Are people underestimating the weight difference between 185lbs and 205lbs

“He beat Souza” who was 40 years old , 10 bjjblack belt world championship, 36 pro mma fights, and a bunch of surgeries.
Oh and lets not forget he completed all his life at MW.
yeah.. what an achievement for Jan’s legacy...
Thank you for proving my point. You agree 100% with what I said, correct?

Isn’t Izzy, small for 185? I think he recently weighed in wearing jeans. So it’s almost like he is jumping two classes

adesanya is not even close to silva jan will stiff him he s not souless like whittaker or a brickhead like costa

I know the weight difference isn’t as big but the difference between welterweights and middleweights seems huge. Their frames just look way bigger

Mousasi, Santos, Smith etc also had success at 205

But I'm picking Jan by KO anyway, don't think Israel is anything special

Plenty of guys have had success at 205 with minimal weight cut, which is where Izzy will be.

Hendo and Machida have weighed in at 202, 203 and were both top of the food chain at LHW at one point.

It is more “big LHW” vs “LHW that doesn’t cut” than big LHW vs MW.

Does Jan clinch and dirty box? Does he wrestle? Those things really help the bigger stronger man in mma.

If the answer is no on every one of those then Israel has a good chance.

We've seen smaller fighters beat bigger fighters a million times.
Remeber Royce?
Sakuraba?
Couture?
Serra?
Silva?
BJ?
Cejudo?

Ironic that TS' sig is "Precision beats power, timing beats speed."
Tell me, TS, which one of the two has better precision and timing?
Don't forget Minowaman :)

HW and LHW are the only 2 real divisions. MW may get a pass cause some can compete up a bit...

Rest are really jus "Toy Divisions" with Dancers and Acrobats. Sure let the lil folks scrap but let's not pretend it matters.

It’s like Petr Yan moving up to challenge Khabib.

20lbs is the largest weight difference between two divisions with an official weight. I would even argue that a lot of HW’s are LHW’s with high BMI’s that don’t cut weight. I think most LHW’s couldn’t cut an extra 20lbs to make 185lbs if their life depended on it.

I’ll cut straight to the chase, I’m rooting for Adesanya, but I won’t be surprised if he gets knocked out by Jan. Let’s not forget what former WW Kelvin Gastelum did to his face:

izzy.0.jpg

Polish power is going to feel different:

Yes. Most don't understand the real power/size difference that is separated in weight classes. Adesanya can stil win because of his skills. But to pretend that he's not at a disadvantage isn't the right assessment on the situation.

We've seen smaller fighters beat bigger fighters a million times.
Remeber Royce?
Sakuraba?
Couture?
Serra?
Silva?
BJ?
Cejudo?

Ironic that TS' sig is "Precision beats power, timing beats speed."
Tell me, TS, which one of the two has better precision and timing?
Yes, skills can overcome physical disadvantages in a fight. That doesn't mean there aren't disadvantages that needed to be overcome in that fight.

Izzy has fought at heavyweight in kickboxing (which is 215 Ib I think) . Although those fights weren't with 4 ounce gloves I still think he knows what a punch from a LHW feels like . BUT when it comes to the wrestling , grappling and clinch work I feel like he's in for a rude awakening about strength and size difference (if it gets there) . Who knows though Jan could knock him out with Legendary Polish Power™
Most kickboxers/muay thai fighters aren't known for punching power. They are mostly focused on their kicking game and most KOs are from kicks. The ones with punching KO power usually stand out from those combat sports because there isn't many. Boxing isn't what those styles practice on the most, it's always used to just set up their kicks. Kicks score more in those disciplines. That's why the boxing is usually kept at a basic level and kicks are their specialty.

Anderson Silva made it look pretty easy.
He had the skills and KO finishing ability to be effective in a higher weight class. It won't work as well for the fighters that can't hit above their weight class. There will be a power difference in the strikes. Also depends how durable they are. Can they take the hits from stronger/heavier fighters?

Izzy is fast as hell and he’s not bulking up so he’ll have a massive speed advantage. 20-30 pounds is a pretty good amount but he’s also tall, long and fast with great striking. I wouldn’t count him out either
He will definitely have the skill and speed advantage. The real question is can he handle the stronger strikes from stronger/heavier fighters with KO power? Can Jan land hard enough on Adesanya is the real question in this fight, that is if Jan doesn't try to exploit Adesanya's grappling/clinching game. Adesanya has been KO, his chin isn't the most durable that's why he prefers to be elusive and fight on the outside. Same reason he fought Yoel the way he did after Yoel landed on him. KG almost TKO him and Jan will be hitting harder than KG. Adesanya has a lot of ways to win, but he also has a lot of ways to lose.

Most kickboxers/muay thai fighters aren't known for punching power. They are mostly focused on their kicking game and most KOs are from kicks. The ones with punching KO power usually stand out from those combat sports because there isn't many. Boxing isn't what those styles practice on the most, it's always used to just set up their kicks. Kicks score more in those disciplines. That's why the boxing is usually kept at a basic level and kicks are their specialty.
seems like a baseless assertion to me that to be honest you quite often do . At any rate i think the size of the gloves will be the biggest difference in terms of punching power . Romero hit him once clean and he was extremely timid after so i guess theres something to what your saying.

Deontay Wilder weighs 212 pounds and is able to knock out every heavyweight in the world. Jan weighs about 220 so yeah he is getting in there with heavyweight level power.

I dont think Izzy can take his power shots, but I also dont know if Jan can land them

Back