Are people underestimating the weight difference between 185lbs and 205lbs

I just hope Jan makes it interesting and tries to mix in takedowns if he can't catch Izzy bc of the speed difference. He is an underrated grappler. Very solid ground game.

Crossing fingers that he won't freeze like Romero and Costa lol

It’s like Petr Yan moving up to challenge Khabib.

20lbs is the largest weight difference between two divisions with an official weight. I would even argue that a lot of HW’s are LHW’s with high BMI’s that don’t cut weight. I think most LHW’s couldn’t cut an extra 20lbs to make 185lbs if their life depended on it.

I’ll cut straight to the chase, I’m rooting for Adesanya, but I won’t be surprised if he gets knocked out by Jan. Let’s not forget what former WW Kelvin Gastelum did to his face:

izzy.0.jpg

Polish power is going to feel different:

20lbs means less for MW moving up than it does for BW moving up since it's percentage of their bodyweight. MWs have won before at LHW, hell some have even won at HW. There's a reason why in every combat sport the weight classes begin to separate from each other with greater differences compared to smaller weight classes which are divided between 5~7 pounds.

I think it’s Jan they’re underestimating more than the weight.

He beat Souza and Luke to get a title shot. Won it in dramatic fashion, but by then folks had already made up their minds about him.

Silva beat Forrest and GSP beat Bisping. Folks simply believe Jan is that level of champion.
I think Silva beat Bonnar, not Griifin.

We will see. Izzy is much faster and a much better striker. If they were going to be grappling heavy I think it would be a bigger issue.

I don't think Izzy will find himself in any of those positions TS has Jan opponents in GIFS, he'll fight like an outside fighter, picking him apart and move laterally at the speed of a demon... He's not looking to get touched or he wouldn't be coming in the weight he is imo.

He got KO'd by Piera the only time thats ever happened (which i said in my previous post in which I extended some agreement ) and Alex Piera is a middleweight so i dont know what your trying to say in terms of him dealing with the power of a LHW (unless your saying thats the only power puncher hes faced in kickboxing which i doubt, let alone MMA). Anyways this is getting convoluted your like ratio definitely makes sense
P.S. im rooting for Jan
Yes I meant the only power punchers he met in kickboxing was in Glory from a MW. The kickboxers he fought in heavier weight classes shouldn't be compared to UFC fighters, especially a LHW UFC Champion. They were lower level competition and kickboxing in general doesn't have many power punchers or punch KO artists. They are more kick focused arts and punches are just used to set up kicks.

It's different in Glory because they have fighters that cross train pure boxing so the fighters in general in Glory are more boxing focused compared to traditional kickboxing/muay thai styles. So the only real punching power he competed against in kickboxing happened in Glory.

I do want Adesanya to win so there is a possibility of a Jon Jones fight in the future. But I understand the risk in the fight and the strengths and weaknesses in Adesanya's style that can be exploited by Jan, if he and his team also see the same exploits. I don't think it's an easy fight like most fans do. Most fans thought Reyes was an easy win vs Jan for the vacant title, and look how that fight ended up.

Last edited:
Back