Elections Are there better options to the electoral college?

Singapore? how does a 30 mile long island with a population of 5.5 million people have any direct comparison to the USA?

How to make multiculturalism work, for one.

Hmm. I don't think Singapore is generalizable. The whole world can't be a trading hub and tax haven, and basically, they had a juicy enough setup that the gov't basically couldn't fail.

You're wrong about the left, IMO. The spectrum is defined partly in terms of equality, but I don't think if you asked people what the main goal of governance is, anyone would say "equality." That's just a kind of baseline. And aren't people in modern liberal democracies the healthiest people to have existed, all things considered?

Physically healthiest? No, not even close.

How to make multiculturalism work, for one.

again, making that work in a tiny wealthy city-state is apples vs oranges compared to the USA. I've never been to singapore, it looks amazing. but, i need some help understanding how it's analogous to the USA in just about any way?

What metrics are you looking at?

Studies of ancient remains, Bronze Age peoples, hunter gatherers, etc.

Also, the average woman now weighs what the average man did in the 60s. People now are fatter and less well nourished, and in poorer physical shape.

Studies of ancient remains, Bronze Age peoples, hunter gatherers, etc.

Also, the average woman now weighs what the average man did in the 60s. People now are fatter and less well nourished, and in poorer physical shape.

What metrics do you get from the studies?

And, yeah, the fact that people are getting heavier seems to be a point in favor of us having a healthier society, though obesity is a problem.

If a State feels they have no true representation in the future of the republic as a whole why should they want to continue as part of the Republic. Why not simply secede with any like minded states and form their own union?

Correct. That is what would happen without the Electoral College. The U.S.A. would have never been formed without it.

What metrics do you get from the studies?

And, yeah, the fact that people are getting heavier seems to be a point in favor of us having a healthier society, though obesity is a problem.

Are you really going to make me go dig up the bone density, strength and modern malnutrition papers.

Are you really going to make me go dig up the bone density, strength and modern malnutrition papers.

I'm curious about it. If it's too much work, fine, but I'm not inclined to agree here without seeing some evidence.

Though I will say that I was thinking more in terms of post H&G societies.

Yes, the Electoral University. I propose a university that only accepts people with my political opinions, and to be a part of the electoral college, you must graduate from the Electoral University. It's not much different than the current university system.

Correct. That is what would happen without the Electoral College. The U.S.A. would have never been formed without it.
you're just making things up. The EC is not the bond that binds us

you're just making things up. The EC is not the bond that binds us

It certainly is and element that bonds us and there is a reason why it is the longest and most detailed part of the U.S. Constitution.

electoral college, tried and true
in person voting, tried and true
mass mailing = fraud

Keep the college, but set up federal rules regarding faithless electors.

You cannot allow a rogue activist from either side to disenfranchise the will of the electorate based on a personal decision.

It should accurately reflect the will of the people in that state.
If you're system is flawed to the point it needs a faithless elector law, perhaps that system is overdue for replacement.

Popular vote makes the most sense as each vote is worth the same.

Giving each state one vote makes absolutely no sense and should never seriously be discussed.

Just LMFAO at 1 state 1 vote.

What an odd coincidence that some people are suddenly pushing for that. I wonder what happened recently to cause this phenomenon?

Not sure why there's a fear of states losing their representation or power. The Senate guarantees enormous weighted power/representation to the less populated states.

We have the technology so that every single person can vote with their phone, validate their vote, and go by the popular vote. It should be this way to be totally fair.

Back