sure the competition wasn't stiff, and sure girls like Ronda would fuck her up quick, but she brought WMMA into many a household and probably changed the life of countless females apprehensive of getting in to the sport. I'll give her legend status.

Igor - Zero question. The original HW destroyer. Many people referred to him as the P4P top dog for years.

Honestly I can't sell you that Igor is a legend and Frank isn't cause I think they both are. However Igor kicked a lot of ass and has a lot of feats that no one else has like winning a bunch of tournaments and beating multiple people on the same day. He was a very short HW and was easily one of the best HWs during most of his career. He was sort of like Fedor before Fedor but with losses sprinkled in probably due to taking so many fights.

He averaged 6.5 fights per year for his career, that's insane when you mostly fight good fighters, especially at HW.

I believe Frank should go down as a legend as well, and from what you're telling me Igor sounds like a legend.
I always hear about him and from the fights I watched he looked like a beast.

Anyone who says Big nog is a legend and Frank Mir isn't is a fucking goof

Igor will be remembered forever but he never really got to beat the elite fighters of his day. Came up short in that. Still,his memory will endure for the right reasons,he was exciting,dangerous and fought often

It's offensive that GSP is even on this list.

Tougher calls than the last one. Only Mir (no) and GSP (yes) were easy.

From late 1997 to 1999, Frank was looking like the GOAT, and then he kind of went out on top. So he was definitely regarded as a legend. Coming back shouldn't really hurt his legacy, but it did. I vote yes.

Carano was a star, and she put WAMA on the map, but meh, she wasn't really that good, and her run wasn't long. No for me, but there's a case.

Igor's a character from the early days of the sport and he was also a terrific fighter. I think I voted yes, but I could go either way.

Mir just kind of hung around for ever, but wasn't a top fighter. He was involved in some big moments, but he comes up way short, IMO.

GSP is one of four guys who you can defensibly call the MMA GOAT.

Sell me this pen

Seems to me that the closer you get to the present and (related but separate) after you get past the first few years, the more your skill as a fighter gets weighted in this consideration. Igor wasn't much better than Mir, but there were stories about him and he had mystique, while Mir's just a guy we all remember as a fringe contender.

I put No, Yes, No, No, No

Note: GSP and Igor are close, but the main issue with GSP is that he just semi-retired recently, and usually people are considered legends years after they stopped fighting.

Back