Are there legitimate takedown techniques in BJJ that work on anybody?

spacetime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Suppose all I train is Brazilian Jujitsu for 2 years. Will I in that alloted time be proficient at taking down solid opposition, or is my ass toasted standing?

Suppose I don't know anything about striking, wrestling or Judo.

Can BJJ work on it's own?

Depends on where you train and what their focus is and what situations you are looking to apply the art in.

Depends on where you train and what their focus is and what situations you are looking to apply the art in.

Freestyle fighting. Can BJJ hold it's own there? What type of takedowns will one master if you get the full curriculum, and will they be sufficent agaisnt Judokas and wrestlers?

It can if you are in a one on one type situation. In most real fight situations though that luxury is not guaranteed.

Again it depends on the gym you train at. Some gyms wont even let you spar from standing in the first two years. Some will not even let you spar. It also depends on your game and what you are trying to accomplish with it. That will directly affect the take downs you choose for yourself.

There is not a secret formula. It's all about hard work and grit. You need to just keep working at it. No one technique works 100% of the time. It's not magic. It's knowing how and when to move your opponent.

We start standing at my gym. Most of the time I just sit because,
1. I am an older guy
2. I want to limit my injuries.

When I begin my competition training I'll start standing.

It can if you are in a one on one type situation. In most real fight situations though that luxury is not guaranteed.

Again it depends on the gym you train at. Some gyms wont even let you spar from standing in the first two years. .

That's pretty bad if one want's to learn BJJ for self defence. Most people who are likely to attack you are of similiar or bigger size and you need to take them down if all you know is BJJ.

It's not that hard to take down someone who hasn't trained judo/wrestling/sambo. If the question is could you take down a guy who had had judo/sambo/wrestling training, then the possibility would me much smaller.

It's not that hard to take down someone who hasn't trained judo/wrestling/sambo. If the question is could you take down a guy who had had judo/sambo/wrestling training, then the possibility would me much smaller.

Yet in style vs style, you prefer BJJ? How would they ever survive a clinch?

It's not that hard to take down someone who hasn't trained judo/wrestling/sambo. r.

You think a pure BJJ black belt could take down a Muay Thai fighter in a clinch, no holds barred?

depends if you train takedowns or not.

a lot of bjj dojos dont focus heavily on take downs. if you do, then you can certainly get good at it in two years time. "solid opposition" is about as vague and subjective as you can get

You think a pure BJJ black belt could take down a Muay Thai fighter in a clinch, no holds barred?

What is a "pure" BJJ black belt? There are techniques from judo, wrestling and sambo in BJJ.

Back