Elections Are there better options to the electoral college?

nhbbear

Duty Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
I am just curious, moving forward, are there better options?

Popular vote?

Number of states counted per candidate?

Something else?

Personally, I wouldn’t mind seeing a shift to there being 50 votes-one for each state, and if there is a tie, they go to total number of votes. My reasoning for this is that some states hold so much more power than other states.

Biden didn’t visit my state once. Not once. Trump was here probably four times. In my city as well. How in the hell could I consider Biden to have any of my interests or represent me since he doesn’t give enough of a shit to come here? I dint think the state ever was even uttered by him.

And if this occurred, would it favor one candidate?

I think trump would win this because he has more states, Biden just got the more populous states. Maybe a better strategy, but when you look at a giant red wall in the center of the country, that is all states he lost and won’t think about until the next election.

I dint like either candidate. I think that trump is as unpresidential as one could get. He promotes division. Biden is dangerous to rights many Americans hold dear and is divisive in his own way. I also think he will step aside to allow his window dressing vp take the reigns.

The 1 vote per state is interesting. Idk if there is a "better" method. Certainly as a left leaning individual, popular vote would ensure victory basically every time but, that's not exactly fair either.

One thing that needs to change is expansion of the house and removal of gerrymandering cause fuck gerrymandering no matter who does it

The Electoral college is the most balanced approach. It gives each state a voice, while still acknowledging the population of those states. Using the popular vote would be the next best option, since it puts every single vote on an equal playing field.

Giving each state one vote would be absolutely terrible, since you'd be saying 40,000,000 Americans in California should have the same influence as 500,000 in Wyoming. 30,000,000 in Texas has the same influence as 600,000 in Vermont. That would be incredibly dismissive of 10s of millions of American votes.

As for campaigning, the candidates really only visit states that they need to battle for. Unless they are just holding a rally for the TV cameras. Nobody ever visits my state because my state is never up for grabs. But if you live in Pennsylvania, both candidates are there every single year for extended periods of time and running endless ads.

I think the electoral college would work much better if it wasn't winner takes all. Give states an odd number of electoral votes, then split up the votes by % of the electorates' vote, then give the winner of the state the last additional vote.

There should be no consideration of states in a presidential election. The presidency is a federal position. The states are specifically recognized and uniquely represented in the Congress.

The way states determine a governor is the way the US should determine a president - through a popular vote.

I think the electoral college is fine. If you go popular vote, that can lead to mob mentality voting tendencies in densely populated cities and would skew things to whatever big cities wanted.

1 vote per state is a terrible idea and unfair.

If for some hypothetical reason Biden won the Electoral vote and Trump won the popular, Dems wouldn't be complaining.
Its a pseudo-issue

Imagine giving a state with under a million people the same amount of power as a state like Texas or Cali. That’s even worse.

There are better solutions to the electoral college, but getting both sides to agree would be the hard part.

I don’t understand the logic behind winner takes all for a given state. If Florida has 29 votes why can’t it be split 15-14 for example according to the proportion of ballots for each candidate.

A few states already do that, and I think it makes more sense.

I think the electoral college is fine. If you go popular vote, that can lead to mob mentality voting tendencies in densely populated cities and would skew things to whatever big cities wanted.

1 vote per state is a terrible idea and unfair.

No it wouldn't, you'd still have localized voting at the state and municipal level. San Francisco can't affect what's going on in Maine. The president matters, but your Governor is the one with the vast majority of political effect on your life.

The Electoral college is the most balanced approach. It gives each state a voice, while still acknowledging the population of those states. Using the popular vote would be the next best option, since it puts every single vote on an equal playing field.

Giving each state one vote would be absolutely terrible, since you'd be saying 40,000,000 Americans in California should have the same influence as 500,000 in Wyoming. 30,000,000 in Texas has the same influence as 600,000 in Vermont. That would be incredibly dismissive of 10s of millions of American votes.

As for campaigning, the candidates really only visit states that they need to battle for. Unless they are just holding a rally for the TV cameras. Nobody ever visits my state because my state is never up for grabs. But if you live in Pennsylvania, both candidates are there every single year for extended periods of time and running endless ads.

Understand, I am not advocating to abolish the electoral vote, but some have, which is why I was curious to what alternatives there are. Do you feel represented since no one visits your state?

One vote per State is quite honestly one of the worst ways to decide the Presidential Election

Could you expand? I am seriously asking. The reason I suggested this as a possibility is because some states are simply overlooked and neither candidate cares about those states. How can they possibly be represented without having equal power. Each state still has popular vote deciding the state, but now each state actually matters

Back