Are there legitimate takedown techniques in BJJ that work on anybody?

I am not the user known as "Karatestylist", and that's no way to adress the offspring of a world class Karateka. Having established that, do you wish to have another go at my question or was it too deep for you?

- See. That is actually a good come-back.

When you look through an old thread, half the guys have been banned despite providing reasonably decent content. This muppet just creates one dumbass troll thread after the next but doesn't get booted. What gives?

- He knows the rules and plays with the rule book under his arms.

Its gonna be alot tougher while eating strikes. Strikes change the game greatly, esp. if the person is not used to getting hit. The natural instinct is to protect and defend when hit

Yeah... Why would you put your money on the practitioner who's had no clinch training at all and at worst no throws trained either...

Yeah... Why would you put your money on the practitioner who's had no clinch training at all and at worst no throws trained either...
I think alot of times grapplers pass off striking as nothing, and assume mental toughness will carry through; but thats not true. It happens only with a small minority of people, and even then they usually have competitive exp (MT fights/exibitions). Its good to have fiath in your training, but don't be ignorant about it. I've seen first hand at ammy MMA where purebred grapplers that have 1-2 camps worth of rudimentary striking get shut down badly by a good striker with okay TDD, and it was hard to watch.

It's amazing how this guy not only manages to have the longest threads in the grappling forum despite blatant trolling, but also that he hasn't been banned. This must be a mod's troll account.

Hmmm...Is spacetime trolling?....

Seems like a common pattern with that profile....

Why would it vary if there are BJ takedown techniques in the art? A judoka who instructs what he learned before taking BJJ is of course not what I asked about.

You realise that Bjj is judo!

Let say that I create my own Bjj training program: curriculum.

In fact I just completed it yesterday.

We have 6-8 throws taught this semester one.

Each throw will taught by using its judo name and taught by a kodokan shodan.

Each throw has been chosen to pair with the topic of the week. Just like you match a type of wine to a meal.

For ecample , osoto gari will be taught during the knee on the belly we cover.

So that 2 week of osoto gari for semester one.

Hmmm...Is spacetime trolling?....

No, I asked a question as a layman. I don't know. I don't practice the art. Is that so hard to understand? I know this isn't the science forum but I would expect more brain power than this..

No, BJJ is jujitsu, which Judo and BJJ are styles of. If BJJ was Brazilian Judo, throws would be an integral part of the art.

Judo throws are used in bjj and taught because it is judo. Lol.

There is no Bjj throws of such. Lol

The reason why lot of Bjj players do not spar tachiwaza and learn Judo throws is because they don't like stand up.

As soonest some brasilians bb has some good tachiwaza skills. It is often assumed that he had to go cross train in judo or wrestling but that does necessarily have to be the case.

My friend went to a gym that had an internal Bjj Comp. And no one pulled guard. That was refreshing.

Last edited:
No, BJJ is jujitsu, which Judo and BJJ are styles of. If BJJ was Brazilian Judo, throws would be an integral part of the art.

They are integrap part of the art.

The fact that throws are not taught in some gyms just shows poor curriculum.

Just like some gyms don't do self defense.
Bjj as an art is not uniform acrross gyms (even within a so called affiliation program where everyone is supposed to teach the same program)

The fact that throws are not taught in some gyms just shows poor curriculum.
If you treat bjj as a sport (as I believe you should) most judo throws aren't really a good investment in terms of getting good results in competitions.

If you treat bjj as a sport (as I believe you should) most judo throws aren't really a good investment in terms of getting good results in competitions.

I agree.

A throw is just 2 points.

Not really worth the time to learn as you can just pull guard and sweep for the same of amount of points.

It would now become a topic of sport vs self defense.

The problem is Bjj guys are complecent in their stand up skills due to their sport fascination.

They rarely do stand up or train with strikes but yet they are super confident they could "hang" if required.

Is it not just blind faith,,?

My biggest problem with standup in BJJ class isn't the lack of frequency or emphasis in technique choice, it's the fact that at least half of your training partners are guaranteed to stiff arm and stall the entire round until you do something silly, grind them out, or pull guard. It's always the guys with abysmal guards too. A stunning number of casual practitioners over a certain size don't want to do takedowns or guardwork, but instead seem to only want to engage if they can somehow magically teleport into top position.

dominant position and lookin fuckin' cool aren't good results?

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

pzvtbn7i4hwcpopvgpj0.gif

dominant position and lookin fuckin' cool aren't good results?

You don't look cool if your opponent pulls guard.
Usually in a bjj competition not a lot of the better people want to play judo with you.
Top guard is not a particularly dominant position.

Last edited:
we practiced double-legs all day today in bjj class. yesterday we did hang-singles with the gi.

and this is a shit troll thread

Is what you're guys saying that honing groundgrappling skills translate to stand up grappling?

If your reversals from bottom are essentially the same as your takedowns from neutral, then yes.

Back