Are pushups any good ? or not worth doing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carl25

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Lately i've been doing them before going for a shower or just random times. I like doing the ones with your arms kinda far and my hands closer towards my pelvis than shoulders. Seems to work the chest more

push ups are good for you...do a variety of push ups for best results (hands: shoulder length apart, together, past shoulder width but farther past the head (glide push ups), etc.)

past a certain point of increasing reps it becomes almost pointless for strength gains. Be careful with your elbow...if it starts hurting, even if just a little, stop.

Compound movements like pushups are second to none. Pushups are... absolutely necessary.

Pushups and pullups, they've been the base for hundreds, thousands of years. They're like the colors blue and red

yep big pushup fan here to , i go to failure rest 10 secs failure again and so on for bout 8 mins good fun eh

compound movements like pushups are second to none. Pushups are... Absolutely necessary.

Pushups and pullups, they've been the base for hundreds, thousands of years. They're like the colors blue and red
qft

personally, i like pushups.
i do pushups/situps/squats.
10/10/10
9/9/9 ect down to 1/1/1 and then 10/10/10 again. no stopping
this breaks the boredom, it works out to be 65/65/65

Pushups are a good supplement to a program, but there is only so much you can do with them. For example, once you are able to do quite a few straight, it's not really doing anything to help strength unless you start adding weight. I wouldn't make them the basis of a program, but they can be a good supplement.

I like pushups. Besides everything mentioned above, it is an extremely functional movement, IMO.

I used to put a plate on my back for added resistance, but now I usually just get my pushups in with burpees.

Pushups are a good supplement to a program, but there is only so much you can do with them. For example, once you are able to do quite a few straight, it's not really doing anything to help strength unless you start adding weight. I wouldn't make them the basis of a program, but they can be a good supplement.

A weighted vest is your friend. Actual practicality can stretch far beyond weighted push ups.

Edit: And not the pussy 20-40lbs vest either. I'm talking 70-150 or more...

Edit: And not the pussy 20-40lbs vest either. I'm talking 70-150 or more...

I think I'd just do bench pressing before I wore a fucking 150lb vest. Not to mention that most vests that heavy are hard to find and expensive as fuck. I'm not saying it wouldn't be decent from a training perspective but I'm not sure it's very practical.

There are so many variations of the push-up I don't know how anyone can get bored with them. Try doing them with elbows in, hindu push-ups, dive-bombers, diamond push-ups, and even decline push-ups. I can't say I am a fan of them but they definately have a place in any work-out.

Originally Posted by Oblivian

It doesn't do anything for strength? Do some research on tempo training. You can gain more functional, and core strength from pushups alone than you can using gym equipment. Go to a gym seek out a highly skilled trainer, preferably one with a NASM certification, you can learn alot in a few sessions, a great investment.

It doesn't do anything for strength? Do some research on tempo training. You can gain more functional, and core strength from pushups alone than you can using gym equipment. Go to a gym seek out a highly skilled trainer, preferably one with a NASM certification, you can learn alot in a few sessions, a great investment.

blank-facepalm.gif

Yeah Oblivian why don't you go out and learn how to actually train lol

Last edited:

he is refering to power strength, as in doing a lot of pushups will only help your max load push so much. In other words every 10 pushups you can do consecutively aren't going to translate to increasing your benchpress max.

One thing other than a weight vest is also elastic tension bands. I use a homemade 20lbs weight vest and a large tension band and I can only do six or seven reps as opposed to the normal 70 or 80 I do with no additional resistance. Plyo push ups are great too, try the clap pushups and the medicine ball pushups as well. Push ups are one of the those exercises that if you aren't getting some benefit from it you aren't being creative enough.

facepalm.jpg

Lol. Ya bro, pushups will do a lot more for strength than Squats, Deadlifts, Overhead Press, Power Cleans, etc. Those powerlifters have their training methods completely wrong.

When I said it won't do anything for strength, I was referring to BW pushups. Also, I guess I should correct that I didn't mean the word "anything" to be taken that literally. Pushups (without weight added) could probably help some gain strength, but not many. Do I need to post the chart to explain rep ranges to you? I don't know why you think sets of 50 pushups would be that beneficial for strength gains.

Plyo push ups are great too, try the clap pushups and the medicine ball pushups as well. Push ups are one of the those exercises that if you aren't getting some benefit from it you aren't being creative enough.

Other ones that are great are medicine ball ones where you go side to side, or using hex dumbells do a pushup then a plank row, then a pushup, row other side.

Other ones that are great are medicine ball ones where you go side to side, or using hex dumbells do a pushup then a plank row, then a pushup, row other side.

yeah, it's like doing a blonde, redhead or brunette; you can't go wrong with any of them.

I think I'd just do bench pressing before I wore a fucking 150lb vest. Not to mention that most vests that heavy are hard to find and expensive as fuck. I'm not saying it wouldn't be decent from a training perspective but I'm not sure it's very practical.

True. Most weight sets are cheaper than those vests, but they're useful if you intend on being a firefighter... :icon_chee

Although you could use it for quick training at the house: Lunges, push ups, squats, sit ups, etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back